“Super chic for nighttime goers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #184 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Super chic for nighttime goers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I planned a trip to NYC for the first time and the staff where very friendly and helpful to my needs. I may be writing a review almost a year later but I still remember this one girl not by name but we spoke about Canadian things and her recent(at the time) trip to Canada I would like to say her name is Ann Marie or she had a French kind of name. She was a doll and I would hope she still works there cause she always brought a smile to my face when I came down. She showed me where the gay nightlife was in NYC and recommended some great places for dinner.
Definitely a place and staff I will always remember.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Garnishedingold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Friendly hotel with basic, functional, but very comfortable rooms. I originally booked Park Central but cancelled it because Pod 39 was $150 cheaper for two nights and had a taco restaurant... I haven't considered booking any other hotel in New York since.

2 Thank Georgina M
augusta ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I had stayed at the pod 51 two years prior to this trip and loved the modern style of the hotel. I was excited this pod had a restaurant and rooftop bar! We arrived at 11 and couldn't check in early so they let us leave our bags. We came back much later and checked into our room. Tiny but comfy. We knew we wouldn't spend much time in the room so size didn't matter. The bathroom didn't have a door, just frosted glass....,,that was uncomfortable but since I was with my husband we dealt with the potentially awkward situation . (There are several bathrooms on the garage level) just a shower and if you took a long shower the water would flood the whole floor since there was no separation in the bathroom. Water pressure was great and hot! I loved that the windows opened without a screen, it helped the room size not feel claustrophobic .

The restaurant was closing by the time we got settled and were ready for a bite to eat. They let us sit and and have a beer until the kitchen opened back up, they serve a cider that is my new favourite!!, it's $10 but worth it!!! They are cool with you taking beverages back up to the rooftop so we did that often.

The rooftop bar was under construction but we still spent every evening up there. The view is great of the city and you can see a portion of the river really well.
We would stay here again due to the fact it was $100 cheaper than most other hotels and it's super cute and modern .

Room Tip: Stay at a higher level to Avoid city street noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HopeKey
Mold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here as a group of 20+ as part of our University Course and the location was fantastic. you are 5-minute walk from Bryant Park and Grand Central station. Everything about the hotel is weird and wonderful (hence the title). For the price, you won't get much better in this area of Manhattan and although most of the rooms are small and minimalist, the beds are reasonable and it caters for all your basic needs. This hotel was an important part of a wonderful experience of an extraordinary city. There is nowhere quite like New York. The staff were very friendly and helpful whenever possible. Deborah who works reception is an absolute worldie :D

Room Tip: If you want price and quality, then just look at the reviews. This place is a gudden
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Listen, this hotel is not bad, but for the price per room, I probably should have just booked a normal hotel room for the additional $30 per night. The rooms are small, the website pics are a bit misleading, but I give the photographer props for a good job! LOL The glass bathroom door was not appreciated, but thanks to prior reviews, I knew that going into the booking. The biggest issue I actually had with the bathroom was the shower. The water was great but the shower curtain was too small and the entire bathroom was wet until I was through. Also on the plus side, the room was very clean, bed was fairly comfy for a twin size bunk. I had a little trouble keeping the room cool overnight, but it wasn't awful. Also, the staff was great, very friendly and helpful.
I'm rating only a 3 because for the tiny accomodations, the price was too large.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PG49er
Reading, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

My fiance and I travelled to New York right after Christmas, returning before the New Year, and can I just say... "WOW!" I absolutely love this City! And Pod was just fantastic.

Pod is quite literally as the name suggests, a nice little 'Pod' in NYC. The rooms are quite small, but by no means is that a bad thing. We found ourselves only really sleeping here anyway! There is so much to do in New York that coming back to a little room where you can just take a lie down was perfect. The toilet and shower facilities were extremely nice and the room came with a safe for all of our valuables. The bed has a drawer beneath it for clothes and also a space for you to slot your luggage. There is also a rail to hang shirts and some coat pegs. The room also comes with a desk, perfect for planning your next exploration into the heart of the City.

The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. We were able to leave our luggage upon arrival so that we could go straight out and explore as we waited for our room to be ready. The same can be said about leaving, the hotel was happy to take our luggage and store it so we could soak up the sights.

Location wise Pod is perfect. The Empire State is about 5 blocks down, Grand Central roughly 3 blocks up and the Chrysler Building is in the neighbourhood! We were 3 blocks away from 5th Avenue and with easy access to Grand Central, a little more than 'a stones throw' from the entire City on the subway, which by the way is extremely easy to use and we found the best way to get around.

It's safe to say you can expect to do a lot of walking around the City, but coming back to Pod was something we looked forward to for a little break and relaxation.

We will definitely be coming back to New York City, and Pod is going to be the hotel at the top of our list! We loved it.

2 Thank SmylieNoah
Marilia, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Despite the bedroom size (really small) it is incredibly comfortable and clean. It has a bunk, so for those who want to sleep together, specially if you are in a honeymoon, that won't be possible. But for me and my fiancee that wasn't a problem at all (since we weren't in honeymoon). We really enjoyed the hotel. The staff is really friendly and very polite. They offer shuttle services for the airports (but you have to pay for it) and they have a tour agency. The location is good also, near subways and main attractions.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are pretty much the same.