“Fine for a one-night stay”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #191 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at Pod39 for one night and it met all my expectations. You can see how small the rooms are going to be on the website when booking. I booked a single room, but was upgraded to a double on arrival (thank goodness, cos the extra space was helpful). Yes, the room is small, the bathroom is only partitioned off by opaque glass, not solid walls, and there is no room for your suitcase (except under the bed). But there is a comfy bed, lots of power points (and USB points) for phones, iPods and computers, a good shower with lots of hot water and it's very clean.

The only problem I had was with some really bad pipe-banging noises in the middle of the night that disturbed my sleep.

The bathroom sink has no hot water tap and no plug (not help as I wanted to do some washing)

I found the staff very helpful on check-in. However don't expect anyone to help you with your bags or with taxis or recommendations for local restaurants.

The place does have the feel of a hostel (although I joked that the stainless steel doors make it feel a bit Prison-like!) with the trendy bar and rooftop. I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone as a short stay alternative to a big name hotel. Although you might rethink this if you are a) really tall, or b) looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and a quiet room on check in!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Zejja_travels
Write a ReviewReviews (3,556)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Budget was in mind when I booked the Pod Hotel. I didn't want to spend more than USD 250/night for accommodation, and my days of hostels are long gone. I travelled solo in NYC for 5 nights and stayed in a double room. Yep it's really small but I had everything I needed and with some careful storage of stuff, had enough room for my luggage and daily shopping :-)
The front office stage are relatively friendly and helpful and the cleaners do a good job of sprucing the room every day. I love a dark room to sleep in and this little cave (with windows and shutters closed) work a charm - I slept REALLY well here.
With taxes etc it works out closer to USD 270/night but the location, quality of sleep, and filling the need of a place to lay my head at night after sightseeing the day away, it was just fine.
I do not know how people share a pod, even the bigger ones - I think you'd have to be really in love(!!) or know each other REALLY well. It would be way too cramped for me with any other people sharing. The bathroom is right there and all the reviewers comments are correct about privacy etc.
Would happily stay again when in NYC if I went solo. Good location.
My room smelt a little odd - a little damp - but i didn't notice it so much when i was in there, just when i came back at the end of the day.

Room Tip: I asked to be moved to a room away from the lift. Although a double room, the one i ended up with h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Maxi69
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at Pod 39 with my sister for two nights and three days. I was drawn to the location, which is close to Grand Central, and by the minimalist rooms. Because we were staying such a short time in New York, we really didn't need a big room -- we wanted to be out in the city for most of our trip.

The service at Pod 39 was good. Front desk clerks, concierges, housekeeping staff, and restaurant staff were all helpful, pleasant, and professional. The areas outside your room are a nice place to be, and we had a lovely dinner at the Salvation Taco restaurant. The lounge's breakfast menu is a bit spare, but with lots of cafes within walking distance, you're not stuck eating bagels every morning.

Pod 39 seemed to have been conceptualized from a social standpoint, because there are great places to hang out and spend time all over the hotel. What didn't seem so well thought-out were the guest rooms themselves. The place is missing a few comforts that some travellers may expect — tissues, counter or cupboard space for bathroom items, oh, and a bathroom door. The shower, toilet and sink are partitioned from the rest of the room by a glass wall and sliding door that are only partially frosted, and do nothing to block sound or light. This is a huge nuisance, since many of the rooms are obviously built for two people. If you weren’t already chummy enough with your roommate to watch/listen to them shower and use the toilet, you will be after staying at Pod 39. Or you can spend time waiting out in the hall several times a day while you each take turns using the facilities. Better hope that neither of you needs to go to the bathroom in the night, either. Just closing that glass sliding door makes a lot of noise, and forget turning on the light. There’s no fan in the bathroom either, so shower steam will permeate most of the room.

I was disappointed with Pod 39’s lack of soundproofing. It was the first time I’ve stayed in a hotel (cheap hostels included) where the door was not supported by a tightly fitted jamb. There was a bright strip of light in the room all night, and lack of soundproofing meant we had the pleasure of hearing everything that happened on our floor all night long.

Basically, Pod 39 is a hostel trying to be a hotel. They've got a few things very right, but be aware that they cut a lot of the same corners as a hostel would. I would return if I was travelling solo, but not with someone else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street side of the hotel. You won't hear traffic at all.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abby M
Reviewed 27 April 2014

With the price of Manhattan being what they are you want to ensure you use your money for what you really want (enjoying the City) and not necessarily on your sleeping accommodations.

The Pod is a great alternative to the traditional hotel experience.

Although the rooms are TINY!!! you get a TV, phone, desk, window with a view AND depending on which one you book, you can also have a small three piece en suite.

Our room was a bunk bed, with flat screens at the bottom of the bed. There is a clever shelf attached to the wall for both beds - this comes with a plug for phone charging or laptop electricity.

Bathroom was clean. BUT because the room is intimate, you will probably want to travel with someone you're comfortable with.

There is a great rooftop patio but at night it can become annoying if you are looking for a sound sleep. Our room was by the elevator and so we kept hearing people (who were not guests of the hotel) going up to the rooftop to party.

There is a great taco restaurant at the bottom of the hotel. A little pricey for tacos but still good.

The best part of this hotel is that it is centrally located. Very close to Grand Central, so you can make it ANYWHERE in the city. It is also close to various restaurants and cafes.

Staff were not the friendliest or most helpful. Check-in took longer than needed as the rooms were not ready when we arrived.

Really great hotel if you're not looking for palatial accommodations and are more interested in visiting the City than your hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AJustMe2014
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed two nights on my own in Pod39 and it was all I needed and expected from a city center hotel: clean, calm, modern room, a good bar downstairs, and location. Two blocks away of central station, library, chrysler building... so location is awesome. I was lucky enough to get a double room I think, so though small, it didn't feel cramped. Anyway, it got all the amenities. Really enjoyed the atmosphere too, fresh young friendly faces at the desk. If you fly from Newark: there's a busstop (one of the five in Midtown) for the airport shuttle just around the corner: every 15' there's a direct 45' line, now that was really convenient.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RichardBelgium
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed in the Pod for two weeks in July 2013, while working in NYC. While the rooms are definitely on the small side, they had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The air conditioning was great, the rooms were never stuffy. There's a busy rooftop bar, with great views of the city, and residents get priority for entry.
In the room, there's a desk with power points, a spot for charging USB devices, and a 24 inch flat screen TV. There's an open wardrobe with a safe, and there's space under the bed for luggage.
The thing about the hotel is, while the rooms are small, they're very clean, and tidied properly daily. The location is superb, 5 minutes from Grand Central, and near local bus routes too.
There's also a concierge downstairs, for help with getting around.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor, as the bar can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I must say I am very surprised by this shoe-box concept hotel. Maybe I am exaggerating, but the rooms are very small, I guess you get a very good feel of what living in NYC might be.
The rooms are very small, but they accommodate your needs in the most essential ways. I stayed at a Queen room, the bed was ample and firm, made the sleeping superb. There's a tiny desk in case you need to work from the hotel, I do not recommend do it. The lounge are is perfect for doing that, tons of space, mellow ambiance, good music and just great in general.
The beds are equiped with storage space underneath, so you don't have a mess in general in the room, and let's you move easily within the tiny space.
In general, you see the room, and has a contemporary-industrial / funky decor. Lots of stainless steel, white space and geometric figures. They were very comfortable, not much noise going around (except for my next room neighbors having late night private parties and breakfast for champions, if you know what I mean).

Now, the hotel in general keeps a funky/art deco ambiance all throughout the hotel. It has a restaurant "SalvationvTaco" which has a very good vibe, good music, good food, and a small but good beer selection. The staff members, day/evening, are the nicest people. They will help yo accommodate your needs and help you out with any request you might have. They are young and hip. Unlike many other hotel staff, stuck up and snobbish. They make you feel as comfortable as possible. From the managers (Tim), to reception, to bellboys to the bartenders.

I must say I was very surprised by the candid tiny hotel. It is like having a piece of the city capsuled there. Small, eclectic, and fun. Except clean and organized.

Yes, I will definitely come back for another stay at the Pod.

Room Tip: Pick the Queen pods, they're on the top floors, but don't get anything near the 17th floor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business