“Clean, comfortable, perfect for a couple nights!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #190 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Clean, comfortable, perfect for a couple nights!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed in a BUNK POD, Tuesday, Wednesday, May 20, 21. Checked out Thurs. May 22. Room being reviewed here is only a BUNK POD.

PROS:
*#1: Clean, clean, clean, clean.

*Very good location.

*Staff so friendly, warm, welcoming (especially Mirek, who helped with in-room safe, and Brian, who helped us get to Studio 54 by subway the quickest and most efficient way possible).

*Bunk beds very, very comfortable.

*Separate TVs for bunk beds.

*Each "bed" space had own separate, little shelf for a cup of tea or for a book, separate plugs, and of course separate remotes - more than roomy enough. I was on top bunk - am 5' 2 1/2 ", and had more than enough room up on top bunk to keep a laptop and my carry-on bag up there with incidentals so I didn't have to climb up and down constantly. Plus keeping my bag up on the foot of the bed gave us more room space.

*Appearance. Very hip, funky, contemporary. I mentioned cleanliness of the room, but everything was very clean in the hallways, elevators - that makes a difference to guests. This was in no way a "dive" or dump.

*Our room was on 5th floor. We have both a pro and con about room location. The PRO - we were in an "inside" room. No view whatsoever - you'll see our room "view" photographed here - but we didn't need a view since we were outside so much and saw all we wanted to see. So the lack of view isn't a con for us. This 5th floor "inside" room was a pro because on the 5th floor, we heard no noise from the hotel's bars, no noise from the street. This was great.

CONS:

*Not enough bathroom privacy. I suppose it's different if it is a couple or family members traveling together. We traveled as a platonic male-female twosome, so bathroom privacy would have been HIGHLY desired with either solid walls/doors, or more heavily-frosted glass doors from top to bottom. I imagine that, because the room is so small, the glass wall/door was meant to make the room feel larger. But glass doors don't hide the fact that our bunk room was teeny-tiny, maybe the size of a dining room in a mid-size home, so when one is in the bathroom (with frosting only mid-door), one is only maybe 4 feet away from the person or people in the bed area. More privacy is necessary when things are this tight!! Thanks to the reviews here, we arrived prepared, by bringing packing tape, little scissors, and newspaper, and in the photo here you see our solution to the privacy issue. This was the only thing preventing us from giving this a 5-star rating instead of 4.

*Above, I mentioned the PRO of our room. Here is the CON. Our room was directly across from the elevator. I thought the elevator noise would be worse than it was. That wasn't the problem. The elevator noise wasn't bad at all. It's the people WAITING for the elevator who are not really aware that, as they're waiting in the small hallway for the elevator, they are standing only about 12 feet away (if that) from people who may still be trying to sleep. The doors do nothing to block the noise of the people right outside those doors. The hotel representatives should think about putting up a sign near the elevator buttons reminding guests to be considerate of the folks staying in the rooms right across from the elevator - or just to be considerate when in any part of the hallway.

*Can't really say "small room" as a con because first, it's NYC and most affordable rooms are small, and second, it's clear by these reviews and even by hotel's own site that the rooms are very small, so there was no surprise here. We didn't care at all about room size anyway. We were only in the room to sleep or to freshen up to prepare to get outside again,

*Not cons, but room could benefit from more shelving up wall in bathroom, making more use of vertical space. More hooks would help. Available tissues would help, but we just used the tp. Another small wall mirror near the desk would help when it's time to get ready to go somewhere.

We'd DEFINITELY stay here again. No question about it. Highly recommended. Thanks for having such a great accommodation option in the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IsabellaRocco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vail, CO
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I found the Pod hotels during an extensive quest to find something fun & hip, but somewhat affordable in Manhattan. We loved the funky, tiny room. When I say tiny, I mean tiny, but still comfortable and very well designed to maximize the small space. It still wasn't very cheap, but the best value for the quality that I was able to find. Location was great as we could easily walk to Times Square, Grand Central, etc.. The rooftop bar is absolutely wonderful and affords views of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in a queen pod, and my husband and I were both comfortable. We had a corner unit so we had...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmw930
Sykkylven
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Me and a friend of mine, decieded to take a girl's trip to this fun city. It's not easy to choose between so many hotels, which there are in NYC. So first thing's first. Location: The hotel is locateded in midtown - east. Perfect. If you're in New York for the first time, it's nice to be nearby midtown Manhattan. Why? Three reasons: This way, you will more quickly get to know the city. The distances between your hotel and the thing you want to see aren't that big ( it's easy to underestimate the size of this city and the distances in it ). And it's nice to have a hotel nearby if you want to leave your shoppingsbags and head out for another round :) The hotel is a couple of blocks from Grand Central Station. Perfect for moving around. Standard: excellent! The hotel is new, trendy, colorful, cool, nice, and cozy. Rooms: we booked a room with queensize bed, our OWN bathroom ( this hotel offers shared bathrooms as well as many, many other hotels in the city, so if you don't want to share, beware of this choice when you`re about to book a room at any hotel in NY ), well cleaned every day, ok sized bathroom, And the room layout made the room not feel so small as it was. The wall between the bedroom and bathroom was a glaswall frosted in the middle to hide certain bodyparts if you`re shy ;) The wall made the room seem much bigger. Lets make one thing straight! HOTELROOMS IN NEW YORK ARE SMALL, you can search the web as much as you want, but most of them are small. You can't escape it. That is, if you don't want to pay a foretune for a room, which you hopefully aren't planning to spend a lot of time in. If you plan to stay in your room for more than sleep, a change of clothes, or a shower, then you don't belong in NYC. So please, spend your money on something else than on an overexspensive hotel. We started in this hotel for 6 days. And we have nothing to complain about. The only thing might be that the air-condition made a bit noise when we were going to sleep. but we solved it by leaving the air condition on a bit cooler in the day, and than turned it off at night. Worked every day. Other: the hotel was connected to a restaurant / bar with a roof top department. Here you can buy breakfast in the morning, and drinks in the evening. We loved it. We never went anywhere else for breakfeast. The had delisious newly made croissants and bagels every morning. We discovered that the place was full of locals, almost every night. So new yorkers love it to evedentially. The hotel sits in a quiet street ( for new York to be ) we never had a problem during night with traffic. Just heard the ambulance a couple of times. So the conclusion: I am going back to this hotels for my next trip to this city. I loved it!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maren V
Caribbean
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I encountered the Pod hotels on the internet and loved how they make up for their small rooms by nice details such as the window panes and the rain shower in the (bath) room, the colourful and creative design of the restaurant/lounge and the s-p-e-c-t-a-c-u-l-a-r roof top bar.
My room was clean & quiet, the mattress and pillows comfortable, the bathroom spotless. Kind employees at the front desk. Good location, close to Grand Central Station and the subway. And the free guided walk the hotel offers its guests with Street Wise Tours' Andrew is superb!
I'll be back! Save yourself money and book at the Pod!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Lyngby-Taarbak Municipality, Denmark
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Nice hotel, but small rooms. Clean, comfortable and affordable. We had a nice view of Empire state building from our window, which improved the experience significantly. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have stayed at expensive New York city hotels such as the 60 Thompson, Mercer, Soho Grand etc. But my budget is tight at the moment and wanted something efficient for a quick one night stay. Whilst i was hesitant at first. I caved in and booked at the Pod. The staff was friendly on arrival, and the room was tiny, but i expected it. All i wanted was a clean room with a clean shower. I was assigned a room on the 17th floor which was great. The only hiccup was the air suction from the bathroom was too noisy. I had the same problem at the Smyth which is like that in everyone of their rooms. But at the Pod, i asked front desk if i could change to a room that did not have a shower with an air suction and they assigned me to a room on the 13th floor. It was perfect. I had a great night sleep. Did not hear any noise from adjacent rooms and i was not near elevators so i did not hear anything at all (at least not more than i would in any other hotels.). Like i said the rooms are tiny. I think even if i had travelled with my husband, we would have managed, as we travel light. Not sure how this would work with people travelling from abroad with large luggage. The internet is free and i also loved their courtyard on the 17th floor. I had it all to myself the afternoon just before my flight. The room are super clean as everything is new and the bed is comfortable. Although i would not recommend for people that are more than 6ft tall. The other plus, is that it is one block from Grand Central (less than 5 minutes walk), so i could get those airport buses to JFK. If i have any complaints (which are tiny) is that all the showers are rain showers which is not very user friendly if you want to have a quick wash before dinner without washing your hair. And the other thing, is that they charge if you want to have stuff shipped to the hotel. I think it should be free if they impose a limit of let's say 3 packages. Other than that. I have booked my July stay at the Pod again. My only regret is that i did not know about the Pod earlier.

Room Tip: Avoid 1708 as the bathroom as an air suction and since it is the highest floor it is probably closer...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LeslieCKiddada
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 15 May 2014

great hotel in manhattan and most of all... affordable.
the hotel is at a walking distance from Grand Central Station, very clean, wi-fi everywhere, with a fantastic "salvation taco" at the ground floor with food, music and nice people.
great NY view, roof bar, fabolous shower.
rooms are very small, but you don't go to Manhattan to waste time in the hotel.
the cheapest reservation is from the hotel website, and you can cancel it till the last day.
just go there