“Great hotel in a great location”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #198 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Pod 39 for 3 nights recently whilst exploring New York. The location is perfect for buzzing around the sights and visiting the vast array of neighbourhoods.

Hotel itself is very cool with a great bar/restaurant on the ground floor and a wonderful roof terrace. The rooms are small but perfectly formed and ideal for this sort of break. Bed was comfortable, room clean and well appointed.

If you're looking for a good base to see the city and also have a trendy yet comfortable stay, look no further.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neil H

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We spent 6 very restful nights at The Pod 39. The pillow top mattresses are quite comfortable. The room was very quiet with no cross noise from the hall or other rooms. The staff is quite friendly. It is located about a 5 minute walk from Grand Central Station. The only complaint I have, it is so very minor, is that the towels provided are wimpy. I don't know if folks still steal towels from hotels but nobody would want to steal these. I still give the hotel a top rating, I would stay again. We also had a late night after theatre dinner at Salvation Taco which was quite tasty.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very tasty drinks, definitely recommend the sangria with jalapeño and strawberries. Amazing views,nice young professionals crowd and atmosphere. I was surprised on the slow service on both the rooftop.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank leffertslady
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was great! It was clean(big points for CLEAN) and Our view of the Empire State Building was great. We were in room 1111 on the 11th floor. :) If you do not like small spaces, I strongly suggest that you do not stay here. It is very small, but for me, that was definitely not a problem for me. Clean, nice furniture, and a nice bathroom are what we need, and it fulfilled all of that.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank ilovepeanuts6
Tim L, Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello Ilovepeanuts6

Well thank you for your GREAT comments about us. We are glad to hear that our hotel fulfilled your needs and expectations . Thank you for taking time to share your experience about your stay with us. We hope to see you soon!

Yariee Martinez
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here for four nights in February 2014. The hotel is basic, clean and located close to Grand Central Station. There is a cool bar on the ground floor, nice staff, good beds, clean bathroom. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janne S
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this room a few months ago for my niece and me. We had a mini-bunk room, and it definitely lived up to the mini part of the equation. I didn't think the bed was very comfortable, but she thought hers was fine -- probably the difference between an 18-year-old back and my, ummm, older one. The room seemed very clean, but it had kind of a funky musty odor that never went away. It might be because there's no vent in the bathroom, so when you take a shower, everything in the room gets impregnated with moisture. The good side of that it that the glass wall around the bathroom quickly steams up, so you have privacy.

Pros: The location is great! The hotel staff is friendly. The rooms are efficient.

Cons: The atmosphere is reminiscent of a college dorm. This is fine if you don't mind cramped quarters, no privacy, and lots of noise in the hall.
It's expensive -- we paid $165 a night for a room as big as my closet at home. I know this is Manhattan in the summer, but right before we left I was getting deals from online booking agencies for four-star hotels that were the same price. I didn't switch because my niece really wanted to stay here.
It lacks basic hotel amenities, like ice machines.
The restaurant is ridiculously overpriced and the staff is not helpful. I think $13 for a run-of-the-mill margarita and $5 for a Mexican coke are excessive. And I can't imagine paying $14 for a plate of three tacos. They wouldn't let us go up to the roof because my niece wasn't 21, yet they sat us in the bar downstairs. I think we just weren't trendy enough to take up space with all the hipsters on the roof, even though it was late afternoon and there was no crowd. One more thing -- using veladoras, Mexican saint candles, for bar decor, is rather culturally insensitive.

When you're in New York you're not going to spend much time in the room, so this place works if you just want a place to sleep. Just take ear plugs. And if you skip the restaurant and eat at one of the many ethnic places in the neighborhood, you'll be fine with food. So it's not a bad place, but I don't know that I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank julias21
Tim L, Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hello Julias21,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. We really do appreciate your input. We believe this will only make us better.

Our staff takes great pride in providing a personal touch to all our guest that isn't found at other hotels. We try to make sure all our guest arrive happy and departs happy, so I am hopeful you will give another chance down the line. Please contact me directly the next time you visit and we can go over other Pod room options that best fits you.

While the restaurant is managed separately from the hotel, together we will continue to work to together to provide our guest with the same quality service they are accustomed to at the hotel. I address this issue with one our restaurant managers that they do allow children accompanied with an adult until 5PM.

Again, I hope you'll give us another chance the next time you visit New York, you can contact me directly at; tim.l@thepodhotel39.com

Timothy Lau
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Rooftop bar is great with view on Empire State building. Stuff is very friendly and helpful. Hotel is clean and new and has a great location. Empire State building is 10 minutes of walk from hotel and Time Square is 15 minutes. Wifi was working all the time in room. Everything was awesome and we recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on 12th floor and it was great. On 17th floor is rooftop bar and it´s public. In New Y...