“Perfect if you are low-maintenance, come with light luggage and plan to spend most of your time enjoying the City.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #186 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My eighteen-year-old daughter and I stayed at Pod 39 for several days in June. She had just graduated from high school and had never been to NYC. I was hoping for a memorable mother-daughter experience before she launched off to college as I had a similar trip with my mother at about the same age. After substantial Trip Advisor research I felt fairly comfortable in my expectations for Pod 39, what others' perceived to be positive and negative attributes of the hotel. I emailed the hotel several days prior to our arrival to see if checking our luggage would be an option as we would be arriving in the City around 8:00 a.m. I received a response within thirty minutes reassuring me that this would be fine. Upon our arrival the hotel staff were very welcoming and checked our luggage, allowing us to begin our exploration of NYC baggage-free. We were also told of the possibility of an early check-in and returned around 1:00 p.m. to find that our room was ready for us. Our mini-bunk pod was exactly as I expected, tightly-quartered but clean, quiet and safe. The shower was hot with good pressure. The televisions at the end of our beds allowed us each to decompress in our own quiet way after twelve to fifteen hours of urban exploration. The mattress was adequate for my middle-aged back and we both slept tightly and restoratively in our little "space capsule", rejuvenated for the next day's adventures. The neighborhood felt very safe as my daughter and I walked back well after dark each night. There was a "hipster" vibe to the hotel later in the evenings, but I (obviously not a hipster) did not feel uncomfortable and my daugher got to feel somewhat "hip", although she was too young to engage in nightime, roof-top socializing. We did get to enjoy a quiet roof-top experience early one afternoon. basically having it to ourselves, and the the view is outstanding. On our last day we did not have to leave for the airport until 6:00 p.m. Pod 39 exceeded my expectations by holding our luggage several hours after our check-out time, enabling us to enjoy the City up until our last moment. Please tip these people for this wonderful service! In summary, Pod 39 is perfect if you are low maintenance, come with light luggage and plan to spend most of your time enjoying the City. I suggest a "City Pass" which allows reduced-fee entry into six attractions without having to wait in line. Scotty's is a small diner on the corner which offers a good, reasonably-priced American breakfast. There is a Starbuck's one block down from Scotty's. Walk two more blocks and you are at Grand Central Station. Hop, skip and a jump!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank DeLois H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was quite small and we didn't really like the fact that the bathroom was separated with a glass door that didn't really give you much privacy. But we did have a view of the Empire State Building from the bathroom window ;). The hotel also has a roof terrace with a view of the Empire and a Michelin-star chef's restaurant downstairs. Located a few blocks from the best subway station Grand Central and the Chrysler building, it is a great choice for young couples especially. Would go again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank MrVille
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pod 39 for 6 nights. When we first walked in we were a bit stunned at how small it really was; however we managed to make it work and despite the place being small, it was comfortable, clean and in a great location.

Rooftop bar is great for afternoon drinks, looking out over the city and there are numerous bars close by.

Central station is about a 5min walk away and there is a great bagel place too - Zuckers.

We walked to times square/rockafeller a couple of times and it was not that far.

I would recommend this place for people who are looking for affordable accommodation which is clean and convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Belinda W
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you're on a budget and you are not claustrophobic, then the price point and location of this hotel will suit you just fine. It is clean and hip. The hotel staff is very friendly, and when I arrived on a late Saturday night, there was definitely a fun vibe throughout the hotel. It also has a pretty cool roof top bar. I booked my room on the same night (06/22/2013) and was able to get it for under $200. The staff was very courteous and friendly. If you are sharing a room, be sure you are OK with violating the “personal space” rule with the person you are sharing the room with during your stay. The quarters are really tight. This hotel is definitely ideal if you are traveling NYC alone, or if you prefer closer quarters.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elvin M
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend (now fiancée since the trip!) had stayed here at Christmas, &said it'd suit our needs for a 5 night stay(a good location; clean, basic room; no payment for frills; &a decent price!), & it certainly did.Got off at Grand central & only 5-10min walk to pod,very helpful staff, cool bar areas on ground AND rooftop (unfortunately under-utilised by us given the places we wanted to visit). The room was cleaned&towel changes daily (which surprised me given the "upmarket hostel" image they are said to be),&tho compact was perfectly adequate for those just wanting a place to lay the head at night. On the toilets-yes, the sliding frosted glass door between the bedroom&bathroom DOES only lend itself to those who are already close (if you feel self-conscious even breaking wind in front of your partner,you may find this set-up a little...exposing!) In short- good price,location,service,everything you want in a non-luxury Manhattan break.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GarySeven
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 5 nights. The room we had was a queen pod.
We wanted somewhere central so that the city was right on our door step and being 2 or 3 blocks from Grand Central Station this was perfect.
The room was definitely as described small and compact but it had everything you needed. It was also very clean, fresh and modern. The staff on reception were all friendly and helpful when needed.
There was a restaurant on the ground floor and a roof terrace bar. We didn’t use the restaurant but it was always very busy and looked great.
We did use the roof top bar on a couple of occasions and although it’s absolutely beautiful and you get stunning views the staff REALLY let the atmosphere down!

On the first occasion my husband stood for nearly 30mins at the bar without being serviced until he eventually had to ask if anyone would serve him, on the second occasion we were lucky if we got more than a grunt from the bar tender. It all felt really rude and very portentous. It seemed to be a trendy hot stop for the local office work force and they’d rather serve them than there paying hotel guests. It was a real shame and made us feel really uncomfortable. I recommend going up getting some photos when it’s quiet during the day but not much else.

Overall the Pod as a hotel is great but it’s a shame the bar staff on the roof top really let the side down.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lifts, we did and it was a lot quieter.