“Very good experience”

Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side
Ranked #221 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I actually left a few things behind and Tomas was very helpful to send them back to me ASAP. Next to subway, 3 lines make a stop there. The pictures represent reality! I am definitely recommending to friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank spirt0oulis
DianaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Hello spirt0oulis,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for your kind words. We are so delighted to hear that Thomas was able to recover your lost items and get them sent to your home. Thank you for your recommendations, we certainly look forward to your future stays with us! Happy and Safe Travels!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

First, I'll start by saying the location and room were fine. The bed was very comfortable, the decor of the room was sleek, and the bathroom was spacious. Here's how it went down:

On the day of our arrival, we got off a cruise ship early in the morning and took a cab to the hotel. Since we were early, and our room wasn't ready, we dropped off our luggage and left to romp around the city. We were gone all day, finally coming back at nearly 10pm. Since we were totally exhausted, and because we had to get up at 5 a.m. to catch a 655 a.m. train from Penn Station, we decided to go straight to bed. At about 11:30, two guys in the room adjacent to ours arrived and started jabbering back and forth, spewing, "M.F. this" and "M.F. that." We could hear their entire filthy conversation. They went on and on, yelling at the top of their lungs about everything from business to drugs. The walls at this place must be paper thin. I tried to ignore them, I even turned on the TV to drown them out, but, no go. At one point, I heard one of them use his cell phone to call someone to try to buy drugs. I heard every word the person on the OTHER line was saying. After a while, they left for about 20 minutes, but then came back and started all over again. I guess they left to meet the person to buy drugs.

Finally, at almost 3 a.m., I had had enough. I got up, got dressed, and went down to the lobby. When I told the man at the front desk what was going on, he said, "you have to understand: we can't control the actions of our guests." What? Really? What a load of BS. I told him that I understand that the hotel can't control the actions of its guests, but it can certainly do something about it when a guest gets out of line. I'm sure that if I had said that they were destroying to room, it would have lit a fire under him. I finally had to tell him to call their room and tell them to shut up. He said he would, and when I got back in my room, I heard their phone ring and I could hear the guy from the desk APOLOGIZING for distrubing THEM! What?

After the phone call, they eventually shut up. Mad as hell, I laid there, fuming that I was spending $200 for what was essentially nothing. I guess I fell asleep about 345, so I got about an hour and a half of sleep.

We were in room 202, they were in 204.

Having an attractive hotel, in a good area, means nothing if it doesn't deliver on its promise to provide a safe and relaxing environment. Sure, I could have got up and knocked on their door, but why should I have to do that? And if people reading this are wondering why I didn't call down to the front desk to complain, it's because they would have heard every word I would have said, and I really didn't feel like taking part in any sort of confrontation with guys who have been trying to buy drugs.

Never again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Linerguy

Hello Linerguy,

Greetings from the Holiday Inn Lower East Side! We welcome your review and apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact us directly if you wish to discuss this event further. We hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you in the near future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I left behind some expensive stuff and Tomas from housekeeping sorted me out so I sm very very thankful for his great service!

Also the rest of the housekeeping staff were fantastic as we werent exactky an easy croud.

Great area to explore in Manhattan and ckose to the subway

• Stayed: October 2013
DianaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Greetings Cobus V,

Thank you for your generous feedback and for your recognition. I will ensure to pass your lovely words to Tomas, our terrific Executive Housekeeper. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Lower East Side and certainly look forward to your next stay with us! Happy and safe travels.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

For once a hotel that actually was exactly like the pictures they posted......spotlessly clean, great value for money and amazingly friendly staff.....

We stayed here for 6 nights from the 28th of Oct to the 2nd of Nov,our first time to New York.This hotel was a great base to explore the touristy stuff in New York. We discovered the Lower Eastside area in the latter part on our stay and wished we'd found it early.

Only minor point is that we wished our room had a small fridge, but this was a very minor point. Plan to stay here again on our next trip the NY. Overall this hotel was perfect for our needs. **Friendly Staff in NY **....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jmc942

Hello jmc942,

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with us! Our Holiday Inn Lower East Side family takes pride on the service we offer to our guests. We ensure that each of our guests are treated as a member of our family and that they feel free to ask assistance whenever needed. Refrigerators are not placed in each guest room, however we do have some set aside for guest requests. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to your next stay with us. Happy and safe travels!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I'll preface this review by saying that finding a hotel -- any hotel -- that is not luxury class and expensive in this entire section of Manhattan is difficult.

The hotel inside appears to be freshly upgraded/remodeled. It is very nicely done. Our room was small but not cramped, typical of a NYC hotel standard accommodation. The bed was comfortable, the desk area functional, the lighting excellent, and the air handling quite good. The bath was small but functional. We did not use any of the amenities, and based on the listing, they seem minimal. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean, and it is secure.

OK, location: you are not really conveniently located for much of anything, other than you are in Manhattan, East of Chinatown, South of the East Village, and North of the Lower East Side. It is a neighborhood that is in transition -- busy, gritty, nothing special. Access to the rest of NYC is simple, by bus or by Subway. Taxis apparently don't like getting too close to the Williamsburg Bridge traffic, and none of a half dozen trips brought us any closer than two blocks from the "front" door, which is NOT on Delancey Street, but to the side (Suffolk St.).

The Subway is located two blocks to the West (Delancey and Essex), and buses directly to the more lively East Village area can be gotten at Allen Street. You can, of course, walk, and the areas to the West and North are reasonably decent neighborhoods. Basically the hotel location is a fast food and convenience store mecca.

The ONE THING really not great about this hotel is NOISE. OK, street noise in a hotel on Manhattan is a given. This is NYC. But the soundproofing to the hallway, and to adjacent rooms, is what you would expect in a budget motel in Meridian, Mississippi. And, suffice it to say, locals and visitors to NYC are not known for being quiet or sedate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Eric S,

Greetings from the Holiday Inn Lower East Side family! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and for pointing out our terrific staff and comfortable rooms. However, it is saddening to hear that you found our location to be just "OK". The Lower East Side is a wonderful neighborhood with tons of places to explore and so many great restaurants to try. We invite you to stay with us again on your next trip to the Big Apple, and we will ensure your stay is flawless. Until next time!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great staff and rooms. Neighbourhood is amazing, though Delancey still has some of the quickly vanishing grit of the Lower East Side. You're within blocks of Katz's deli, lots of great bars, Greenwich Village. Bring good walking shoes. Full points to the friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms facing the street can be noisy, but this is New York not a cruise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Gregory T,

Greetings from the Big Apple! Thank you for your amazing review, it is so wonderful to hear that your recent stay with us met and exceeded your expectations. The Lower East Side is a magnificent neighborhood and we are so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you Gregory for pointing out our wonderful staff members, it is truly our passion to provide the best customer service possible. We welcome you back with open arms and look forward to your future visits to the Big Apple! Happy and Safe Travels.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The staff at check in desk and throughout the hotel were very friendly. It was pouring rain one morning, we were offered umbrellas on our way out.
The room was clean.
Location was perfect for trying new restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra A
DianaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Hello sma923,

Thank your for your short but sweet review! Ensuring that we provide the best customer service possible is our goal, and we are so pleased to have met and exceeded your expectations. We are always seeking ways to further accommodate our guests and offering an umbrella on a rainy day is one of them. We look forward to your future adventures in the city that never sleeps. Until next time!