“Outstanding Hotel”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at The Refinery Hotel to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. The Manager, Alfie and Staff were outstanding in their friendliness and helpfulness, they couldn't do enough to make our stay memborable. The breakfast at the Parker & Quinns was delicious to say the least and the waiting staff catered to our every needs! We must not forget the Porters; they were most accommodating and friendly. Our room was beautiful - the shower was most inviting and the bed very comfortable. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to our family and friends and will certainly return on another occasion. Location was an excellent location for sight-seeing

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thanks for your review, Dianne P.! We were so happy to be part of your wedding anniversary celebration and are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,321)

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Me and my four friends on vacation from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, stayed at the Refinery Hotel from Monday, June 3rd until Friday, June 7th. From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out, we were courteously waited on by the entire hotel staff. Everyday there was somebody waiting to open the doors for us (the doors, I must add, are made of glass and kept so clean that I actually smashed my face into one leaving the hotel for the final time. It was my own fault though: I was distracted with my luggage. Always stay alert!). Upon our arrival and perhaps everyday of our stay, there was somebody offering free wine in the lobby (which I would have gladly accepted each and everytime, had I been of age) and somebody was always standing by to speak to in the lobby if the need were to arise, which for us it never did. Our rooms were cleaned everyday so that when we returned from the events of the day, it looked as if we'd only just arrived.

My only regret was not trying the food at the hotel, but we were just too busy to do so!

I would like to mention one staff member who stood out from the rest for me: her name is Nofar. Whenever she saw me, she always came to speak to me and impart some very interesting piece of information to me. For example, on June 6th, she informed me that the date was 666 (sixth month, sixth day, and the sum of the numbers in the year totalled six); a fact that I, personally, found very amusing. The day we arrived, I mentioned to her that my 21st birthday was on July 5th, and a few days later, as we were leaving the hotel one evening to go do stuff, she informed me that my birthday was in a month and a few days, which told me that she remembered the small piece of information about myself that I imparted to her. I was so moved by her that I asked to get a picture with her the day we left, which she gladly accepted.

In conclusion, if you want to stay in a beautiful hotel with excellent service, stay at the Refinery!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post, EhJayMcCulloch, it means a lot to us. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Nofar. We look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was the very FIRST GUEST to check into this Brand New Hotel! I was greeted by the General Manager and the Director of Sales upon my arrival. It was such a huge honor for me to be the first guest to enter this brand new gem of a hotel! Hundreds of Thousands of people will enter this hotel in the years to come and I can GUARANTEE that you will LOVE IT! This is a small luxury boutique hotel so you have the feel of being home and not just a number which is so nice in such a busy city. Being from Malibu I am used to beauty and serenity and I can say that this hotel hit the nail on the head! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the bathrooms are very cute and they use great linens which is nice when you are away from home! I loved the lobby. Who is your designer? They did a GREAT job with all of the litle details I was highly impressed!

The restaurant staff were amazing the food was so good! In the next month or so they are opening their rooftop which has a full bar and a glass ceiling that is retractable so you can use the space year round! This is a genius idea seeing how in NY one day is really nice and the next day can be rainy. I give this hotel 5 stars! The staff is so amazingly nice and eager to want to help and go the extra mile for you. I loved the entire front desk team! Trust me when your feet are killing you after walking around this city every bit of extra help goes a long way! I would personally like to thank both the GM and The Director of Sales for such a lovely stay and I cannot wait to be your guest again in the near future!

Cheers from Malibu!

Room Tip: Ask fior a room with the larger bathroom mine was so spacious!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank chad_11

Thank you, chad_11—so proud that you would call us a home away from home! Thanks also for noticing all of our little details—we, too, are excited for the rooftop and can’t wait for its opening later this month. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We just completed a two night stay at the Refinery. It was outstanding!!! The staff was solicitious to our every need from the moment we were greeted in the lobby for check in. The food at Parker and Quinns was outstanding both nights and the service was terrific. The room was very clean and well appointed. Beds were very comfortable.

I would highly recommend this hotel . And with the additions being planned for the Rooftop Bar and Lounge it will only get better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting, jpd63. We are so glad you enjoyed the rooms and Parker & Quinn—we look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2013

In the spirit of the Garment district, 'one day you're in and next day you're out' halp applies.... with all the great reviews, it's more like: 'and next day you're still in!.
All the staff are incredibly welcoming - and that's each and every time you re-enter the hotel. As I prefer my room to be as noise free as possible at night, staff quickly allowed me to shift to a different room in the hotel, where the room was blissfully silent. The decor is minimalistsic, but still extremely comfortable with just the right eclectic blend of old and new : heritage style bathroom with detailed monogram tiled in to the marble floor but good lighting/shower. The location is excellent - re-furbed Macy's nearby, large department store a few mins away on 38th Street, subway to quickly get you to interesting areas up and down town, lots of salad bars and lush, green Bryant Park is a 5 min walk down the street, Culture Espresso ( try any of the cakes/biscuits) just across the road.......hard to leave.

Room Tip: Lose a rooms with a street view to get a quieter room in the centre corridors of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Your kind words are much appreciated, Tedds16! We’re so happy you enjoyed the room and noted our special décor. We cannot wait to welcome you back to Refinery Hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I enjoyed staying at this Hotel. they were very friendly and the staff made sure that all my needs were satisfied. Its a Great location and I am sure you will enjoy it also. The room was very clean and I highly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you for your review, Michael Anthony D--and thank you for recognizing our housekeeping staff's fantastic work. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Where to START! This place in Excellent! My wife and I had come to New York to attend Surtex, a show for Artist to Exhibit art for potential licensing. Well, the first day we had to rush by and asked if the hotel could watch our baggage until check in time. That time would be three hours away. Yes, that was the answer. Next, the BIG SURPRISE!! When we came back the Management and Staff greeted with an upgrade!!!! We went from a nice room to a spacious Executive Suite for our entire stay!!! Wow! Incredible!! I know, lots of capitals and exclamations, but this is way cool . . . The executive suite is twice as large and plenty of space. One really cool thing through the whole stay is wine between 6 to 8 pm nightly. What can I say about the staff. Every kind word and super genuine in their delight to be helpful. We really began to not want to leave the Refinery Boutique Hotel as the final day of departure approached. To summize, excellent staff, plus wonderful suite made for a stay that will remain with my wife and I forever!!! We will return as soon as possible. This will be our stay of choice. The owners know how to make a great hotel. Plus, the rooftop deck, which is not open at this time, will be a hit!!! Have a great stay at the Refinery!!!

Room Tip: For total comfort as though you actually live in New York, the Executive Suite!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay, William-and-Keiko, and that we could be a part of a memorable trip—looking forward to your next visit!