“Brand new hotel, overall great with a few tips”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #25 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fort Lauderdale
“Brand new hotel, overall great with a few tips”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This new, trendy hotel in New York's garment district has a historic feel and look with all the modern updates you could envision. This former hat factory incorporates some of the hat making tools at the front desk, displayed in an artistic fashion.

The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. From the front desk, to the bellman, to the wait staff, we experienced an 'at your service' mentality. They were eager to help and tried to accommodate where possible. While the restaurant, Parker & Quinn was not open yet (we were there for the “soft opening”), we had a lovely, free continental breakfast of coffees, teas, juices, fruits, croissants, yoghurt and other pastries. Opening soon, also, is a rooftop bar which will serve artisinal beverages, a lobby bar, "Winnies", and a fitness center.

A few tweaks are needed. After you hit your shin for the third time on the corner of the bed frame you get more than a little irritated. A motion detector in a corner of the ceiling turns on with every movement, even in a darkened room. A bath robe hung on a hook at the entrance to the bathroom prevents the occupant from completely closing the door. The entry doors to the room are so heavy and well made that if you have any physical limitations, or are in a wheelchair, you will have difficulty getting into your own room. If they aren't already doing it, we would recommend that staff and management "live" in the rooms a day or two to see for themselves rather than waiting for guests to complain.... or worse, say nothing except to their friends. I know this sounds negative but only reflects a few pointers and overall we did very much like this hotel.

We can envision this hotel becoming a favorite location for not only out of town guests but for locals who want to enjoy the city after work. The $219. price point makes is an exceptional value, but it looks like that is as temporary as the soft opening phase of this historic hotel site.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sugale
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for your post, sugale —we will definitely take your comments into account as we continue to make improvements; your suggestions are incredibly helpful. Please know your recommendation to friends and family means a lot to us and we look forward to having you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Plainview, NY
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

From the moment we walked in the entire staff from the doorman to the front desk couldn't be nicer. The room was huge for a NYC room we had a corner room with 5 windows, I don't know too many hotels with 5 windows especially in the city. Loved the floors, bedding, decor and bathrooms. Wish the roof top bar was open. Great location 2 blocks to Bryant park. Only bad thing was the fire alarm went off 6 times in 1 hour at 6 am, but I know they are working out the kinks since its a soft opening, I will definitely come back and recommend this place to everyone

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank shahow
Your review is much appreciated, shahow! The fire alarms were incredibly unfortunate, but we thank you very much for understanding—we greatly look forward to welcoming you back…without the alarms and WITH the rooftop!
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I just spent two days at the Refinery Hotel. Wonderful service and staff. Great coffee first thing in the morning. Great location just a few blocks away from Times Square. Remarkably quiet. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you, BurnsLakeBlogger—we greatly appreciate your post!
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Although i was a bit hesitant to book this newly opened hotel, i decides to take a risk. Refinary hotel is truly a refined luxuray. My room was spacious , clean, and well equiped. The service is a top notch for nyc from the housekeeping to the managers, especially tarek, the guy in the front desk who made sure we were taken care of from the day we arrived my son and i until we checked out, he was extremely helpful and friendly. Also i loved the restaurant he recommended to me for my son's birthday. I highly recommand this hotel and will not resist to book again.

• Stayed May 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
We look forward to your return trip—thank you for your kind words, Marianandsam!”
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at The Refinery Hotel to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. The Manager, Alfie and Staff were outstanding in their friendliness and helpfulness, they couldn't do enough to make our stay memborable. The breakfast at the Parker & Quinns was delicious to say the least and the waiting staff catered to our every needs! We must not forget the Porters; they were most accommodating and friendly. Our room was beautiful - the shower was most inviting and the bed very comfortable. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to our family and friends and will certainly return on another occasion. Location was an excellent location for sight-seeing

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review, Dianne P.! We were so happy to be part of your wedding anniversary celebration and are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit!
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Me and my four friends on vacation from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, stayed at the Refinery Hotel from Monday, June 3rd until Friday, June 7th. From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out, we were courteously waited on by the entire hotel staff. Everyday there was somebody waiting to open the doors for us (the doors, I must add, are made of glass and kept so clean that I actually smashed my face into one leaving the hotel for the final time. It was my own fault though: I was distracted with my luggage. Always stay alert!). Upon our arrival and perhaps everyday of our stay, there was somebody offering free wine in the lobby (which I would have gladly accepted each and everytime, had I been of age) and somebody was always standing by to speak to in the lobby if the need were to arise, which for us it never did. Our rooms were cleaned everyday so that when we returned from the events of the day, it looked as if we'd only just arrived.

My only regret was not trying the food at the hotel, but we were just too busy to do so!

I would like to mention one staff member who stood out from the rest for me: her name is Nofar. Whenever she saw me, she always came to speak to me and impart some very interesting piece of information to me. For example, on June 6th, she informed me that the date was 666 (sixth month, sixth day, and the sum of the numbers in the year totalled six); a fact that I, personally, found very amusing. The day we arrived, I mentioned to her that my 21st birthday was on July 5th, and a few days later, as we were leaving the hotel one evening to go do stuff, she informed me that my birthday was in a month and a few days, which told me that she remembered the small piece of information about myself that I imparted to her. I was so moved by her that I asked to get a picture with her the day we left, which she gladly accepted.

In conclusion, if you want to stay in a beautiful hotel with excellent service, stay at the Refinery!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful post, EhJayMcCulloch, it means a lot to us. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Nofar. We look forward to having you back soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was the very FIRST GUEST to check into this Brand New Hotel! I was greeted by the General Manager and the Director of Sales upon my arrival. It was such a huge honor for me to be the first guest to enter this brand new gem of a hotel! Hundreds of Thousands of people will enter this hotel in the years to come and I can GUARANTEE that you will LOVE IT! This is a small luxury boutique hotel so you have the feel of being home and not just a number which is so nice in such a busy city. Being from Malibu I am used to beauty and serenity and I can say that this hotel hit the nail on the head! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the bathrooms are very cute and they use great linens which is nice when you are away from home! I loved the lobby. Who is your designer? They did a GREAT job with all of the litle details I was highly impressed!

The restaurant staff were amazing the food was so good! In the next month or so they are opening their rooftop which has a full bar and a glass ceiling that is retractable so you can use the space year round! This is a genius idea seeing how in NY one day is really nice and the next day can be rainy. I give this hotel 5 stars! The staff is so amazingly nice and eager to want to help and go the extra mile for you. I loved the entire front desk team! Trust me when your feet are killing you after walking around this city every bit of extra help goes a long way! I would personally like to thank both the GM and The Director of Sales for such a lovely stay and I cannot wait to be your guest again in the near future!

Cheers from Malibu!

Room Tip: Ask fior a room with the larger bathroom mine was so spacious!