Refinery Hotel
Royalton Park Avenue(New York City)
US$364
US$265
Official Site
  • Pool
US$282
US$235
Good 3.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
Grand Hyatt New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$267
US$231
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$335
US$274
  • Pool
US$232
US$171
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Hyatt Centric Times Square New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$375
Hyatt.com
US$449
US$391
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$207
  • Bar/Lounge
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$297
US$247
  • Bar/Lounge
Warwick New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$215
Travelocity
4,444 results
All reviewsrooftop barparker quinnbryant parkhat factorythe empire state buildingcupcakesnew yorkmagnolia bakerygreat hotellive jazzhardwood floorsfashion districtboutique hotelhotel gueststimes squaregreat boutiquecomfortable beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2013

If you want to feel like you have your own sleek pied-a-terre in NYC, this is the place for you! Refinery Hotel seems much more like your sophisticated city apartment than a hotel room. The loft-like rooms are large by NY standards, and the very high ceilings enhance that voluminous ambience. The stylish industrial vibe is demonstrated in the interesting mix of wood, metal, and leather furniture, along with dark wood floors. Elegant bathrooms, with hand-crafted luxury fittings by the venerable English firm Lefroy Brooks, are impressive. The wall-hung toilet, refined black-marble-topped sink console, and marble mosaic tile floor fill the bathroom with character as well as functionality.

Unlike many hotels (at any price), the walls seem to be quite thick; we never heard sound from other rooms or out in the corridor. Even though you're right in the heart of NYC, outside noise was fairly minimal.

The staff is young and very eager to please (perhaps a little TOO eager sometimes), but I attributed that to the fact that they JUST opened. Yes, there were a few service glitches, such as housekeepers that were not consistent in the level that they cleaned the room, but I expect that will get corrected when they work out all the opening kinks. You might expect a hip hotel like this to have staff with a snobby attitude, but it is quite the opposite here, with an abundance, sometimes overabundance, of sociability and friendliness. I stayed here with my family for 7 nights, so I think we probably met every staff member during that time.

The midtown location is quite central, with Bryant Park, Times Square, and the Garment District in close proximity, plus a view of the nearby Empire State Building. The closest subway stop is just two blocks away, as is the stunningly beautiful New York Public Library. Across the street is an excellent coffee place called Culture Espresso, not to be missed by real coffee aficionados. On the corner is a very handy market/deli, and on another corner is an outpost of Pret A Manger, the British sandwich shop chain, all very handy.

Hopefully, in the future, the hotel will offer more pillow options. We found the down pillows to be completely unsupportive, so soft that your head completely sinks through to the bottom, and, when we requested firmer pillows, all they had to offer was a similarly-soft down alternative foam pillow. Otherwise, sheets and towels were Frette; no complaints there.

Returning to this hotel after a long day, it is quite nice to find in the elevator lobby a staff member offering complimentary wine, which is done daily.

We dined our first night at Parker & Quinn, the hotel's restaurant and bar, which certainly doesn't feel like a "hotel restaurant" at all. In keeping with the hotel's character, this restaurant is smart, sophisticated, well designed, and cozy, with utterly delicious food that was somewhat simple, but by no means plain or boring. I'm still thinking about the deeply satisfying Tomato Bacon Bisque and hoping that the chef will share his recipe with me!

The next time I want to fantasize about having my own NY apartment, I'll surely return to Refinery Hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are especially light-filled and bright.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank born2travel555
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your fantastic post, born2travel555. You give a great room tip and we appreciate your helpful comments on our location, various amenities, and staff! We will take your experience with our pillows into account as we continue to evaluate and improve. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I am too ancient to travel alone these days so I traveled with daughter and niece to visit NYC for the purpose of buying a Fascinator hat at The American Craft show in Lincoln Center along with enjoying two musicals. Much to our delight my daughter picked this soon to be fabulously famous hotel for us. Starting with Hannah on the lobby desk to Bascha who helped with our getting settled we knew we were at home. We loved our humongous room and all of the trendy appointments along with the designer furniture and floors. We didn't want to leave and now we can't wait to return. The new roof top bar will probably open in July and if I can kickstart my pace maker we'll be bob bob bobbing back to this great hotel with its attentive staff, fine bar and restaurant. Rona in Sarasota

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor overlooking the street and were very pleased to see the sidewalks of New York.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank carocris

Thank you so much for posting, carocris! Your attention to detail and compliments mean so much to us. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

This little gem is freshly opened and is already a winner. The rooftop lounge should be open by July and all will be complete. A great design and everything has been well thought out. Modern but done with a vintage early 20th century feel. Champagne happy hour and coffee Danish in the mornings. Even the pens are winners. Full service restaurant on the premises completed the package. Service was peccable and this will be my new place of residence while in the city. Reasonably priced as well.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Gary R
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for your review Gary R. We love our pens too and are so happy to be your home away from home!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

The Refinery Hotel signifies the next generation of hoteling; luxurious, comfortable and packaged in the modern aesthetic that thumbs its nose at classical pomp. Raw meets refined with attention to the things that you want when you are still youthful and energetic. The bed is comfortable, the towels are top-notch. The tall ceilings and open space: un-New York. Location is what you need for a weekend in the city. The experience wasn't perfect but I felt the staff working pretty damn hard to make it a good experience. I think that beats almost any other hotel including the St's and Ritz's and W's of the city any day. I will be back but won't make the mistake of staying only three days when I come again.

Room Tip: Spend the money for a nice room, ask for a view and don't miss the wine receptions or the stellar advise on the sights from the staff.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rusty A

Thank you for your fantastic description Rusty A…we can’t wait to have you back!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This hotel was simply wonderful. I consider myself fairly well travelled, and without a doubt this is the best hotel I've stayed at. The hotel itself is beautiful. The furnishings impeccable. The bedding luxurious. We stayed in the Deluxe Double Queen and it is the largest hotel room I've ever had in NYC (I've visited NYC 6 times, staying at different hotels). But what really compelled me to write a review was the unbelievable service we experienced at this hotel. EVERYONE was amazingly friendly, attentive and seemed to really enjoy their jobs.

On one of the days of our stay it was pouring rain. We called down to see if we could borrow an umbrella. They said come on down and pick one up. After dallying in our room for much too long, we made our way down and of course, all the umbrellas had already been lent out. The lady at the reception desk gave us her OWN umbrella to use for the day. We insisted that we could buy our own and that we didn't know what time we would be returning. She wouldn't hear of it... As we were leaving the hotel, one of the managers literally chased after us with another of her OWN umbrellas - apologizing that they had none left when she knew we had called down to inquire earlier, again insisting we take their umbrellas to use for the day. After a full day of shopping, soaked to the bone, arms weighted down with purchases, including a much sought after dress from Saks - we returned to our beloved hotel like wet dogs. THe hotel staff all rushed to help us with our packages and grabbed warm dry towels for us to dry off with. One particularly attentive bellman noticed that my paper Saks bag was not only soaked but so much so that it had ripped open and was actually empty!!! Thank God he noticed -- we literally dropped everything as they insisted on helping us find my dress! Thankfully the dress was not even a block away, lying safely in its garment bag on the wet, dirty sidewalks of Manhattan. There aren't enough superlatives to describe this hotel... I sincerely hope they do amazingly well! (Just hopefully not so well that I can't afford it or get a room next time around ;) Thanks Refinery Hotel, you made a wonderful NYC trip absolutely unforgettable!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tievolime

We are so happy you consider us the best, Tievolime. Thank you for your review—we can’t wait to have you back again for another memorable stay!