“Not 100%”

Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Waltham, MA
“Not 100%”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

After reading all the glowing reviews, I booked at the Refinery because it was close to a business meeting. Even with the "new hotel" discount, the room was quite pricey, so my expecations were very high. The hotel succeeds in providing a comfortable bed, a modern and trendy vibe, and excellent customer service. It did fall short of my overall expectations, though, due to the lack of diligent housecleaning (there was visible dust and debris on my floor) and noticeable hallway noise from slamming doors and heels on the hardwoods. The studio king room was smaller than I expected, and didn't have a seating area like the picture on the website. Also, after a long day of travel, I was looking forward to a glass of wine from the mini-bar, but in it, there were no spirits to be found...just soda. Not sure why...it was on the price list, so I presumed it should be there. I called downstairs and asked if the bar could bring a glass of wine, and they obliged, but brought me a full bottle of unopened wine and charged me $50 for it. I was too tired to protest, and just signed the slip. They should have had no problem providing just a glass, which was all I wanted. I would recommend the hotel for its location, but the price should ought to reflect the fact that they still need to work out some kinks.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank iwanttogetaway
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your review, iwanttogetaway. We are so sorry you were disappointed in our Studio King room and want to assure you that we are currently updating our website to be clearer about our room types. While we are so happy that you enjoyed our bed, we apologize for the continued noise level and look forward to welcoming you back when construction is fully subsided.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The hotel deserves all the glowing reviews. A friendly, helpful (and fetching) staff; clean, new rooms; a fantastic restaurant; free, fast wifi; apples and bottled water in the gym; etc., etc. No complaints. Well done.

About that restaurant, Parker & Quinn: its like The Breslin, with better food and better prices. Not one dish missed the mark. An octopus starter was smoky and fork-cut tender; Arctic char was perfectly cooked, as was an immensely flavorful pork chop. Good sides, drinks, dessert, and atmosphere; fair prices, too. All impressive, especially for a just-opened spot. (The place should, and no doubt will, tune up its course pacing, which was a bit rushed.) If you stay at the Refinery, don't miss a meal at Parker & Quinn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler1983_13
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for the rave review, Traveler1983_13! Your summary says it all and we are so proud to have assisted you during your stay.
New York
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

I came across this hotel on Groupon, and it looked like a cool little spot, so I thought I'd check it out. Had a 1 night stay at the Refinery for my boyfriend's birthday and it was fantastic! I had called the hotel ahead of time to notify them of our celebration and they had a bottle of wine and a cake from Crumbs waiting in the room for us.

The room itself was pretty spectacular. A mix of contemporary touches with an industrial loft feel. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets/towels of very nice quality. The staff could not have been nicer - from the doormen to the hotel's general manager. Other NYC hotels can learn a thing or two about service from the Refinery.

I look forward to staying here again, though I doubt it will stay a "hidden" gem for long.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sbe907
Thank you for posting, sbe907--we are so glad you found us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

tl;dr - Front of house staff are awesome, restaurant is amazing. House keeping lets it down as does noise from other rooms and outside.

We found this hotel as a bit of a gem at first. It's in a great location. Awesome for shopping and you're only a couple of blocks from Time Square. Taxis still don't know where it is though, so make sure you remember the 38th and 6th to tell the Taxi driver.

I feel bad hitting the Average button with so many good reviews so... here's some great bits to follow up from the location: You get an amazingly large room. Like really large. That's awesome. The Wifi is free and fast. The decor of the rooms and the hallways are amazing too - we loved it. We also loved the signs and humor on them. We also loved the card in our room from the staff congratulating us on our anniversary. The front of house staff are great. The door man, reception and restaurant staff are top notch.

The bad: Each day, we had to chase to get our room made up. The second day it was almost 7pm before we finally got our room done after chasing constantly. Even though we had a 'make up our room' sign on the door. The room above us, on our final night was exceptionally noisy. The disadvantage of wooden floors on concrete - the sound proofing becomes appalling if people run around with their shoes on. Which in our case... happened. Construction work during the day meant hammering too - so don't expect to lie in bed all day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing 38th Street. Otherwise the noise can get silly during the week.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leepa00
Thank you for your post, leepa00. We are so happy that you found our front desk staff and restaurant amazing and are so sorry to hear about the noise and delayed housekeeping. Your comments are very helpful as we continue to resolve construction complications and we hope to welcome you back soon!
san an
Reviewed 14 June 2013

this is my favorite hotel I have stayed at in New York City. I was referred by a girl friend and she wasn't lying when she said the same thing. It's the hands down best, everywhere else will not be as friendly, clean, and wonderful as The Refinery.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank louisa k
Thank you, louisa k--we are so happy to have become your favorite and can't wait to have you and your friends back!
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife an I are frequent travelers and have stayed in many of NYC's great hotels, and this new hotel is a great marriage of contemporary chic and industrial era grandeur with all the features, quite elegant feel and room size as some Uptown poshtels at twice the rate. The hotel staff is friendly, professional and at your service with nothing less than half a dozen in the lobby waiting on your every need at any time. From a private car down to the West Village for dinner to making special arrangements forums, they were everything we could expect and then some. While they are just opening up, visitors will have to be patient as things get up to speed, but I wouldn't wait if your interested in this hotel, because the next time you'll be wait listed. This place is going to takeoff and be one of the places to stay in Midtown. We'll back soon, and looking forward to having an after dinner drink on the rooftop looking up at the lighted Empire State Building.
R&R - Potomac, MD

Room Tip: Just check in!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank R S
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you, R S. We love your description and are so happy to have exceeded expectations—can’t wait to have you back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 June 2013

If you want to feel like you have your own sleek pied-a-terre in NYC, this is the place for you! Refinery Hotel seems much more like your sophisticated city apartment than a hotel room. The loft-like rooms are large by NY standards, and the very high ceilings enhance that voluminous ambience. The stylish industrial vibe is demonstrated in the interesting mix of wood, metal, and leather furniture, along with dark wood floors. Elegant bathrooms, with hand-crafted luxury fittings by the venerable English firm Lefroy Brooks, are impressive. The wall-hung toilet, refined black-marble-topped sink console, and marble mosaic tile floor fill the bathroom with character as well as functionality.

Unlike many hotels (at any price), the walls seem to be quite thick; we never heard sound from other rooms or out in the corridor. Even though you're right in the heart of NYC, outside noise was fairly minimal.

The staff is young and very eager to please (perhaps a little TOO eager sometimes), but I attributed that to the fact that they JUST opened. Yes, there were a few service glitches, such as housekeepers that were not consistent in the level that they cleaned the room, but I expect that will get corrected when they work out all the opening kinks. You might expect a hip hotel like this to have staff with a snobby attitude, but it is quite the opposite here, with an abundance, sometimes overabundance, of sociability and friendliness. I stayed here with my family for 7 nights, so I think we probably met every staff member during that time.

The midtown location is quite central, with Bryant Park, Times Square, and the Garment District in close proximity, plus a view of the nearby Empire State Building. The closest subway stop is just two blocks away, as is the stunningly beautiful New York Public Library. Across the street is an excellent coffee place called Culture Espresso, not to be missed by real coffee aficionados. On the corner is a very handy market/deli, and on another corner is an outpost of Pret A Manger, the British sandwich shop chain, all very handy.

Hopefully, in the future, the hotel will offer more pillow options. We found the down pillows to be completely unsupportive, so soft that your head completely sinks through to the bottom, and, when we requested firmer pillows, all they had to offer was a similarly-soft down alternative foam pillow. Otherwise, sheets and towels were Frette; no complaints there.

Returning to this hotel after a long day, it is quite nice to find in the elevator lobby a staff member offering complimentary wine, which is done daily.

We dined our first night at Parker & Quinn, the hotel's restaurant and bar, which certainly doesn't feel like a "hotel restaurant" at all. In keeping with the hotel's character, this restaurant is smart, sophisticated, well designed, and cozy, with utterly delicious food that was somewhat simple, but by no means plain or boring. I'm still thinking about the deeply satisfying Tomato Bacon Bisque and hoping that the chef will share his recipe with me!

The next time I want to fantasize about having my own NY apartment, I'll surely return to Refinery Hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are especially light-filled and bright.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank born2travel555
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for your fantastic post, born2travel555. You give a great room tip and we appreciate your helpful comments on our location, various amenities, and staff! We will take your experience with our pillows into account as we continue to evaluate and improve. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!