“Unique and exciting”

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Unique and exciting”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Found refinery online and booked sight unseen. Was welcomed by several staff upon arrival, received a complimentary glass of wine at checkin, then walking into the room we were impressed by the decor and boutique feel. Restaurant was amazing all around. Food and helpful staff. Ended up eating there twice, bringing friends the second time. The rooftop bar would be my only suggestion for improvement. Had a 10-person group reservation. Could not get food as kitchen was not functional (i was told when making the reservation that bar food was available). Had to protect our seating while guests arrived, the server was not very pleasant and similar looking drinks were just set in front of us to figure out whose was whose, one person never got his drink order, and 15 minutes into our reservation we were told that a private party would arrive in 30 minutes and we would have to leave. One of my guests ordered water and was told to get it herself, pointing to a self serve water station.

• Stayed July 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your hotel stay and thank you for your review, Klake74. We hope you will make a return visit soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The best hotel by far of all the hotels I stayed at. Modern. Beautiful decor. Clean. Young, dynamic, friendly staff. Quiet, comfortable room. Exceptional service, you just don't want to leave at the end of your stay! I don't normally write reviews, but this time I just had to! I will definitely be back! (The rooftop bar, wow!)

• Stayed July 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Your kind response means so much to us, Aaddaa, and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 21 July 2013

It was a good decision to stay at the Refinery based on the reviews and I can recommend it as many others have. This is one of the few hotels I can say I could sleep like I was at home in my own bed in my years of traveling.

However, I cannot agree with anyone who gives the hotel higher than a hotel star rating of 4. My observation/opinion it is a solid 3.5 star and I can give it an Excellent tripadvisor rating based on my hotel 3.5 star rating criteria and the price level for this room.

My rating and information is based on a July 2013 stay in a 8th floor Deluxe Double Queen and a family stay with 3 persons in the room.

Many of the services the hotel did provide we did not have the opportunity to use and we did not have interest to change from very casual shorts, etc. to meet the dress code for the Rooftop bar. Hotel guests did not appear to have priority to other patrons for access.

The following observations and comments are intended to be helpful to a business traveler or tourist guest with family:

Location - short walk to 42nd Street subway and only a few minutes to Times Square, other attractions, and Grand Central Terminal; Deli store on the street corner for late night needs of yourself or children

Room - spacious with high ceiling and wood flooring with rug; air quality was excellent; did not open the windows as should be possible (note: children are unlikely to be able to unlock or open the windows); no stationary or typical printed information for hotel and local attractions

Bathroom - shower glass does not allow privacy for families who might need the privacy to get the family through quickly for showers, toilet, make-up, etc.; mirror and lighting ok but not very good for shaving or similar; sink area has limited room for cosmetics or toiletries; hair dryer provided; towels adequate but not soft/fluffy, not much space to have towels for more than 3 persons and could not hang towels or hand washed items inside the shower

Amenities - standard set of shower soap/gel, shampoo, conditioner; no tooth brush sets, shaving sets, etc. that might be found in other international or 5 star hotels

Bed/pillows - comfortable bed and pillows; if you prefer a firm mattress these beds might not be for you or check if available

Noise - did not have or notice any noise from other guests or rooms! Only low level street noise even with a jack hammer & construction outside in the morning during business/work hours.

Room temp - controllable by the guest

Connectivity - Wifi adequate speed and easy connection; USB power; docking for iPhone in alarm radio

Room safe - large enough for an average laptop and other items, but a hotel safe was not available for use for more important/valuable items.

Coffee/tea - not available in room; complimentary coffee available at lobby area during limited morning hours

Refrigerator and mini bar - standard hotel room frig with capability to rearrange for some of your own small drinks or food; typical mini bar items but no snacks or we overlooked them

Silverware - none; no disposables

Elevator - adequate number, size, and speed for the number of guests but typical jerky motion of older or low end design elevators

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Illinois-Yokohama
Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful commentary, Illinois-Yokohama. We greatly appreciate your taking the time and look forward to your next stay!
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

There is nothing bad to say about this hotel; my mom, sister, and I stayed here for 7 nights and it was wonderful. The front of the house staff is incredible, always friendly and helpful. The rooftop bar is BEAUTIFUL, and seems to be very popular. The lobby serves complimentary coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. I can't tell you how nice it was to come into the lobby after walking around a hot NYC all day and be offed a chilly glass of white to take up to my room. The rooms are very large, the shower heads are tall (big bonus for me at 5'11) and our room had a bathtub. Fast, free wifi.

I loved that this hotel was right in the middle of the city; it made getting around very easy and made my first non-business trip to NY very enjoyable. I was able to walk right outside and get whatever I needed; the subway is also close by. All in all I really liked this hotel, and the next time I'm in NYC I'm probably going to be staying here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay and made the most of our location, Victoria R—we can’t wait for you to visit us again.
London
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed here for 10 nights whilst in town for a wedding and I have to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable stay - we were so sad to leave!

So many positive things to stay so I will try to keep it brief - excellent decor throughout, very stylish, hip, yet comfortable and welcoming. Lovely beds (up there with Four Seasons!), cavernous rooms with large windows, plenty of storage space, even the bathroom products are great. The overall style is a bit like an All Saints store - somewhat stripped back, industrial looking, but it works so well as it is quality throughout.

Great rooftop bar - it is WELL worth a visit if you're in the hotel. There's a fabulous view of the Empire State building, enormous outdoor terrace, and a big impressive bar with bar food etc. Really fits in well with the vibe of the hotel and was becoming a really popular evening location by the time we left.

Great restaurant - the hotel has an equally stylish restaurant on the ground floor serving really great american-style food. Had breakfast and lunch here a few times, and the ethos shines through the whole place.

Great bar on the ground floor - not the biggest joint but it's such a welcome place after a busy day in the city. Mario was a great host, ever so warm and friendly and genuinely eager to help you have a good time. The bar manager Robert is also worth a mention, another really helpful and very friendly character who couldn't do enough to help. Both made us feel ultra welcome whenever we turned up, and the drinks aren't bad either!!

The location of the hotel is really great too - West 38th between 5th and 6th Avenues. Part of the garment district, but basically it's a block or two from Times square and almost in the middle of manhattan! A short walk to the empire state, rockerfeller, times square, nicely located between two metro stations meaning you can get most anywhere on manhattan in 15 minutes. 15 mins walk from central park, it really is right in the thick of it all.

Last thing to mention, and this is really what made our trip - the level of service throughout our stay was utterly impeccable. Hard to put in to words but the staff absolutely make this place, from the guys on the door who know your name and greet you warmly or strike up conversation when you pass by, to the staff behind reception who literally cannot do enough to make your stay, it was really remarkable. The only other place we've been so well looked after is the Four Seasons in Seattle, so these guys are doing a really fantastic job - well done!!

Our next trip to NY we will definitely stay here, no question! Thank you so much for the great time we had.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street get the traffic noise, but also the view of the empire state building. Th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, andyrout1—we hope you will visit NYC and Refinery Hotel again soon.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have been staying in NYC almost every week for over 3 years.....decided to try staying at refinery this past week....AMAZING!!!!! By far the best hotel experience I have ever had in NYC. Service and accommodation were top notch....the staff anticipated my every need, the food at the restaurant is fabulous, the rooms, beautiful...the staff wonderful!!! will definitely be my home away from home from this point on.

Saulina S

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
We are so proud to be your home away from home, Saulina S, and look forward to your next visit!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2013

For our 3rd trip to NYC, we wanted to live in the hearth of Manhattan yet be able to sleep well at night, have comfortable beds, enjoy a complete silence at night, yet be able to go out to the bars and restaurant within a walking distance. We found all this at the Refinery.
Upon our arrival at 10h00, our room was ready, impeccably clean. Concierge and reception staff was friendly, warm, helpful.
Rooms are decorated with style, not crowded, every corner is well thought of.
Bathroom is sparkling clean, hot water all the time without fail.
Rooftop bar is to be seen, at night and during the day. The view is spectacular. The design of the place makes you feel like you are in another century.
All staff members were superiorly nice, pleasant, helpful, and discrete.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JFortin
I am so glad we were able to accommodate and that you enjoyed the décor. We hope you will come back again soon!