“Great location, room and price with good service”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great location, room and price with good service”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I saw this hotel advertised on trip advisor great rate. As others have said good service very nice room big hip and cool. Bathroom is small no place to hang up towels I thought walls were a little thin one night. Rooftop bar very nice on Sunday different crowd. Close to all we wanted and needed. Breakfast at hotel only once way to slow and disorganized Concerirge very helpful. Would certainly return

• Stayed July 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for posting Hockeybo. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I rarely review anything, but I have to say a few words about this property... I stayed in this hotel for two nights last week and cannot overstate how fantastic the customer service was. From the time I checked in to the time I checked out, the staff at the hotel bent over backwards to provide great service. Not to be over-shadowed, the rooms were large, clean and exactly what you would expect in a higher-end boutique hotel-- nothing out of place. The sleep was great and the rooms were quiet in general-- you couldn't hear anything from your neighbors. The bathrooms were well stocked with everything you needed.
I only have three minor complaints that I think will be worked out over time: 1) the pipes were extremely loud late at night in the room, 2) the Rooftop Bar appears to overshadow the rest of the hotel during the evening hours and is a bit out-of-place in the amount of attention it gets from the staff; and 3) the elevators were slow (and even slower when the Rooftop Bar took exclusive possession over one of the elevators at night).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gfrunnergrl
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for your review and acknowledgment of our staff’s attention to service, gfrunnergrl. We hope you will return to Refinery Hotel soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Compliments to the doormen, check-in staff and concierge - polite at every encounter and helpful with restaurant recommendations, things to do, etc. Aziz, one of the doormen, remembered our names and left the hotel on multiple occasions to hail a cab for us during peak hours. 10th floor room had a good view of the Empire State Building and was ample space for three people.

Rooftop bar outside was also nice...the gentleman managing the elevator was not. Very insulting to have him tell us that it's "guest list" only two nights in row, but then proceeded to allow us entrance with attitude. Relative to the two off-the-street patrons in front of us, we were well-dressed. He also did not ask if we were staying at the hotel - we had to tell him and adding additional insult, he requested that we show proof.

Would have been a 5 star rating, but the lack of service from the elevator guy soured our impression. Would come back to stay, but will go elsewhere for a rooftop bar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HTCormier
We are sorry to hear of your soured experience with the rooftop, HTCormier, but are pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay—we hope you will come back again!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I'm a guest here right now, and I didn't want to wait until I returned home to write my review. I work at a 5 Star resort in California, so the barre is unusually high in my world. Having been involved with property openings, I expected there might be a few rough edges here and some kinks to work out, but I couldn't have been more mistaken! The staff here is stellar, and doing everything in their power to make sure we are all comfortable and our needs are being met at all times. We were given an early check-in, which is a rarity after a red-eye from the West Coast. The room had a few "first-timer" glitches, which were quickly and cheerfully fixed. I love the clean and uncluttered feel of the room with its high ceilings and wood floors (a little more drawer space would be good). The beds are extremely comfy! Love ALL the restaurants and the rooftop bar. Breakfast in Parker & Quinn is excellent.
There is always a learning curve during the first year, but everyone is eager to make it all work. This property is young, hip, full of life, and an exciting stop in the garment district. Walk to Bryant Park, Penn Station, Times Square, etc. I am happy to say that The Refinery will be my new place to stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Our friends were in 603...bigger than our room and higher ceilings. That room was shower only tho- n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting, karla r, and for recognizing that we are in our early stages. Your patience and excitement are much appreciated and we can’t wait for your next visit.
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Found refinery online and booked sight unseen. Was welcomed by several staff upon arrival, received a complimentary glass of wine at checkin, then walking into the room we were impressed by the decor and boutique feel. Restaurant was amazing all around. Food and helpful staff. Ended up eating there twice, bringing friends the second time. The rooftop bar would be my only suggestion for improvement. Had a 10-person group reservation. Could not get food as kitchen was not functional (i was told when making the reservation that bar food was available). Had to protect our seating while guests arrived, the server was not very pleasant and similar looking drinks were just set in front of us to figure out whose was whose, one person never got his drink order, and 15 minutes into our reservation we were told that a private party would arrive in 30 minutes and we would have to leave. One of my guests ordered water and was told to get it herself, pointing to a self serve water station.

• Stayed July 2013
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your hotel stay and thank you for your review, Klake74. We hope you will make a return visit soon!
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The best hotel by far of all the hotels I stayed at. Modern. Beautiful decor. Clean. Young, dynamic, friendly staff. Quiet, comfortable room. Exceptional service, you just don't want to leave at the end of your stay! I don't normally write reviews, but this time I just had to! I will definitely be back! (The rooftop bar, wow!)

• Stayed July 2013
Your kind response means so much to us, Aaddaa, and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 21 July 2013

It was a good decision to stay at the Refinery based on the reviews and I can recommend it as many others have. This is one of the few hotels I can say I could sleep like I was at home in my own bed in my years of traveling.

However, I cannot agree with anyone who gives the hotel higher than a hotel star rating of 4. My observation/opinion it is a solid 3.5 star and I can give it an Excellent tripadvisor rating based on my hotel 3.5 star rating criteria and the price level for this room.

My rating and information is based on a July 2013 stay in a 8th floor Deluxe Double Queen and a family stay with 3 persons in the room.

Many of the services the hotel did provide we did not have the opportunity to use and we did not have interest to change from very casual shorts, etc. to meet the dress code for the Rooftop bar. Hotel guests did not appear to have priority to other patrons for access.

The following observations and comments are intended to be helpful to a business traveler or tourist guest with family:

Location - short walk to 42nd Street subway and only a few minutes to Times Square, other attractions, and Grand Central Terminal; Deli store on the street corner for late night needs of yourself or children

Room - spacious with high ceiling and wood flooring with rug; air quality was excellent; did not open the windows as should be possible (note: children are unlikely to be able to unlock or open the windows); no stationary or typical printed information for hotel and local attractions

Bathroom - shower glass does not allow privacy for families who might need the privacy to get the family through quickly for showers, toilet, make-up, etc.; mirror and lighting ok but not very good for shaving or similar; sink area has limited room for cosmetics or toiletries; hair dryer provided; towels adequate but not soft/fluffy, not much space to have towels for more than 3 persons and could not hang towels or hand washed items inside the shower

Amenities - standard set of shower soap/gel, shampoo, conditioner; no tooth brush sets, shaving sets, etc. that might be found in other international or 5 star hotels

Bed/pillows - comfortable bed and pillows; if you prefer a firm mattress these beds might not be for you or check if available

Noise - did not have or notice any noise from other guests or rooms! Only low level street noise even with a jack hammer & construction outside in the morning during business/work hours.

Room temp - controllable by the guest

Connectivity - Wifi adequate speed and easy connection; USB power; docking for iPhone in alarm radio

Room safe - large enough for an average laptop and other items, but a hotel safe was not available for use for more important/valuable items.

Coffee/tea - not available in room; complimentary coffee available at lobby area during limited morning hours

Refrigerator and mini bar - standard hotel room frig with capability to rearrange for some of your own small drinks or food; typical mini bar items but no snacks or we overlooked them

Silverware - none; no disposables

Elevator - adequate number, size, and speed for the number of guests but typical jerky motion of older or low end design elevators

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Illinois-Yokohama
Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful commentary, Illinois-Yokohama. We greatly appreciate your taking the time and look forward to your next stay!