“Sophisticated”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #30 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 July 2013

It was our first trip to New York and we were fortunate to have booked the Refinery Hotel. You can’t go wrong staying at this hotel! We arrived very early in the morning (1:00 AM) and the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating. From the doorman, to the service desk, to the attendants we were treated as if we were the only guests in the hotel. We couldn’t say enough about the kind, professional, and courteous service we received throughout our stay. Every person we encountered greeted us with a smile and inquired about our stay, and if we needed anything. The modern décor, Rooftop Bar, and restaurant (Parker & Quinn) were tasteful and sophisticated. The location is right in the heart of Manhattan, close to everything. All-in-all the hospitality of the staff, the large comfortable room (loved the pillows), the modern décor and the location make the Refinery a must stay when visiting New York!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for posting, Robert P—I am so glad we were able to accommodate your late arrival and that you enjoyed your entire stay. We can’t wait for your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,304)

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Refinery Hotel in NYC. It has a great location and the furnishings are nice and upscale. However, I was disappointed at the indifference of staff/management to our bathroom light not working.

On our 1st evening there, the bathroom light clicked off and would not come back on. The next morning I told them about the problem at the front desk and they said they would take care of it. When we got back that afternoon, the bathroom light still did not work. The young, smiling people at the front desk were certainly pleasant, but I was concerned that they did not know how to handle problems so I asked to talk to a manager. After waiting at the front desk for 10 minutes waiting for a manager, I gave up and went back to our room.

At that point, my wife figured out that the “ground fault interrupter” plug at the sink was clicking off and, when it did, the whole circuit for the bathroom went dead. The “GFI” at my house only affects that particular plug but . . . I guess this hotel is different.

After enduring a visit from a smart-alecky maintenance man, who acted like the “clicking off” was no big deal, that evening, I visited the front desk again, and explained the problem in specific detail and requested it be fixed.

All that was on Friday. When we left Sunday morning, the bathroom light still remained defective. Nothing had been done.

Another unsatisfactory part of our visit involved an elevator that was apparently reserved in the evening for the rooftop bar, at which “bouncer ropes” were installed. One afternoon, not seeing any bouncer ropes and with the door to that elevator opening, I went to get in it and was rudely chased out. This certainly made me feel like a second-class citizen and I wonder if this hotel’s priorities are not so much servicing the room guests (which priority would have led them to fix my bathroom light or, at least, a manager showing up to talk to me when I asked to speak to a manager) but more collecting the money from their popular rooftop bar (which priority leads them to chasing guests out of one of the elevators).

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Larry2136
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your post, Larry2136. We apologize for any indifference and inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback holds great value for us and we want to assure you that we are following up with all relevant departments so as to improve our services for all future stays.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

From the minute we walked in for our 3 night stay, the hotel was perfect. Compared to the heat and noise of New York outside, the hotel had an atmosphere of calm sophistication and all the staff were so attentive to helping us enjoy our stay. We stayed with our 2 teenage children who were also made very welcome.
The roof top bar is one of the best bars we had ever visited and looks directly onto the Empire State Building, what a view!
Would also recommend the hotel restaurant downstairs good food, great vibe and a live DJ - also reasonably priced compared to other similar restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 900JPL

Thank you for your post 900JPL. We’re proud to be called perfect and hope to have you visit again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

It's a great combination of wide rooms, design, nice environment, entertainment and good customer service. The staff were friendly and very attentive to details.
I really loved the experience in this hotel and I highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

We are so happy that you enjoyed your Refinery experience, Renato28, and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This new hotel is doing something right training its employees. Every person I encountered during my stay was professional, attentive and genuinely focused on providing the guest with an excellent experience. The front desk personnel, doormen, housekeeping staff and restaurant staff could not have been nicer. When the manager of the restaurant heard we missed our dinner reservation because our show got out so late, he went out of his way to make sure we got fed even though the kitchen had already closed. Our corner room (a deluxe with 2 queen beds) was HUGE. The bathroom was also large. The rooftop bar was very trendy. I wish I knew in advance that I should make a reservation in order to get a table outside.

Room Tip: A corner room has windows on 2 sides. I think my room ended in 06.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Susan L
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you so much for your review, Susan L. Your appreciation of our staff means a lot to us and we can't wait to welcome you back to Refinery Hotel.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

First, I would like to say that I am a hotel snob. Meaning that I don't stay at hotels that usually aren't "known" and have a great reputation. Do to the overwhelming response on Tripadvisor to the Refinery, I decided to give it a try. I stayed here in July for 4 nights. The first 3 nights were in a King Suite as a couple and the last night was in a double room with a coworker. This hotel is absolutely amazing. The rooms are big, even outside of nyc standards. The rooftop bar is to die for. The views are incredible and awe inspiring. The restaurant has decadent food for breakfast and dinner (the two meals I tried there). The decorations are modern and unique. The linens and beds make you never want to get out and explore the city but you do since you're in NY.
Mostly, though, even if you stayed at a hotel with all of this, you cannot compare to the staff and level of service displayed here. From the non-traditional uniform of checkered shirts, jeans and suspenders to the smiles on their faces, you know this is not the typical nyc hotel. The doormen are always running to get the door for you and ask you if you need anything. They remember your name and offer directions instantly. If they don't know where something is, they look it up on their iphones for you in two seconds flat. Azzis (one of the doormen) actually ran two blocks down the street for me to hail a cab to the airport at rush hour. The front desk attendants are super friendly too. My two favorites were the morning guys. I didn't catch their names but I know one was Colombian and one was from Dubai. The cleaning crew was all smiles and did their job impeccably without disturbing me one time. The bartenders were friendly and fun to interact with two. Some of the special touches included getting an umbrella to carry with me all day on a rainy day, a cold glass of white wine as I entered the hotel after a long day of working and a free Refinery specialty pin that the staff wear that is my favorite NY souvenir now. The manager, Albert, is also the key to this operation. He goes out of his way to help in any way he can. Just ask for him and you'll know right away that he takes pride in the place.
I would like to tell you that this hotel is plush in all ways and the staff make it incredible. Believe all of the reviews. If anyone can complain here, they need to realize they are just miserable in life. Perfect midtown location close to everything, beautiful hotel and a great night's sleep. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the empire state building. You won't be dissappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Athena P
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you very much for your energetic and kind words, Athena P. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Loved my stay at The Refinery. Its definitely a trendy NYC hotel, but as long as thats your style - then its the perfect stay. My room size was nice, the bathroom was AMAZING, and the friendly service was spot on. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting, ginny t--we are proud to have your recommendation and look forward to your next visit.