“Not quite ready for prime time”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #28 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a good rating but there were too many issues to rate a higher score. First the good news; the staff was great, extremely nice and hit the sweet spot between too pushy and not interested. The location, while not perfect is close to a lot and easy to get to. The hotel restaurant, while pricey was good and service fine. The bed was comfortable and the TV large considering the small size of the room. Now my issues. The rooms a little small for the price. I actually like to sit and read while my wife gets ready to go out and while there was a small desk chair, you are really left with sitting on the bed propped up on pillows which was a little uncomfortable. The carpet is very thin offering no real comfort and appeared to be more for show. The lighting is just awful; either too dim or too bight and harsh. Very poor lighting options. The sound proofing is not great. We were on the third floor and could hear what people were saying on the street. The sound from the rooftop bar was slightly audible and I can only guess how loud it must be on the upper floors. A fire alarm went off at 11PM; and 12:30; and 1:00AM. When I inquired about the condition of the fire alarm system, I was told they figured out what was wrong at 11PM but didn't explain why it went off again and again. My experience has been most hotels take off a modest amount for the awful nights sleep we had. Refinery sent a note and a few tiny cupcakes (too sweet to eat but that's me). They might want to rethink that policy. You go to a hotel primarily to sleep there. If the hotel wakes you up over and over, it would seem appropriate to knock off 10% (or more?). You can get a room at the NY Palace if you pay in advance for almost the same price. The rooms are bigger, prettier and quieter. Not a bad experience at the Refinery but not good enough to return with so many other options.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here after my generally negative review, book a non-street side room. The vie...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank GoIndians
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

GoIndians, our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay due to our fire alarms. We are delighted that you enjoyed interacting with the staff and hope you will consider another visit to Refinery Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We went there for a girls weekend with our 13 year old daughters and had a wonderful time. The Refinery is amazing. It was clean, safe, super cool, and is in a great location. The roof top bar is incredible. The service is some of the best I have received and we stay at the Ritz quite frequently. The staff at the Refinery is truly amazing. Everyone is so nice and they are also incredibly helpful. Every single staff member will stop what they are doing to talk to you and help you with questions and directions and suggestions. I would absolutely stay at the Refinery again and I will recommend it to anyone going to New York. It's a great place with or without kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend with us, Debbie M and hope you will all visit again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is a stylish boutique hotel situated in the heart of Manhattan. There are many things I really like about this place. It is new, modern, and chic. Our room, while not large, had a high ceiling which give it a sense of space (If you want more elbow room, it's worth reserving an executive suite). The room was surprisingly quiet, possibly due to the few rooms on each floor and being far above the street. Refinery Hotel also has a rooftop bar space where locals and tourists mingled under the stars. On one warm August night, with the lit Empire State Building in front of us, we were finally understanding why New Yorkers love this city. But, the most impressive strength of this hotel is their staff. Every single staffer, from the doorman, to the front desk person, to the room service manager were really friendly, cheerful, and helpful. Their warmth made the whole city feel friendly. We will be back!

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nancyclairemuir

Thank you for your post, Nancyclairemuir. Your acknowledgement of our staff means a lot to us and we all look forward to your return.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My partner and I went to NYC for a birthday weekend. We usually take the easy way out and book a Starwood property; this time I wanted to try something different.

It is a very chic property. The rooms were pretty generously sized for Midtown; the bath was very comfortable (although, the lighting isn't the best for shaving).

My two biggest issues in any hotel are: how well do the blackout shades work, and how comfortable is the bed? Both of these issues were no issue at all: we slept in till 10am the first day!

The staff were all very sweet and helpful without being obtrusive. The doormen actually appeared interested in how our day out on the town went (rather than just a rehearsed line to "make" the guest feel cared for).

We wish the rooftop had a full kitchen (but, apparently that's happening soon). We did not eat at the attached restaurant; it was a very busy evening, and we wanted a quieter dining experience.

Stay there. It's worth it.

Room Tip: We picked a room away from the elevator on the seventh floor. To be honest, it may have been overki...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BudfromMPLS

So glad that you gave us a try, BudfromMPLS, and that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We visit NYC twice a year and we've been rotating between two mid-town hotels so it was great that a new one happened to open a month before our planned visit. It was so new that the Dial-7 car that picked us up from LGA didn't even have it in their drop-down menu and I entered the hotel's address manually. No worries, we knew which corner it was on even though our driver had no idea. :) Walking into the hotel we were greeted warmly by the staff who were dressed in very cute uniforms. I think everyone was smiling at the hotel except one fellow who did our currency exchange - he wasn't in a uniform but in a suit. Our room was decent sized and clean (it was only a month old). We had no particular view but that was ok, we only went back to the hotel to sleep. My husband liked the hotel more than I did and the reason is that he has little to no toiletries except a toothbrush and a razor. There is no counter space around the sink. I had to use the small shelf above the toilet and risk having items fall in. There's nothing the hotel can do about the layout of the room, but I guess if you need more vanity space upgrade your room? Our safe did not work for our 3 night stay but we did have a couple of the hotel's engineers give it their best shot at fixing it - we gave up and decided our room was safe enough to store important items. Kudos to the engineers again for being able to open up the tampered lock of my "lost" suitcase that was broken into at Toronto's Pearson Airport after being checked-in with Air Canada. Thank you very much!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissCLam

Thank you for your review, MissCLam, and for noting our great location--we hope you will be visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I spent hours searching for an ideal NYC hotel for a weekend trip with my 15 year old daughter and ultimately decided on The Refinery after reading many favorable articles and reviews. In sum, we couldn't have chosen a better place for our trip.

The Refinery is new boutique hotel located in an ideal location for guests who want to explore the city. We initially had an issue with our room that I booked through a third party (we intended to book two double beds but the agency apparently booked us a room with one double bed) but Renita Matthaeus, the Manager, immediately saved the weekend for us by correcting the mistake and putting us in a great room on the 7th floor. Renita is awesome and was very kind to spend time over the next several days talking with my daughter about the colleges in NY. Renita went to NYU!

My daughter loved that the hotel is very "hip and cool." The decor throughout the hotel is unique and sets it apart from other hotels in NYC. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. You would be hard pressed to find a more friendly and attentive staff anywhere else in NYC....they take the time to get to know you and are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable with their recommendations. The restaurant was very good and the roof top bar is also very nice with excellent views. Note that you cannot take children to the roof top bar which is a bummer!

We had a fabulous trip and I cannot thank Renita and her staff enough for the excellent hospitality and service. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Glad that both you and your daughter enjoyed the visit and thank you for your kind words, David8675309--we hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This hotel is amazingly fun and the staff is so friendly and accommodating.
Everyone in the hotel went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect.

Location is very important and the Refinery is in the heart of the city. The main level bar is very cool for after work to meet up with friends but they also have a rooftop that is just beyond words.
Rooms are spacious and the beds are super comfortable.

I cannot imagine anyone not being very happy with their stay at the Refinery...

Room Tip: I had 5 other friends on my trip with me and I saw their rooms. Mine was the least expensive and it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting, Linda K--we are proud that you would consider us the best. We look forward to your next visit!