4,705 results
All reviewsrooftop barparker quinnbryant parkhat factorythe empire state buildingcupcakesnew yorkmagnolia bakerygreat hotellive jazzhardwood floorsboutique hotelhotel gueststimes squaregreat boutiquecomfortable bedsstreet noise
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Refinery was the best hotel I have ever stayed in New York City. The service diffinitely sets it apart from any other hotel. In my opinion the service of a hotel makes your stay. And the hospitality of the staff was superb. There was always someone in the lobby to assist you and to welcome you back when you returned. The rooms unique. The location is great. I liked the location because it was not in an overly crowded part of the city but had access to Times Square and shopping! I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. And it is pet friendly!!!

Loved the food in the attached restaurant. Other nice restaurants nearby, too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dickie R
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, Dickie R. Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business.
Rooms were clean but not immaculate. I think it has to do with all the dark colors showing dust all over. But dont get me wrong, its not a "dirty" hotel, its just that the dust showed all over the place.
I was not overly impressed as I was expecting to be with this new hotel.
I found the rooms to be very "grey" with its refinery theme. Didnt feel very comfortable or homey inside the room.
Location is good. rooms are a good size. Staff was very courteous. Based on my personal taste, I didnt really love the place. Just too cold.

Room Tip: ask for high floor to avoid hearing outside NYC noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your post, ToddNewYork_NY. While we are sorry to hear of your disappointment in our decor, your kind words regarding our staff and service mean a lot to us. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I usually stay downtown, but made a move up to the Garment District, and I'm glad I did! Friendly, helpful staff, easy check-in, but the best was the room itself. For NY it was huge! Lovely and clean with a large bathroom and walk-in shower. The bed was comfy, and even though I faced the street, it was quiet.

Room Tip: A higher floor is always quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for your review, LaHa3. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Three nights on business. Also worth noting that we used the Refinery Rooftop, Parker & Quinn and Winnie's Lobby Bar for our 1.5 day conference. They, however, are owned and operated independently from the hotel (and reviewed separately by me).

Let me first talk about the fire alarm incident of Nov 20th. It was somewhere in the 2am hour when the fire alarms (full fledged, loud enough to wake the entire block) sounded. Over the next 45 minutes, the alarms continued to sound made worse by the staff making continuous (and confusing) messages over the loudspeaker. I doubt that anyone in the entire hotel was able to go back to sleep (many of them foreign tourist confused about what was happening). I would've given a higher rating, but I'm disappointed in how the Refinery team handled the alarm. No apologies, no simple note put under our door the next morning to apologize, no simple bar voucher to say "we're so sorry we ruined your night, and because you didn't sleep, your day, too."

The hotel itself is nice. Brand new as of summer 2013. The location is mediocre (I lived in NYC for 6 years), but may be will suited depending where you need to be in Manhattan. If you take a moment to imagine what a hotel would look like if it was done almost entirely by Restoration Hardware, you have The Refinery. Definitely small. If you're looking to avoid seeing people in the lobby and hallways, this isn't your place.

My Studio Double Queen was well designed. I loved the linens (sheets and towels). The bed was quite firm and truly comfortable. The AC/heat system worked great. Also loved the lighting control panels by the front door and bed that easily controlled all lights in the room. The bathroom is small, but elegant. The Le Labo bath amenities are nice--but I can see how many people may not like the scent. The desk is small and has lots of stuff on it (mini bar, etc), leaving it not too effective for working.

No coffee makers in the rooms is an always-irritating characteristic. Yes, I understand you have free coffee in the lobby. When I wake up, however, and want to get down on some emails, I don't want to walk to the lobby to get it.

Lastly, the staff seems to be getting their groove together. The company I was visiting had prepared a welcome gift for me. The hotel sent it to the wrong room. One gift bag down. The company prepared another to be delivered. Hours after it was supposed to have been sent, I hadn't seen it. I had to call three times to get it delivered.

Unless I found an insanely low rate, I doubt I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark M

MarkyMarkTXNYC, we appreciate your feedback. We apologize that your experience was not up to our usual level of excellent service and will be sure to review these details thoroughly, so as to resolve any issues for future stays.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

visited recently this newly opened boutique style hotel off 38th street and very close close to times square so location is excellent for central shopping/broadway etc---located in the garment sector.
experienced a few problems initially and there was a lack of effective management in evidence to deal with problems,.however eventually resolved with efficient front desk boss renita matthaeus..

front rooms can have traffic noise so request quiet rear.---spacious and comfortable though not luxurious in the traditional style with all facilities.
trendy top floor bar with exciting night view of nearby empire state building and outdoor heated area.
diner on ground floor convenient but expensive for breakfast items--[pastry basket especially---6 small items 13$ + taxes etc]----eat around the corner !!
excellent meet and greet from doormen.
small bar downstairs + noisy background music.
overall we would stay again as believe the "teething" problems will be resolved and will then represent good value in this location.

Room Tip: choose inward facing away from lift shafts
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Wineman100--thank you for posting, we hope you will be returning for a second visit soon.