“LOVED my stay!”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I recently moved away from NYC and returned weeks later to celebrate my 30th birthday. I had my party on the rooftop and decided to also stay at the hotel out of convenience -- and I am SO HAPPY that I did :)

We were welcomed with wine at check in and found a birthday bottle of wine with a kind hand-written note in the room. The room was gorgeously done with rustic touches and a modern elegance. The interior designer is a genius with how to maximize space. I was so thoroughly impressed with my stay (Free Coffee & Tea in the AM) and look forward to the Refinery Hotel being my new home in NYC for weekend trips :)

The location is perfectly located in the heart of town near several subway stops without being too touristy (far away enough from Times Square).

The rooftop is divine, don't miss out on this gem during your stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Happy to hear you enjoyed an excellent stay with us, kkf114--we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Overall our stay was very good. Initially, we had a slow start as we were unable to have our room until 2pm despite arriving shortly after 9am. However the room or should I say suite (Atelier) was excellent. Excellent service too from management resolving these minor teething issues. Can't beat the location and size of room given location. Good value will stay again when next in New York.

Room Tip: Atelier suite at rear are quiet and large
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We look forward to your next stay with us, Analyste, and thank you for your post.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel gives the impression of a luxury boutique hotel, but to be honest I don't think I would stay here again. Check in went fine, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We were given a room facing the street. I did not sleep a wink the first night. It is incredibly loud. I simply can't give high marks to a hotel in which I cannot obtain a good night's sleep. I took a sleep aid the next night. The sheets were rather rough, and the towels were very scratchy and hard (not luxurious). The television set was hung improperly and was crooked on the wall. The rooftop bar is nice with incredible views. All in all, I would go someplace else.

3  Thank travelgeek163

We appreciate your feedback, travelgeek163, and will be reviewing the details you have provided as we continue to improve. We hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great new hotel located in a former millinery and conveniently placed in the heart of the Garment district. The friendliest and most helpful staff ever found (thank you Basha!). Lovely decor and superb roof-top bar and terrace with close views of the Empire State Building and of the Bank of America Tower (Martini was perfect). Ideal for both families and young travellers (European holiday makers will simply love it). Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavideSagliocca
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

The superlatives are much appreciated, DavideSagliocca. Thank you for taking the time to post-- we hope to welcome you back to Refinery Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This a great and comfortable place to stay in the city. Its in the heart of midtown with main attractions in NYC only steps away. Great view of the Empire State Building on their rooftop which is also a bar and restaurant. Went here with a group of friends and we had a great time the whole weekend. It could be pricey if you are on a budget but its a worth experience. Its classy, chic, cool and clean!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jiev16

Thank you for your review, Jiev16. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Refinery was the best hotel I have ever stayed in New York City. The service diffinitely sets it apart from any other hotel. In my opinion the service of a hotel makes your stay. And the hospitality of the staff was superb. There was always someone in the lobby to assist you and to welcome you back when you returned. The rooms unique. The location is great. I liked the location because it was not in an overly crowded part of the city but had access to Times Square and shopping! I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. And it is pet friendly!!!

Loved the food in the attached restaurant. Other nice restaurants nearby, too.

1  Thank Dickie R

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, Dickie R. Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business.
Rooms were clean but not immaculate. I think it has to do with all the dark colors showing dust all over. But dont get me wrong, its not a "dirty" hotel, its just that the dust showed all over the place.
I was not overly impressed as I was expecting to be with this new hotel.
I found the rooms to be very "grey" with its refinery theme. Didnt feel very comfortable or homey inside the room.
Location is good. rooms are a good size. Staff was very courteous. Based on my personal taste, I didnt really love the place. Just too cold.

Room Tip: ask for high floor to avoid hearing outside NYC noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your post, ToddNewYork_NY. While we are sorry to hear of your disappointment in our decor, your kind words regarding our staff and service mean a lot to us. We hope you will visit us again in the future.