“Close to perfection !”

Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Stockholm
“Close to perfection !”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you, like me, like good high quality ( building, interior design ) hotels with a flavor of old times without being dusty, just go there. It's tasty, it's comfortable and it's a top location Mid Town.
Rooms are spacious ( we were at 2nd floor facing a back yard but no problem at all ) , bathrooms are great and, again, the interior design is high class and picks up the history of the building.
If I must complaint about anything: The Restaurant on the ground floor where Breakfast is served is a different history and seems not to be managed by the same company ?
On the other end: The Roof Top Bar is lovely. Outdoor, facing Empire State Building, good music, good cocktails. Yes please !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed our design and history, TangoStockholm, and hope you will be visiting us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We could not have asked for a better experience. Spent a long weekend here for a girl's weekend just before Christmas. Plenty of room for 4 in the deluxe double room, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Rooftop Bar, restaurant and bar were all above par. The location was great and Basha helped complete the experience with exemplary service upon leaving. I will definitely stay there again and recommend this hotel to anyone looking for style and great service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your post, mjwiggy--we look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at the Refinery Hotel the week before Christmas. Service was very good, as others have stated. There are always doormen and others available to assist. The best thing about the hotel is the really cool rooftop bar, but the bad thing is that during the holidays, it is rented out for private parties quite often. Their restaurant is good too - we had breakfast there a couple of times. Free coffee and tea in the lobby in the mornings. The rooms are sufficient - small just like most NY hotels. I didn't care for the almost see-thru door to the bathroom, plus ours didn't close completely. The toiletries are very nice. The location is good as you are less than a block away from Lord & Taylor and only a few blocks away from Macys. There was some construction going on a few blocks away where you did have a bit in noise in your room, but not terribly bad. The one thing that we were a bit surprised about was that the price of the room almost doubled on the Saturday night we were there. Other than that, we were pretty happy with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtwo73
Thank you for your comments, jtwo73. We will be sure to review these details as we continue to improve and look forward to welcoming you back to Refinery Hotel.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in New York for a wedding in October 2013, and decided to make a long weekend 21st Anniversary trip out if it, too. We've stayed in several hotels in NYC over the years in midtown, soho and TriBeCa, and we decided to give this newish hotel in the Garment District a try.

Everyone at reception, concierge, luggage storage and front door were very welcoming. The decor was fresh and modern and hip... and the smartly dressed staff were certainly one of the best looking hotel staffs I've run into.. I must admit I feared these beautifully hip folks wouldn't give 2 flips about our stay, but I guess I was just "profiling" them unduly and we were delighted by their attentiveness and warmth throughout our stay: from front desk (who congratulated us on our anniversary), to the guy who delivered our brunch one morning and talked football with me when he spied my Saints hat, to the elevator operator (he conversed with us exclusively in Donald Duck-talk all the way up) that took us up to the rooftop bar with stunning nighttime views of the Empire State Building.

The lobby bar is a nice place to hang out, too... Especially if the piano player is there,

We read some hit and miss reviews about shabby treatment to guests venturing up to the rooftop bar, but all I can tell you is that we were treated with humor and respect. Really enjoyed it.

The one experience at this hotel that's sums up our experience was this---My sister and her husband sent us a bottle of wine up for our anniversary, which was nice--- even nicer was The Refinery refusing to let them pay for it.

Great location. Great staff. Great facilities.

Thumbs up to The Refinery. We've already recommended it to friends...

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank olemiss4
Thank you for your review, olemiss4, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I had an amazing stay at the Refinery. Everyone was great, helpful, and professional. I also want to give a special thank you to Basha who kept my luggage at the hotel after I had checked out so I could finish a few things and arranged for a taxi to pick me up to get me to JFK on time. Really appreciate the great service at this hotel and I encourage everyone to stay there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, Kahlil S--thank you, and we hope you will be making a return trip soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2013

As an architect and dog owner, I have pretty high demands when it comes to hotel accommodations. Not only is the Refinery in a wonderful location, it is also dog friendly, tastefully designed and quiet. For a NYC hotel, that is not an easy feat to accomplish.

The lighting scheme is great, our bathroom was spotless, and I also enjoyed the very comfortable bed.

Finally, I wish the staff wasn't so nice. (Because then, I could get away without writing a review and keeping this hotel all for myself!) But, fortunately, the hotel staff was the best part of the entire stay. We were given a complimentary dog toy and treats for our pup and Joan D, who checked us in, made sure we started and ended our stay as comfortably as possible. Book this hotel. It's totally worth it.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for posting, DogMom-Eileen. Your kind words mean so much to us and we look forward to your next stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I rarely write a review here but feel I ought to share our perplexing experiences in a three night stay at the Refinery.

We were convinced to come by the remarkably positive feedback the hotel has had since opening in mid 2013. These reviews often praise the location, rooftop bar (with amazing view of the Empire State Building) and rooms - which, by New York standards, are not tiny.

The welcome from Aziz, a doorman, and the front desk staff was warm and they were helpful throughout our stay.

But that charm hasn't rubbed off on all of their colleagues.

Most egregious are the bar staff both on the roof and (especially) in the lobby bar/lounge where our request for an afternoon coffee was met with rude indifference followed by an order to "get it yourselves" from the hotel restaurant and then outright hostility from our trilby-wearing host when we added a chair to a small table to accommodate another of our party. In the end I had to speak to eight (yes, 8) members of waiting or bar staff at the hotel before securing the coffees - which I had to bring back to our group in the bar myself. The barman made us so uncomfortable we eventually decamped up to one of our rooms to drink them.

This miserable little episode caused me to ponder on the rest of the Refinery experience.

In summary: the rooms have comfortable beds and a big tv but hilariously mean storage space and (my pet hate, this, especially in a new hotel) no spare power sockets next to the bed.

The bathrooms are well-equipped with decent toiletries and good finishes, but fixed lighting to the left side of the mirror meant that, on the right, I was shaving the dark side of the moon.

Only six months after opening, the rooms are wearing badly: our room had scuff marks, a broken chair and a light-switch and stereo that don't work.

The public spaces are unwelcoming. A posse of bouncers told us the roof bar was closed to residents twice out of the three times we went up there as they focussed on private parties. Downstairs in the lobby, our single experience was of a barman with hat-i-tude problem.

Which is a shame for those parts of the hotel which are good - Aziz and his colleagues on reception, cheerful housekeeping staff (the place is spotlessly clean) and even the maintenance guy was nice.

But they don't outweigh the downsides, which is why we've just cancelled our return (planned for a few days' time) and will be moving to another hotel - where, perhaps, a cup of coffee in a comfortable bar isn't an affront to too-cool-for-school staff.

Looking at other critical reviews, our experience of the Refinery is similar to other's going back at least to August which suggests these are no longer teething troubles of a new business. The bland management responses with no promise to change anything is another reason we decided to cancel the second leg of our stay: complaining appears to achieve nothing.

• Stayed December 2013
8 Thank Hoxtonboy1
Thank you for your feedback, Hoxtonboy1. We appreciate your thoughtful review of our team and are sorry to hear that your experience was not up to our usual standard of excellence. We will be reviewing these details thoroughly to improve for all future stays.