“Wonderful”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I would like to share our experience in speaking with the Refinery Hotel and particularly with Lauren Greenbaum. We had booked a week long stay here for Christmas, and had exchanged emails confirming our room, that had been booked incorrectly by our local Travel Agent. Lauren was just so amazing at doing what she could in this busy season to give us the correct room, even though it was not the fault of the Refinery Hotel. Unfortunately our son had a most serious accident breaking his neck and back amongst other injuries. Lauren was just so helpful, very accommodating and friendly in every email. She replied so promptly you could believe she was waiting to help me. I really can't say enough about this Hotel and I so hope to one day be able to stay there. I know now that it will be a wonderful experience, because the Staff in a Hotel make your stay. Thankyou Lauren, you're a star.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bella6055
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, bella6055--we are sorry to hear that you were not able to stay with us this time around, but we do send our well wishes to you and your family and look forward to welcoming you to Refinery Hotel in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,360)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel to celebrate my 40th birthday. The hotel is very modern and our suite was really spacious. The hotel is situated really well to get to all areas of NYC with the subway 2 blocks up with various lines to different parts of the city. The staff were exceptionally friendly and can't do enough to help especially Matthew and Basha ! Our suite had a great view of the Empire State building and a huge bathroom and shower with one of the most comfy beds I've ever slept in. The decor throughout the hotel is pretty cool and the rooftop bar has an amazing view of the Empire state too. As it was my birthday the hotel even left a selection of little cakes and a complimentary bottle of wine in the room. Would highly recommend a stay here and would definitely come back !!

Room Tip: The junior suites are great as they have a little more room with a sofa area and tend to be higher u...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, jane C--thank you for your post. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was very modern and sleek. The Parker & Quinn restaurant downstairs had an interesting menu - I loved it, the food was delicious. Just one funny note: There is a little sign in the bathroom offering that patrons can use the soft,fluffy towels more than one day to save on all the water and cleaning that daily towel exchange can incur. The towels were the least fluffy, the most scruffy I have felt in a while. It made me chuckle....I chose this hotel because I am a fan of Project Runway and the 2013 Fall contestants stayed there. It truly did live up to my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, lee b--we are happy that nearly all aspects of your stay fulfilled your expectations and we will be sure to address any scruffy towels for future visits.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was my first trip to America and spending christmas in New York was a magical experience made even better by the personal touches and wonderful staff at the Refinery hotel. Our room was spacious (I was warned that hotel rooms in New York are tiny but was pleasantly surprised) with a lovely en suite bathroom. It is also in a perfect central location, really comfortable and quiet. Before going to new York I had emailed them with a couple of enquiries to ensure that we could have the perfect christmas. On Christmas eve we came back to the hotel to find a lovely wee note confirming the information that we'd asked for and a free bottle of wine and two glasses. Their rooftop bar is fantastic with a beautiful view of the empire state building. We chose to go to another hotel bar one night for a different experience and to be honest it was nowhere near as nice. This was the perfect stay. Thanks so much to everyone who works at the refinery for their hard work and for being so lovely!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We are happy to have been a part of your first New York experience, Jenni R, and are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. Thank you for your post--we look forward to your visiting again in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My Husband and I stayed at the Refinery when we eloped in October. I could not have chosen a better hotel for our trip! From the time we walked in until check out, ALMOST everything was perfect. I was honestly worried about the size of the room since we were coming from New Orleans and are used to plenty of room, but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of space in the bedroom/living area and bathroom. Everything was exceptionally clean (and I am hard to impress), the bed was incredibly comfortable, and (most of) the staff felt like old friends.

The bellmen knew us by name (and we knew some of their'), and 'Brooklyn' Ray easily became our favorite New Yorker. He was the first to great us when we checked in and by the end of our stay, we were sure to offer him a bed in New Orleans if he ever decides to make a trip for Mardi Gras. Jessie is another bellman that treated us like family, the doormen for the rooftop bar were also great, but there was one employee that did cause an issue on the most important day, my wedding day. Hanna was the front desk employee that was working when I sent my husband down to check on my wedding dress that was an hour late coming back from the cleaners. She was incredibly rude, unhelpful, and another employee had to mediate the situation.

All in all, if we were to stay in Midtown again, I would ONLY chose the Refinery.

Room Tip: Get a corner room. They are bigger!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed nearly all aspects of your stay and that you will be visiting us again in the future. We will be sure to follow up on the details of your experience and address any affront you may have felt from our staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

So you're looking for a hotel in a city as big as Manhattan and there are endless choices. And most hotels in the Big Apple will be nice enough for a comfortable and pleasant stay so which one should you choose?!
I stayed at the Refinery due to a Business Trip, but I used to live in the City so I can definitely tell you that this is a very "NYC" and fabulous hotel. Because it's NYC, the location is only as good as the activities you're looking to do so to me, it is irrelevant. Especially since within a few blocks you find the subway lines, or you can hop on a yellow taxi which can take you anywhere your heart desires.
The Refinery hotel has an industrial past and its designers have kept it that way but infused a rich, chic, and urban personality into its bones. The room doors are massive and heavy, the decor is of dark woods, and trims are semi traditional NYC-like. Just take a look at my bathroom pictures and you'll understand. I LOVED that bathroom. The detail in the tiles, with the big "R", the black marble counter, and that bathrobe was so plush I wanted to sleep in it.
And the bed? The sheets? The pillows? The fluffy comforter? TO DIE FOR!!!!!! I was late for work because I unable to peel myself off that bed. If that doesn't tell you something about the guest rooms, I don't know what will!

Room Tip: Take a moment to take a long hot shower, put on that bathrobe, crawl into that delicious fluffly bed...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your review, ginji--we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be making a return visit soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

the Refinery Hotel is fine. rooms are spacious, clean and polished. lovely and mod decor with warmth and style. bathroom is big for NYC standards and the shower is sublime!

the front desk service is friendly and welcoming. service in dining and concierge also spectacular. my only problem was that the housekeeping staff interrupted our slumber. be sure to indicate with your door tag "Do not disturb". otherwise, they may barge in on your morning snooze.

rooftop bar and lounge is fab. love the atrium and fireplace. very cozy for a cocktail and respite from walking the city streets.

we were stranded for awhile, uncertain if our flight would take off in the snow. but the staff was very accommodating and the lounge downstairs was helpful in alleviating our fears and assuring us that whatever happens, we have a home at the Refinery.

location is nice, central and an easy walk to subway stations. nearby Bryant Park offers good dining and shopping. we would definitely stay here again. look forward to our return without the Polar Vortex.

Room Tip: be sure to use your do not disturb tag to ensure a morning snooze
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosedorsey
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We, too, look forward to your return visit, rosedorsey. Thank you for your post—we will be sure to address the timing of our room make up services.