“Great Guest Service”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #30 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I checked into the Refinery, and from the moment I got there everything was amazing...
The Hotel smelled so nice, and the rooms were great.
I used the fitness center, and it was nice and clean..with great high end equipment

I spoke to the Guest Service Manager (Albert) who was extremely kind and helpful..

Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your enthusiastic post, malkah l.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,304)

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My wife & I stayed at the Refinery for 3 nights in January.

We thought the hotel was lovely, as soon as we were welcomed at the front door upon arrival.

Extremely clean, with smart decor in the lobby & lobby bar.

The room was beautifully set out, and the bed, as mentioned in previous reviews, was extremely comfortable.

Great location, a few blocks from Times Sq, Macys, Empire State Building, Central Station etc.

The rooftop bar is very smart & we also enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Parker & Quinn restaurant.

The staff were very helpful & friendly at all times.

The only criticism I would offer is this: I had contacted the hotel prior to our visit to explain that the reason for our holiday was my wifes 30th birthday & I had basically asked for something to acknowledge this. When we arrived, there was no mention of it & I had to raise the matter myself later. After this, the hotel put some mini muffins & a bottle of wine in the room, with a note congratulating us on our anniversary(!). I would expect a slicker process from a hotel like this, and i felt a bit deflated on our arrival due to this.

That said, it is a top class hotel & I believe that this isn't the norm here.

We still loved the Refinery & we would definitely consider returning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The2ndLastGunslinger

Thank you for your review, The2ndLastGunslinger. We assure you that this missed attention to detail is not the norm at Refinery Hotel. We hope that you will be visiting us again in the future, so that we may share a more complete experience of our service.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Refinery Hotel with a group of friends in celebration of my sister's bachelorette weekend. From start to finish, the service was top notch! Every employee we came across, from the woman who checked us in, to the maid I walked in on while she was cleaning, to the bouncer at the elevator for the Rooftop bar/lounge, were so professional and friendly! It was truly service with a smile.

On top of that, the rooms were spacious and chic. I loved the original artwork everywhere and the high ceilings. The details were consistently on point, from the Le Labo bath products, to the fast WIFI, to the cheerful message when you turn on the TV: "Keep Smiling..."

In addition, the location is perfect. The Rooftop Bar boasts a stunning view of the Empire State Building (great for photos!), and I, personally, appreciated the proximity to Korea Town and the LIRR!

I highly recommend this hotel. It is truly a gem!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind words, Dana C--we are happy that you enjoyed our guestrooms and location and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had the opportunity to stay at this hotel for a recent business trip and it was a great choice. Absolutely beautiful place and fantastic staff. I stayed in the executive king suite 707 and felt like I was at home. The Le Labo toiletries and super big/ super hot shower were both indulgent. Lighting was great- extra magnifying mirror to help slap on the makeup and get my herr done right were much appreciated! I managed to sleep really well (hard for me to get a good night's sleep when I travel) both nights (2 night stay) because my bed was enormous and the hotel was really quiet. It's in midtown west so you would expect the typical NYC all night noise but maybe I just lucked out and stayed in a room that was super quiet. Staff was exceptional- they wear Bowery boy type of uniforms which I figured out after a day or so- thought they were just dandy dressers and then realized it was all part of the turn of the century fashion district vibe the hotel was trying to capture. I never had the opportunity to see the old Colony Arcade Building before it was transformed into Refinery Hotel but I have to say they did an amazing job capturing the zeitgeist of that time in NYC- it's flapper- deco vintage chic with NYC sophistication. It's warm, inviting and while it's a very chic upscale hotel- it's not pretentious in any way shape or form. I'm thrilled to have stayed there and can't wait to return. The restaurant attached the hotel is fantastic- it's loud and boisterous and has excellent service- awesome comfort food - so many fun choices on the menu you could eat there for a month and never have the same thing twice. I love those types of places- it had an eclectic crowd that was a cool mix of post work meetup folks a first date couples, fashion week fabulousos and out of towners (like me). It was loud and buzzing and it's the type of place where you make friends with the people sitting at the tables all around you. Maybe that's just the magic of NYC at work. You can't help but fall in love with everything about it because it's just the best city in the world after all..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough post, LHO2024--we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I started to like this hotel before we even got there. We got a good deal on their own website, and booked the smallest room category; it was good to see the room size clearly stated. I sent an email asking about Wifi and parking, and got prompt and polite answers in return. Wifi is free, which doesn't always happen at a hotel this upscale.

We pulled up after a long drive, and there was plenty of staff to take the car and help us out. The car was full of junk and luggage and as I tried to grab things, the staff insisted on my leaving it all and letting them carry it. Then at check-in, they were friendly, fast and helpful. Hannah was greatest, and gave me a lovely small gift. Best hotel employee I've met in years.

Our room was airy and light, everything worked, bed was comfortable, linens were great and bathroom was small but perfectly designed. Loved the walk in rain shower. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

One tiny negative is that the gorgeous brass faucet on the bathroom sink splashed a lot; I doubt if these can be replaced, but there might be a fix. I'm neither an engineer nor a plumber, but I can think of an idea for the spout.

The only other thing I didn't love was that the room service/breakfast menu offered mint tea, rooibos tea, and green tea, but no common black tea.

That's not much to complain about. This was a great hotel, and a great stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor and there wasn't much street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WesternPADebkurt
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your review, WesternPADebkurt--we will be sure to follow up on the details of your comment as we continue to improve our service and look forward to welcoming you back to Refinery Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I can't put into words how I felt checking out of this hotel. I did not want to leave. I checked in on Friday Feb 7th for my bachelorette party. I immediately felt welcomed and comfortable. They made me excited for what what was to come. A gentlemen escorted me to my room with my bags and said I can contact him at any point in my stay for help. After relaxing for an hour in my spacious room (by NYC STANDARDS) We had a party upstairs kicking off the weekend and friends and family raved about the food and service on the roof. Special thanks to Jordan and team. Nothing cures a hangover more than Mac and Cheese and "hair of the dog" from Parker & Quinn to start my second day. Friends continued to arrive Saturday and they were warmly greeted. Thanks Dom, Zach and Rob for making us feel at home. And a special thanks to the doorman who offered to wheel us to Penn Station on a luggage cart. Highly recommend this hotel and hope to visit again soon.
Regan

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Regs0910
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

We greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and kind words, Regs0910, thank you for posting.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Very close to fashion district, the Refinery has a string sense of style and panache. Great design. Thoughtful touches throughout the hotel include dimmers on all lights, a privacy switch, high quality toiletries, blackout shades that REALLY work, VERY comfortable bedding, an onsite gym that, while small, is nicely appointed, a lively rooftop terrace, and many other wonderful amenities. The management team has done a nice job on consistent branding throughout the establishment. Staff is courteous and considerate. I would (and will) stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank KMH18

Thank you for your review, KMH18, we look forward to your next stay with us.