“Good Times Square Location”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #25 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Good Times Square Location”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here in October 2013 for a friends 60th birthday weekend. I had booked the hotel on line and good thing I brought my confirmation with me! Our friends got a room, but my husband and I were told that because we were a " no show" the day before, that there was no room available for us! Well, after pulling out my confirmation and showing them that I was, indeed, arriving on the day I was meant to, the clerk said nothing, put her head down and found me a room! No apology, no smile, nothing!
Then, the day before we were to leave, we got a bottle of wine and a card welcoming some stranger to our room! Apparently, we had to check out! Ha! This is when I put my foot down.
I'm sure this was a one-off mistake in booking on their part, but it really bothered me about the attitude. And then to have a nice bottle of wine delivered to my room...for someone else! Why was I not offered anything for MY inconvenience.
We don't typically like this location (too touristy) but stayed here for the benefit of my friend who had never been to NYC. It was close to Times Square, Broadway and some pub style restaurants, but for the price of the room, I wouldn't stay here again.
For a real NYC experience! stay in Greenwich Village or Hells Kitchen. Ooh, or Chelsea! I now need another NYC fix!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cyclingnomad
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post, cyclingnomad. I am sorry to hear that there was any confusion surrounding your reservation and for any affront you may have experienced from our staff. This is not the Refinery standard and we hope to welcome you back in the future, so that you may experience our dedication to customer care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
cheshire
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Fabulous 3 night stay. Gorgeous room. Totally loved the rooftop bar the views of the Empire State were fantastic The Refinery staff were so friendly and helpful. Wood thoroughly recommend this hotel to all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
We appreciate your recommendation and hope you will be visiting us again soon, scotsgirlCheshire.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for a week and generally wouldn't write reviews but this hotel deserves recognition for great service.
Hotel is beautifully presented throughout and the rooftop bar is amazing!!!
Well done guys!!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Decandval73
Thank you for your review and enthusiasm! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Decandval73.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I decided to spend Valentine's in the city and take in a broadway show. The hotel which is around the corner from Bryant Park is a 5-10 minute walk to most of Broadway. Even on a wintery cold evening the walk was not bad. Our room felt a little small but had high ceilings with contemporary features like a shower with large frameless glass enclosure, light switches that vary lighting depending on preference, lcd reading lights, large LCD TV, electronic do-not-disturb light, etc. Internet was free. For some reason the sheets felt a little stiff and the bed a little hard, but we sleep just fine. Fabulous rooftop bar. We had dinner in the downstairs restaurant. While the decor is very bar like, the food was excellent.

Staff did a great job of checking on and addressing our needs. This extra care (I think one manager who assisted was George) left my wife and I with a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TravelingDishman--thank you for your post, we are happy to hear you had a pleasant experience and we hope you will be returning in the future.
farmingdale, NY
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Refinery Hotel has become my new favorite. From the moment my son and I walked up to the hotel, the service was friendly, warm and welcoming. We chose to walk from Penn Station so we could visit Macy's and stop along the way and the doorman betrayed no snobbery that would be in evidence at other hotels. The check-in process was speedy- our room wasn't quite ready since we were being upgraded but within 10 minutes, we had received a phone call telling us that we could come back and that everything was all set for us. The location, btw, is perfect. 38th & Sixth is a great, great spot. We were at the NYC Public Library within minutes.

Our room was spacious and gorgeous- we were given a corner room so there was a ton of light. The bathroom and shower were clean and luxurious- from the toiletries and the robes. There was a closet upon first walking in, that provided ample storage. The best part of our stay according to my son...the bite-sized welcome cupcakes on the desk. Decadent and delicious.

We didn't go up to the rooftop bar (considering one of us was a minor), but I'm sure it was as nice as that rest of the hotel. We liked that you needed your room key to access the guest room floors. Overall, this is a truly lovely property with a well-trained and personable staff.

Room Tip: Room 705 was huge and light-filled
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words regarding our team, ExecGirl--we look forward to your next stay with us.
Illiopolis, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay for a weekend getaway with friends. Great location. Easy walking distance from train station.
The hotel is beautifully done. The room was ample sized , and the sky high ceiling and art decor is just so classy . Friendly staff, always helpful at every need. Great stay!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bee K
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
We are glad to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we hope you will be returning again in the future, Bee K.
Los Angeles area
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I loved this great boutique hotel in mid-town. The service is impeccable with everyone being gracious, helpful and friendly. Albert who in charge is a gem and sets the pace in terms of top of the line, friendly customer care. The rooms are quirky and not perfect but in a "boutique" hotel way, not a way that indicates a lack of care or investment. The beds are comfortable, the location is great, the atmosphere is cozy, charming and cool all at the same time and you don't feel like you're in a cut and paste big box hotel. On the downside (of which there are very few), there are very few drawers in the rooms and little counter space in the bathroom. They graciously and immediately brought me additional hangers when I inquired about more drawers but more drawer space would have been a plus. The food was good, the roof top bar fun and all-in-all, I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I heard from a friend that rooms with two beds are larger and a better bet but I didn't experien...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
We look forward to your next stay with us, allsixofusonvacation, and thank you for taking the time to post.