“Fabulous Hotel; My favorite in NYC”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed last week at this new-ish hotel. The front desk was on point, friendly, engaging, and genuine. Upon arrival, they helped make me feel comfortable right away. The rooms were spacious, with a very vintage inspired design yet modern and cool. You could have a dance party in the shower! The lobby bar/restaurant had great live music, amazing food (organic and yummy) and a very attentive bar tender who was nice and clearly enjoyed her job. The rooftop bar was cool but too noisy for me; it was too loud to have a conversation with my friends so we went back the the lobby bar.
Genuine, unpretentious, cool, modern, clean, spacious, and comfortable. I can't wait to go back! I even recommended it to my corporate travel agency to use again for the future. By far the best hotel experience I have had in the city at a realistic price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Cari M--we look forward to your return visit and thank you for your post.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,355)

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at The Refinery with a family member and friend. Overall, an exceptional experience. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, well appointed and appeared recently updated. One quirk was the sliding door to the small bathroom being opaque glass creating an awkward situation for those in the room who didn't want to view the bathroom activities of their travel companions.

Stayed: March 2014

We are happy you consider your recent stay an exceptional experience, Jeffrey A, and we hope you will be staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My recent stay at the Refinery Hotel was outstanding! Hotel staff, rooms, bellman...all fabulous!! Cool hotel at great price. It was a last minute choice that turned out to be wonderful! Thank you Refinery!!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 6th floor and had a good room. No view, but no noise, either!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Kathy Q--thank you for your review. Your kind words and energy mean a lot to us and we hope to welcome you back to Refinery Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I've stayed in many locations in NYC and I have to say I like the Refinery the best. It's new and nicely appointed. The beds are great and the staff are very accommodating. The food is great and staff are all very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

We always enjoy being considered the best, LB301. Thank you for your review--we hope you will be visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I travel a lot so for me to give such a rave review...the place must be extra special. The detail to the designs, rooms and even the privacy signs tells you that someone took a lot of care in designing the spaces. The staff was one of the most friendly and helpful staffs I have ever encountered. My bed was so comfy and room so quiet that I slept like a baby which is hard to do on the road. We will definitely be back.

Thanks for making our weekend extra special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your enthusiastic review, rosabella. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Refinery Hotel over Canadian March break a week ago. We were both very impressed with all aspects of the hotel. Location was central to everything, Bryant Park and Grand Central plus shopping in fashion district were very close by. 20 blocks easy walk to Central Park. Close to all the subways.

Service was impeccable. Room was stylish, quiet, comfortable beyond compare, and clean. We were on the 7th floor facing the courtyard so very quiet but no view. On check in we were upgraded at no cost to a double queen bed room, which was very much appreciated!

Didn't get a chance to see the rooftop since kids not allowed up at night, too bad.

The Restaurant food was delicious! Although expensive for breakfast - we ate there once and opted for Bryant Deli across the street for takeout breakfasts.

I would come back in a minute, but perhaps just with my husband next time. Very romantic hotel, with a great bar and singers most nights, but kids not allowed to sit in the bar area.

On our last day there I walked into first set of double glass doors at the entrance and slammed my nose! (My fault). Staff were so kind and helpful in getting me quick medical aid (all was fine!), free breakfast, etc. So much appreciated the kindness and care shown to me. Thanks to the hotel manager and great staff! However, would suggest the hotel put a stripe or some stylish graphic on the glass doors, so this doesn't happen to another patron!

Great hotel, wonderful visit!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Cindy B

Cindy B--thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you had an overall excellent experience and we hope you will be making your return trip soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

What can I say that hasn't already been covered on the reviews?
We stayed for 5 nights and really can't fault the hotel or it's staff. We were welcomed with excellent service from the moment our cab arrived outside which made life easier after a long haul flight. Check in was smooth and as we were unpacking there was a knock on the door to give us complimentary water and the latest Time Out magazine for what was going on in the city.
The staff were very helpful in printing out tickets for the 9/11 memorial which we had booked on our iPad (free, fast wifi throughout the hotel), making sightseeing recommendations & giving us tips to save us time. Finally booking our cab back to JFK, taking into account busier traffic because it was the day of the St Patricks day parade.
We ate twice in the Parker & Quinn restaurant and couldn't fault the food or the service, likewise at the rooftop bar. The cocktails were dangerously gorgeous!
I would echo previous reviews in that the hotel is trendy without being pretentious & the bed was really comfy. The only (very slight) negatives would be the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room but at least there was a plentiful supply of free coffee in the lobby which certainly set us up for the day. Finally the wardrobe was of a reasonable size but did lack shelf space. Certainly neither of these detracted from the amazing stay & we would definitely look to go back should we return to NYC.

Room Tip: Higher the better (they do supply earplugs)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We look forward to your return visit, Elvister, thank you for your post.