“Loved it!!!”

Ranked #28 of 466 Hotels in New York City
London UK
“Loved it!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Refinery lived up to its high reviews in every area. The rooms are a good size, we had four of us in queen delux, the location is excellent, 2 mins from the Empire State, 5 from Times Square and access to the subway is also very close. There is also a fantastic team there, from the restaurant to the concierge and everyone in between we were always greeted with a hello and friendly smile. The building itself is also great. Everything put together gives the Refinery a certain vibe that makes you feel so comfortable the minute you walk through the door. The perfect place for us in NYC

Room Tip: High up with a view of the Empire State
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Turkeymil
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your review, Turkeymil. We look forward to your visiting us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had no problems during my stay but then nothing stood out for me to agree with many of the top ratings here nor make me want to stay here again. My family of four stayed here for 5 nights during kids' Spring Break. When visiting NYC with family, we normally stay at Sofitel, which is convenient for Broadway but decided to try Refinery based on great reviews here. I had a decent stay and have no personal complaints. For fellow TripAdvisors I will share few thoughts that I hope you will find helpful.

I would best describe Refinery as "Ian Schrager Light" hotel and I do not mean this in derogatory way. Refinery is basically providing a minimalist, hip style boutique hotel service at a lower price in an area that lacks such accommodation. I think it is a smart strategy and think this hotel will continue to do good business.

As others noted I liked the friendly service. The staff here were all genuinely friendly and eager to help. Whatever I needed, they were quick to address them. But, I should note that door men were often too casual: I grew up and worked in NYC well into my 20s so I'm familiar with New Yorkers. But, "hey man" and "hey, how you doin?" greetings from doormen and bell boys seem way too friendly and casual at a hotel. Few times, there were 3 guys at the door so busy chatting away that they did not even open the door for us.

As some of the other reviewers noted, the access to Roof Top bar is strictly controlled. Some have noted that they had to wait 10-15 minutes before being allowed to go up or that they were told the bar was reserved for a private party. During my stay, I did notice some of the female hotel guests being made to wait in the lobby behind the velvet ropes. One time in an elevator I overheard one female hotel guest complain to her companion that night before she and her friend were made to wait over 15 minutes and when they did make it up, the roof bar was more than half empty.
I found all this to be amusing. One of this site's reviewers thought the bar was an independent operation with different ownership and management. It may be so but I personally doubt it.
I suspect that in terms of guests Refinery attracts, the "Ian Schrager Light" strategy is working out well for the roof top bar but perhaps not as envisioned for hotel guests. My friend who works near the area told me that Refinery roof top bar has become the most popular after work drinking place in the area, especially for people in their 20-30s. The hotels guests from what I saw were mainly middle aged (like me) visitors, quite a few families with young children, some young tourists couples and a sprinkle of business people. Now I can clearly imagine some of these business types at Ian Schrager joints like Hudson or Royalton but most were simple, average tourist like me. BTW, I did try Hudson (on business) and Mondrian (on personal visit to NYC), thought Schrager concept to be brilliant but just did not want to pay the price.
My guess is that Refinery location is not conducive to count on enough young and hip room guests year-round but the concept, location not far from Times Square and decent price do attract many tourists. Now, what is the hotel to do when its highly profitable liquor business is doing fantastically well attracting the clients that you covet but the less than hip hotel guests threatens to diminish the cool vibe of the roof top bar? Do you let the middle age tourists or young but clearly not NYC "cool and hip" hotel guests freely roam around the bar and destroy the business? These tourists may never be back to NYC again but bar needs steady and loyal customer base each and every night and these hipsters in NYC will turn against you in a second if they think their favorite watering joint is becoming popular with Ozzie and Harriet.

So I understand the charade hotel goes through every night with velvet ropes, beefy guards manning the elevator reserved only for the bar guests and "private party" routines to protect the hotel's bottom line. And I don't go out drinking when travelling with kids so I wasn't personally affected by all this. But, I will say the whole scene plus overhearing the female guest at the elevator (she seemed in her early 20s and perfectly fine looking but did not appear to be a city girl) turned me off about Refinery.

I need to also mention the construction noise that few others have noted. It's obviously no fault of the hotel but you should be aware that couple of blocks away, a huge office building is being built and I suspect it will go on for at least another year. Should not be an issue for morning person but if you are suffering from a jet lag or late sleeper, unwelcome early morning "wake up call" can be an issue.

In short, I had a decent stay but nothing standing out to recommend it to others when visiting NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Hank072010
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We appreciate your thorough and thoughtful comments, Hank072010. Feedback is important to us as we continue to improve and we will be addressing these details. We hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future for a renewed experience of our customer care.
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had a very pleasant two-night stay here. Great location, comfortable rooms and terrific staff. Unlike others who had noise complaints, our room faced inward (back alley, other buildings) so noise wasn't an issue - mind you we also had no view. Only complaint may have been that the bed was a little on the soft side as we prefer a firmer mattress. Also, while they serve coffee in the lobby until 8:30 am (which was much appreciated), I strongly recommend increasing this til 9:30 am, particularly on weekends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your post, RoverLuke, we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

As a native New Yorker, who frequently returns to visit family, I enjoy staying in Manhattan. The Refinery is a new establishment that is very comfortable with a pleasant and attentive staff. I highly recommend it. In addition the location is perfect, not too close to Times Square, but close enough to walk if you wish to see a show.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BruceFla
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for posting, BruceFla, and for your recommendation. We look forward to your return visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel is well located for business or personal travel and has a great historical and modern vibe. The rooms are well situated and the beds very comfortable. The windows have black out shades which is a huge plus for me. Personally, I really like the mini hotel newspaper that has all of the hotel information included so I don’t need to flip through multiple handouts and books to find the information I need. The staff were wonderful and helpful. A few issues that would keep me from coming back are the glass door leading from the bathroom to the bedroom—it looks great but lets in street light which reflects out in to the room at night. There should be a way to have a shade on the window in the bathroom so this doesn’t happen. Also, I really don’t understand how one can order room service and it arrives as a packaged delivery order (think $50+ of soggy salad, fries, etc.). I specifically asked for a real plate setting and it still arrived with plastic silverware. Finally, there is a nice bar/meeting space right off the lobby but they don’t offer any drink service until 4pm. You can go to the hotel restaurant and carry your drink back to the bar area but there are enough people doing so, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just staff the bar to serve coffee/tea during the day and drinks in the early afternoon. All in all, I liked the décor and it does have a good location but the competition in NYC is tough.

2 Thank Sarah B
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Sarah B--we greatly appreciate your post and are following up on these details. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Less than a year old it has a lot of growing up to do before achieving luxury status . Yes it's a hip hotel ,minimalist ,trendy and friendly helpful staff but it needs to up the service levels especially in the bars and restaurant to provide what the customers want.
I gave them advance notice of my gluten free request and the hotel provided a loaf of bread for my room to take down each day ,however,at first the kitchen would not toast it saying they could not accept liability and suggested they put a toaster in my room and I cook it and bring it down ! Eventually they relented and decided they would toast the bread for me . I understand the restaurant and bars are not owned by the hotel and are a concession .
Our first room was incredibly noisy at night with traffic and people on the street simply because the rooms are single glazed only .
My complaints were dealt with really well by the GM ,and after first wanting to check out after one night ,we were persuaded to stay for the other 3 nights with a quieter room .
We booked an atelier room which despite being the best had to pay an 11 dollar upgrade per night to be higher up . A mistake because on a Saturday night the top floor 13 bar plays music till 2am on a Saturday which we could still here on floor 7 !
Beds ,decor all fine but there is no baths and the shower takes some working out .No big towels though ! A nasty greasy smell pervades throughout the lifts and ground floor from the nearby kitchen which they try to cover up with scented candles.
I stayed here with Small Luxury Hotels and luxury it is not . They only recently joined SLH and I have to ask just what qualifications or inspections are done to ensure they meet the standard .
Oh yes ,we requested a kettle and teas ,coffees etc up came 26 cartons of milk ,30sachets of sugar and two servings of coffee !
Ii was given some gluten free cakes and a bottle of house wine as an apology for the gluten and room issues but felt more could have been done especially with my final bill.

Room Tip: Request a quite room at the back they overlook grotty buildings but you will sleep better !
1 Thank Worldtraveller1953
Thank you for your feedback, Worldtraveller1953. We appreciate your time and thank you for choosing to stay at Refinery Hotel. We are taking into account your experience with our gluten free options as well as with our space while we continue to improve and refine.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Refinery hotel was great by all means.
From pre-arrival service - I booked directly with the hotel and got an Excellent service (thank you Maria felix) - to the welcoming arrival (thank you Mohsen, Basha, Aziz at the reception), to the spacious room, excellent service, beautiful roof bar, hotel location & cleanliness... all was super good... Very highly recommend this hotel! it is by far the best hotel we ever stayed in in NYC.

Room Tip: the street rooms are noiser than inner yard rooms. Well less noisy than other hotels but still it is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
We always enjoy being considered the best, riri25. We are grateful for your post.