“Excellent and Well Located”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #28 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We spent three nights at the Refinery and loved it! Roof top bar with a view of the Empire State Building is a must! Staff was very nice, helpful and the facility was clean, well maintained and eager to help. The room is a bit small considering the price - we had a king bed room that had a terrific shower and bathroom. Storage is a bit tight if you're bringing large suitcases -- we each had a carry-on-suitcase, so it was fine for us. It was near Broadway and many other sites -- cab fare is cheap if you choose not to walk. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We look forward to your return visit, mint427. Thank you for your post.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just in the past year, I've stayed at 5-star rated hotels in London, Florence, Las Vegas, and NYC, and the Refinery Hotel doesn't half meet their standards.

I booked a king room, looking to get a little more space. The first room I got seemed fine until I pulled back the sheets and was dismayed to see black scuff marks and a few hairs. The woman at the front desk was kind enough to switch my room, saying she had upgraded me to a larger room. I responded that I mainly care about the room being clean.

The second room was okay, but it exemplifies my experience with the Refinery Hotel; I find it to be mostly flash and little substance. Hip for the sake of being hip. Looking closely at the room, I note the stains on the sofa and on the curtains, stuff that doesn't work (desk outlets and iPod dock) and doesn't get fixed despite my request, a shower tap with no hot/cold indicators, a sink that doesn't drain well, limited and awkward lighting options. Not to mention the room (207) shares a wall with the gym, so it's not a quiet room.

Further, apart from housekeeping, the lady at the front desk on the first day, and this one nice doorman, getting help or acknowledgment from the staff is hit-or-miss. Today (my last full day) I was clearly looking for a taxi, and the doorman just watched me without any offer of assistance. I also tried to get a pre-dinner drink at the lobby bar and, despite 4 staff members having a chat with one another a few feet away, it wasn't until I approached them that I was told the bar was closed. Even then I got a rather dismissive response to a polite inquiry. (I note that because I travel alone a lot and look quite a bit younger than I am, I often have to overcome a weird prejudice, but not typically at 5-star hotels where a paying guest is a paying guest.)

Ultimately, I don't regret trying a new hotel, but I would not stay at the Refinery Hotel again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Victoria J
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

We value your feedback, Victoria J, and will be thoroughly reviewing the details of your comments as we continue to improve our service. We appreciate your time and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife, teenage daughter and I stayed at The Refinery in April 2014, basing our family vacation there. The hotel has been open for just over a year and still has that crisp ‘new’ feel about it. The refurbishment has been thorough and results in a boutique feel themed around the garment trade. (This is the garment district after all!).
Our room was large, spotlessly clean and even on the 8th floor had a good powerful shower with lots of hot water. If we have one criticism it was the lack of storage/hanger space. There were only a very few (and very small) drawers and the hanging space was no more than 18” in total. We were very much in jeans and‘t’ shirts but if you had a lot of formal wear on hand it would be difficult to store it. This wasn’t through a lack of space in the room; more a case of ‘form over function’. (This may just have been an issue with our room, perhaps given the garment trade theme the hotel could offer some small garment rails for those needing hanging space?).
We only used the restaurant once for breakfast which was OK, but this is New York and there are so many other options available that there’s no need to pay 4* prices. (If you are on a budget there’s a Pret’ on the corner and the Bryant Market across the intersection offers a hot buffet/ omelettes freshly cooked to go).
The hotel is really well located, 10 minute walk from Times Square and even less to Macy’s. Bus and subway connections are close by if you want to venture further.
The staff are really welcoming and everyone seems invested (including our cleaner); ask them about things and it’s ‘we’ not ‘it’ or ‘they’ when talking about the Hotel. I got the feeling that if they could help they would.
A highlight has to be the rooftop bar. Open most evenings and on weekends it offers entertainment (jazz whilst we were there) and stunning views of New York, particularly the Empire State building.
Would we stay again? Yes, absolutely. Would we recommend it to you? Yes so long as you don’t need to hang too much formal wear.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank stan&gill

We look forward to your visiting us again in the future, stan&gill. Thank you for your post.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

If you're coming into the city to see the sights or a show, this is the hotel for you. We were within walking distance of Broadway, shopping and the Empire State Building.

Don't let the name fool you...the hotel was formerly a millenary. The interior design was an historic blend with contemporary edgy.

The staff and service was exemplary. We needed a cab to get to the village, the staff cheerfully went to the end of the block to make sure that we got a ride, on a very busy Saturday evening.

We enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the hotel's Parker Quinn Restaurant.

Despite being in the middle of the city, our room was extremely quiet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recommendation, hedit. We hope you will be making a return visit soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have stayed in a few places in NY but the moment the door is opened as one walks into this hotel a calm peace envelopes and the hustle bustle of the street is a memory. The staff are attentively helpful but not imposing. They really care that one is not left wanting and they make everyone feel like friends rather than a number on an accounts sheet. The room we stayed in was just perfect. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The huge shower was gorgeous. Everything was always immaculate and a day spent walking the city, eating and drinking the odd bottle of wine was always manageable knowing we were returning to this haven.
The furniture links the building's past to the clothing industry and the location right in middle of Manhatten means everything is easily walkable. They do breakfast but if the weather is good one can always grab a take out and go to Bryant park, two blocks up to start your day with the rest of New York.
Perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We are always proud to provide a perfect experience, Rich_d_Lovely. Thank you for your post--we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

It was our first visit to New York city and as everybody knows, there is plenty of hotel to choose from. After several hours of research on the internet, we chose the Refinery Hotel and it was the begining of a wonderful experience. The location is perfect, it's close to everything you want to see around Time Square. The hotel staff is incredible, We were greated by Harvey, I have rarely seen somebody so glad and happy to help you. The check-in went smooth. We really liked the industrial style of the hotel. Our room was spotless and good sized. The only thing that could be better is the room to store your belongings. You have to try the rooftop bar, the drinks are amazing and the ambiance is great.

A thing we really liked, as we are french speaking, is that there was always somebody trying to speak to ous in french when we entered the hotel. It is an attention that we apreciated even if our english is more than okay.

We will definetely return to this hotel on our next vacation in New York City.

2  Thank jpcliche
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, jpcliche, and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The is a busy buzzy boutique hotel. The welcome is overwhelming, the staff are both courteous and extremely helpful. You are surrounded by all things industrial and overall it is quite a manly environment but don't let this put the ladies off. They have an amazing cocktail bar on the roof with magnificent views of the Empire State Building. The diner attached to the hotel is great for breakfasts, snacks, dinner and drinks. Again staff could not be more helpful. It is not the cheapest place in town but it is perfectly placed and it has everything you need. As always a kettle would not go a miss for when you are knackered and just need some time out from all the big apple has to offer.

Room Tip: Lively to the front and quiet to,the back