“An Outstanding Hotel”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My life partner and me came to New York for our wedding, and chose carefully the hotel we stayed in, based on TripAdvisor reviews. We chose well.

The hotel is just great! The room, although a bit small (25 sqm), is very comfortable. The bed is a king-size excellent bed and the shower/restroom are very good as well.

The staff is professional, helpful and friendly. Any inquiry is answered with a smile and a genuine willingness to assist.

We wrote in advance that we arrive in order to get married. On our marriage day the hotel's staff surprised us with a huge cake, bought at the Magnolia bakery, and a bottle of wine. It was a warm and kind gesture.

All in all, I have only good things to say on that hotel and will recommend it to all my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ophir G
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post, Ophir G, and for your recommendation. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Refinery Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just wandered into the Refinery to check it out. The reviews are spot on. New, clean, hip with great energy from the hard working staff. Shout out to Jimmy, the bartender at Parker Quinn and Kristen, the hostess. Overall first impression....impressed!! Looking forward to getting back there soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill D

Jill D--thank you for your review. We, too, look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I don't understand why this hotel get such good reviews. I have to double check but I believe it is also part of the small luxury hotel which I usually quite trust but this time, it's ridiculous. Let's start with the room. It's lofty, not my style. It looks like you are moving into your new apartment and in the mean time you have to have some second hand furniture from a crappy garage sale. The room has no charm, zero ambience and bare. There's no luggage racks to put your luggage on so I had to use both sofa and chair. There were no slippers so you need to ask. Yeah they try very hard with the Le labo toiletries and then a frette rope but that's where their attempt of comfort stops. The bathroom is largish, the shower is huge but there is no place for a woman to put her makeup and cosmetics. There's only the sink. The shower is weak so no nice hot shower and they give you a dryer that would take you an hour to dry your hair. But here comes the best part, I order room service and guess what, it comes in a take out bag with plastic forks and knives with a paper cup of hot water. How very classy!!!! I almost fainted, I am not quite sure if it was because of hunger as the room service took 45 mins or it just sealed the deal for me. I was genuinely disgusted. How dare them!!! I have half a roll of toilet paper, there was no extra. No turn down service either. I have never stayed at motels but I would imagine that's what it feels like. Do yourself a favour, choose another hotel. And this is just my first day, I don't know what I should do with the rest of my ten day stay!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
17  Thank rubyyao
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just returned following a 4 night stay at the refinery hotel in NYC. This hotel was an excellent choice from the service, location and rooms. The hotel staff were very helpful and couldn't do more to welcome us on our trip, especially aziz at the front door.
The hotel was in a central location 2 blocks from macys and just off fifth avenue and all the main shops.
The rooms were great comfortable we had one standard room which was perfect for 2 of us, we didn't spend much time in the room but it was roomy and the bathroom was big with a great walk in shower. The other room we upgraded as we had 4 in the room and it was great big airy and a corner room so it had lots of space and a huge bathroom.
We ate one night at the restaurant downstairs which was really nice and again the staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough for us.
A great benefit to this hotel is a cool and trendy roof top bar overlooking the Empire State Building, they had music and a DJ most nights and was great to have if we were too tired from sightseeing to have a few cocktails and relax (or dance!!)
Overall a great place to stay to see this fabulous city i would definitely recommend

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wirral_MerseysideVic
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, Wirral_MerseysideVic. Thank you for your post.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Opted for this hotel for our first visit to NYC after researching TripAdvisor.......and we were not disappointed. Slick check in, good sized and well appointed rooms, very helpful and friendly staff, great support from the concierge team beforehand in organising bookings and the Bell team as helpful as you would expect, particularly Patrick in flagging down cabs in what seemed like nano seconds. In the centre of town no more than 10 mins from Times Square, we expected the location to be noisy.....but were very pleasantly surprised at how quiet the hotel was.
A couple of small issues caused a minor blot on the stay but do not influence the rating. Firstly, the Concierge seemed bizarrely unable to organise delivery of a newspaper. More important however relates to the limo transfer from the airport which we arranged through the Concierge. The cost was agreed but on checking out, we had been charged an additional excess waiting fee due to the limo arriving at the airport as the flight touched down!!! With transit times through Immigration being in excess of one hour, we were always going to exceed the period of grace of 45 mins alloted by the limo company. This matter was however subsequently resolved to our satisfaction by the hotel's Ops Director but if you opt for this service, it would be wise to confirm the price and whether excess charge may apply.

In summary, if asked if I would use this hotel again, my answer would be.....absolutely !!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We look forward to your next stay with us, jimaguilon, and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel has a very cool vibe and very comfortable rooms. The rooms are among the most spacious I have stayed in in NYC. The staff was all very helpful and pleasant - particularly Aziz at the front door. He remembered my name every time I returned and was so pleasant and helpful. The hotel is a little out of the way from most of the places we ended up going to, so we walked a lot and sometimes had to take cabs. Neither of these were a problem, except that we had to build in a little more time. I would stay again though. We ate at Parker & Quinn the night we arrived and that was very good as well. It did not have the feel of a hotel restaurant and had a very creative cocktail menu.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank emergencygetaway

Thank you for your post, emergencygetaway. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here on the return leg of a 3 week trip to New York state. Great hotel, with great staff and a nice feeling around the place. Yes the reviews that state that the lobby is small are true and yes the rooms are on the small side; but in all honesty who spends their stay in the hotel lobby and the rooms are a fair size for new york. They are well decorated with a very unique style. They were attentive to the fact that it was my Birthday (which a 5* hotel down the road had neglected even after being reminded again and again) and for the location I couldn't think of a better hotel in the area. A stroll from Bryant park, Time Square, metro stations and much much more. The roof bar has a great view of the Empire State, if a little pricy but you'd be hard pushed to find a better view of it.

Room Tip: Maybe upgrade the room if you want a little more space.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your review, Ruairi73, and hope you will be staying with us again in the future.