“Brilliant hotel in an ideal location, with excellent customer service.”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #27 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Brilliant hotel in an ideal location, with excellent customer service.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights for my 2 cousins big birthday, they flew over from Scotland and I flew up from Houston. We had a ball and Patrick the doorman was very helpful. Thoroughly recommend, an ideal location with a rooftop bar.

• Stayed May 2014
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Rosiemummy, thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Caldwell
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed 1 night for a wedding. Great service from check-in thru check- out. Awesome view from rooftop bar/ lounge. We had a room on the 11 th floor...great room, comfortable beds, not noisy. Some people had rooms on 3 rd floor and complained about the noise from a street cleaner. I definitely would recommend this boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Request high floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, RhyoungNorthCaldwell, and hope you will be visiting us again in the future.
Switzerland
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent 4 nights here and the overall experience was really great. The location is perfect for getting every where we needed during our stay. Rooftop bar is an excellent addition, but would be good if there was easier access to it for the guests. Private events there mean no access for guests.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your thoughtful review, Traveller197507. We hope you will visiting us again in the future.
Paris, France
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Really enjoyed my one-night stay at The Refinery. Exceptionally attentive, helpful staff, from the doorman, to the desk, to room service. Surprisingly large room, very comfortable. Nice touch that you get a call shortly after checking in to be sure everything's OK and before you leave to see if you'll need anything. Didn't visit the lobby bar, but it looked lively and inviting. Liked the decor, information about the building's garment district history. Easy walk to Penn Station and theater district.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your thoughtful review, parismick, and we hope to see you again here with us soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Arrived here early morning and staff was kind enough to let me check-in. A very slick hotel in NYC but not too chic that it hurts; you know the kind. Had opted for a room of the Chrysler (upgrade needed) but it didn't materialise. Was very happy, however, with the industrial chic view (water tank and roof-top garden view, anyone?) with a sliver of Times Square from the other window. Room was generous for NYC and quiet, thank God. Décor was tasteful with millinery accents true to its history. 3 best points of Refinery: (1) Excellent warm service from everyone we met - check-in to check-out (2) Fantastic midtown location; I walked everywhere. Fifth Avenue, Bryant Park etc. The New Yorker friend who was with me kept raving about how well-located (and appointed) it was! (3) Rooftop bar with the twinkling view of the Chrysler Building! Had heard of the weekend queues and mean door guards (guests are not subject to the same treatment - I got in with slippers [albeit Coach]) no questions asked. Crowd? A great mix of urbane trendies, middle-aged out-of-towners (I'll admit it) and even some stylish mid-fifties types. Sipping cocktails on my last night in the city was a lovely memory. Till my next 20-hour flight, NYC!

Have I also said, you really can't beat the free coffee at my 7 a.m. check-out! My brain cells and weary body thanked you all the way to the airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Doncaster for your kind words! We look forward to welcoming you on your next stop-over in NYC!
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before moving to the Mandarin Oriental for 2 nights (see separate review). We loved this trendy hotel with it's up beat atmosphere. When we arrived it was very busy in the reception area as there was a private event on at The Refinery Rooftop and people were milling about before making their way upstairs. We knew about the bar being closed prior to our stay and nearly booked elsewhere as I was annoyed about this however we decided to keep our reservation and we were glad we did. The first night we were in a lovely spacious room on floor 2 overlooking the main street but it was extremely noisy so we asked to moved for our second night which the receptionist arranged with no problem. Both rooms were spotlessly clean, very modern, light and bright . All the reception staff we encountered were helpful and friendly.....especially the Manager Albert. We had a meal and cocktails in Parker and Quinn which is attached to the hotel on the first night as we were too tired after our flight to venture too far. It was good basic food and the cocktails were lovely but strong !! We went to The Refinery Rooftop on our second night. It was very busy and noisy but had a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel as those facing the main street are extremely noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gellroland
Thank you for your review harveybillingham! We are elated you decided to give us a try and appreciate the kind feedback of our staff. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Refinery in May and paid a lot of money-more than I have for other, better hotels. The main problem with my room was that there was a lot of street noise-hence the reason they give you ear plugs! I didn't have time to complain and switch rooms because I was so busy trying to get all of my sightseeing in. But, the reception person saw that I had paid $600 for the room, and she knowingly placed me in a street side room! I guess these people receive no training on helping their guests have a comfortable stay. Maybe the manager should stay in a street side room and see if he/she can get any sleep! What about soundproofing the rooms?

If this was a luxury hotel, I didn't see it. They had some coffee in the lobby, but no tea or snacks-and they are a new hotel. I guess they haven't seen that other new hotels have complimentary breakfast, snacks, and wine and cheese to greet their guests. I also never saw a concierge. When I inquired about the Gotham West Market, none of the staff had heard of it.

Another problem with this hotel, you can't really take the stairs. You can go down them but you can't go up them, because you would have to go through a staff-only area-is this a code violation?

With so many choices in New York, I don't know why anyone would stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family