“perfect midtown hotel”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is the best option for midtown. Great hotel all around, nice rooms, super comfortable beds, nice staff, always helpful and friendly. Rooftop is a plus. Restaurant downstairs is solid. Close to Penn station, right near Bryant Park and Times Square.

Room Tip: interior rooms for quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

We appreciate your thoughtful review, jeffnwoody. We hope you will be visiting us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,355)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our stay in this hotel was perfect. From the room to the very professional and warm staff.
The location of the hotel is also very good, central and with close access to the metro.
The rooftop bar is also a must do! with the view on the Empire State Building.
We will for sure come back!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for kind words and recommendation, AureliaAndre. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I originally stayed at the Nomad for my trip to NY. My flight was cancelled, so I stayed another night at The Refinery.

The hotel seems to be stashed away, but once inside feels airy (albeit a little narrow).
The staff is extremely attentive.

While the Nomad felt refined and more like a "Downtown Abbey" feel, the Refinery had more of a loft vibe. The rooms were cleverly laid out and featured hardwood floors, huge ceilings, and a well-appointed bathroom with a walk-in shower.

The room was a little louder, because of street noise than at the Nomad, but definitely quieter than what I had experienced in December at the Affinia Manhattan (right by Macy's and Penn Station).

I definitely liked both hotels, but feel like The Refinery caters to a younger (30 and under) or more masculine group. The Nomad is definitely more geared towards women, especially single travelers and anyone who wants a quieter experience.

You'll also want to be aware that the mini bar is not in a designated area, but on the desk. Included in the mini bar was a charger. This could confuse people who do not normally travel and think these were included in the room. Most mini bars seem to be directly by a refrigerator and with very clear markings. This seemed to be more like a nice setup and the price sheet was towards the back and not as visible. Very small, nitpicky thing, but just something to be aware of if you book for someone else.

The restaurant had excellent food as well, but be prepared for quite a bit of noise. No one talks, but shouts. Spacing is crowded and I had 4 guys literally leaning against and resting on my table. If you want a nice, quiet place to unwind and eat at the hotel, your only real option is your room.

No doubt-- It's a fun place to hang out, but would be impossible to conduct a professional business dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the elevators (something I never do). My room was off on its own by a servi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We are delighted you came upon us AlexGrace. Thank you for taking the time to post. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Refinery Hotel is a delightful, charming and very quiet hotel in Midtown. As soon as you arrive, you'll be greeted by eager young staff, genuinely interested in servicing your needs, immediate or otherwise. The hotel staff are nice, I mean really nice. The lobby area is cozy, warm, and inviting, appointed with dark leather sofas, chandeliers and comfortable rugs. The interior is an interesting combination of classic elements and industrial modern. The hotel art an furnishings are quite interesting and very soothing. The brand is timeless, an homage to the hat factory that occupied the same location in the '30's and before. Think Humphrey Bogart meets Lauren Bacall and you'll get an idea of the mood this hotel evokes. The walls in the lobby are rich dark mahogany and the floors are white marble. When you're in the lobby, you'll feel like you've been transported back in time to the '30's or 40's, in a world that we image in our collective consciences, but one that probably never actually existed outside of film noir movies. The rooms are really comfortable. The bed was so comfortable I thought that I was laying in a cloud. There was nearly no street sounds in the room, which is a really unusual and highly pleasurable experience in New York. My room was very organized and tidy, full of luxury touches. The shower was quite spacious for any shower, much less a shower in a New York hotel, which are customarily so small you can barely squeeze inside the sardine can.
I have a few criticisms however. First, while responsive the staff is a bit young and green. If you're looking for seasoned professional service, you might be better off at the Mark or similar properties. But consider this is a relatively new hotel, so they don't yet have the years of operational experience to hone those finer points of service. Also, this hotel is really, really expensive. I suppose that comes with the territory when you're staying in New York City. Nevertheless, it's really painful to pay such a hefty fare for the privilege of taking a thousand winks in a safe place. And I still don't under Also, the hotel restaurant is just average. I had breakfast there two mornings, and I could have had the same food at just about any diner, tasteless omelette and wheat toast, bland coffee, and ho hum service. Also, the room service policy is peculiar. The food is delivered in to go boxes in a bag. It costs as much as room service in other hotels, which is delivered in trays with silver. The hotel should change this policy and deliver room service the "old-fashioned way," consistent with its branding. The Refinery provided one of the most delightful and quiet hotel stays I've ever had in New York City (or anywhere else for that matter), and I recommend it to anyone looking for a luxury experience in Manhattan.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are quitter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel F
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post, Daniel F. It’s always exciting when our guests appreciate the homage we have to the history of our building.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel has set a new standard: from my first impression to checkout the stay was flawless. The service and standard of the staff is a benchmark. I stay in NY once or twice a month; this is the first time that I left on a first name basis with staff from reception to all of the restaurants. Everyone is passionate that your time spent in their care is as good as can be. The rooms are beautifully detailed and comfortable. They are large, comfortable and quiet. I have returned 3 times and never been disappointed. You will be delighted with this hotel.

Room Tip: You will get fewer windows with an internal room but no less space...and it will be a little quieter...
1  Thank MannixJohnson

MannixJohnson, we are honored that Refinery Hotel has become your favorite place to stay in Midtown NYC! Thank you for your kind words about our staff and service. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed one night, on a Friday night, to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary.
We are definitely coming back soon!! The front desk staff are professional and warm. Hannah, in particular, made our stay memorable and special. Hannah was extremely accommodating when I asked for a quieter room on the second floor. No questions asked, she helped us out immediately.
The bed was no ordinary hotel bed; it is luxury. The room is five star and we cannot wait to come back! June 20th, 2014.

Room Tip: Room 218 faces the street and is noisy. Room 210 is quiet and faces the courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Erin V, we are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your anniversary at Refinery Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in June.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Refinery Hotel so far exceeded my expectations that I have sworn to never stay anywhere else when traveling to NYC! I was there with my daughter, sister and niece bridal dress shopping for the weekend. I upgraded upon arrival to a larger room for $30 extra dollars a day and it was SO worth it! Tons of room in our double bed room - beautiful dark hardwood floors, crisp white bedding and walls punctuated with modern, colorful art was the perfect combination of
"refinement." The bathroom was spacious - old school black and white tile, black vanity and large shower combined to add to the character of the hotel.
The two best attributes of this place??? First, the hotel staff's incredible demeanor - we LOVED Harvey!!!! He was upbeat and always accommodating! The front desk was always pleasant - they really had fun with us. Second, the Rooftop bar was AMAZING! Really fun place ANY time of the day! With the Empire State Building as your backdrop, you can eat and drink your way to a great time whenever. Bottom line - don't look elsewhere for a hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stacey H

Stacey H, your thoughtful words about our staff and our rooftop means a lot to us. We hope to see you again in the future.