“One of the best you can get in NYC, if not the best.”
Review of Refinery Hotel

Refinery Hotel
Ranked #29 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Ok - so this is not a Mandarin Oriental overlooking the Central Park, but for its price range, it is the best hotel you can stay in Manhattan by a nautical mile. Even if money was not an issue, I still think I would choose Refinery Hotel over any other in Manhattan.

Rooms: Trendy, nicely designed rooms that are larger than NYC average. Comfy beds and very good attention to detail in room design.

People: Very very helpful, always smiling and willing to make your stay enjoyable.

I stayed on the top floor on the other side of their famous rooftop bar, so I did not hear any noise from the bar or the street.

Pro's: Decor, cleanliness, staff, "feeling", beds, aircon, location, technology.

Very minor con:
-Room doors are like a safe doors, good for security but they make a BIG noise when you close them.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less noise coming from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

We very much appreciate your review and recommendation, Ozgur U. We hope you will come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,256)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I took my boyfriend to Refinery Hotel on August 22nd for one night as a special anniversay treat. It was by far, the best hotel I have ever stayed at! The staff was so sweet (especially the lovely young woman working at the front desk Friday and Saturday night)! Our room was perfect - the most comfortable bed! The mini bar was well stocked - the rooftop bar was gorgeous (a little noisy) - I have already made plans to return for a quick holiday getaway in December. This is my new go-to for NYC.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor in a corner room and it was great - no noise issues from bar etc. We did...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adksgirl
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for naming us the best, adksgirl! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in December.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Refinery Hotel is a short drive from the Lincoln Tunnel and easy to access. The service is wonderful and the staff are kind and welcoming. The bellhop, I want to say his name is Bosha, remembered our family from our first visit and made us feel right at home.

The rooms are always neat and cleanly, although minor fix-ups may be helpful down the road. (Ex. Bathroom door wouldn't fully close)

While the rooms do not escape the noises from outside, one should remember that New York is called the City That Never Sleeps for a reason! You will get rooms like that in any NYC hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel and we will make sure to stay here next time we visit the city!

• Stayed: August 2014

We love our repeat guests Horsegirl187! Thank you for your review and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the city.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was soooo excited about staying at The Refinery! I've been to the rooftop many times, love the decor and design. Also, a five star rating on Trip, plus ranked #15! I'm a tough critic though, and an extremely experienced hotel afficionado. Firstly, I will definitely give the staff 5 stars-from my check in, and throughout my stay, I found the staff to be extremely courteous, accommodating, and attentive! Bravo to every staff member I encountered. The hotel itself, facility, and common spaces-definitely four stars! Very well maintained, nice decor, great design. The most disappointing factor-the rooms!? Small, cold, functional, with little charm. Also, hotel construction going on across the street, and apparently, no room is exempt! (I tried to move). Requesting, as I always do, a high floor, quiet room, I was placed on the floor below the rooftop action, with my window next to hotel construction, which went from 7a-8p. I know I'm not supposed to be in the room, but recovering from a non-contagious virus, I was in the room more than usual! The noise and the cold, uncharming room, definitely a downgrade!
The restaurant I liked, room service, nice, but if you don't like the rooms, and you can't sleep, its definitely a mixed bag-

Room Tip: No room is exempt from construction noise, apparently!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank keentraveler30

Thank you for taking the time to post, keentraveler30. We are happy that you found our staff courteous, accommodating, and attentive. We are so sorry to hear about the noise you experienced. Your comments are very helpful as we continue to improve, we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

A nicely redone historic hotel close to the theatre district. The chic decor was surpassed by an uncharacteristic friendliness not usually found among people of NYC. They immediately offered a glass of wine as we finished check in. Each staff person was zealous in assisting us with bags, cabs, the rooftop club ( too noisy for us but not for the 20 something's). We will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review, DowntownDame and thank you for recognizing our staff's fantastic work. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here with my husband for two nights; the rooms were chic with incredibly comfortable beds and a great bathroom. However, the noise was unbearable. The windows must not be insulated and it was like the street noise was right in the room. Thankfully we were able to switch to an interior room for the second night and had a much better sleep as it was very quiet. I also did not love the lobby, or lack of one and felt the staff was not that friendly, it is as though they are trying too hard to be hip. We also tried to sit at the rooftop bar but did not have a reservation, not ideal. Overall, we liked the Refinery but did not love it.

Room Tip: Interior room!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmhc

We appreciate your feedback, jmhc, and will be reviewing these details with our team as we continue to refine and improve our service. We are truly sorry for any disruption you had during your stay and hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The staff, the location and the ample rooms and comfortable beds are the best in town. We just got home after a 4 weeks vacation that started in New York. We had such a memorable time in the Refinery and we want to thank all the staff for our pleasant stay in the city!!
Special thanks for Chris and Basha!!
We would recommend this hotel to all our friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank anitahoogendoorn
R_Taormina, General Manager at Refinery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

You are very welcome VanderHeijden! Thank you for recognizing our teams hard work, we are always happy to provide our guests with a memorable stay in the city.