“Best chocolate in the U.S.”

L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolates
Ranked #109 of 594 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Price range: US$2 - US$60
Good for: Business meetings
Neighbourhood: SoHo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I love chocolate! Everywhere I travel I seek out the best chocolate shops and Europe is hard to beat. However NYC has a few that are serious contenders. The best (in my opinion) is LA Burdicks. The chocolates have that melt in your mouth texture and serious flavor that you find across the pond. Don't let the price deter you, the boxes are small but packed so you do get more than you think. 2nd favorite chocolate shop is Jacques Torres, they are great too but all the same shape and do not have the intensity of flavor.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I came here for a post-lunch treat and loved that you can get anything from one chocolate, to a great pastry, to wonderful hot or iced chocolate. To top it off, it's really cute inside and you can sit down - which isn't possible in most chocolate shops. We had a delicious milk iced chocolate and a pastry. They were both really good - and we know our chocolate shops. Not inexpensive (good chocolate isn't), but worth it!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Actually I'm tempted to call it the best hot chocolate in the world. Where else do you get almost a dozen hot chocolate choices? Some types are so thick the spoon practically stands up in our mug.

Don't worry if it's summer, they have iced hot chocolate which is amazing.

Don't miss out on the desserts the hazelnut cake, the flourless torte are must haves. If you are a fruit person go for the lemon bars, apple tart,. Also their chocolate mice, ghosts, and penguins are great novelty items to bring back as a gift.

The only downside is that there aren't that many tables, so space is tight on peak hours.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I think this place has the best chocolates I've had in the city. I do love Teuscher champagne truffles and the chocolates at La Maison du Chocolat, but I think this place has the best chocolates overall. Every piece I had was nearly perfectly flavored. The prices are more reasonable too. Pick up a half pound assortment and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were looking for something sweet after dinner at Gramercy Tavern. We went to a bakery recommended by trip advoior but it was closed. As we stood there wondering where to go, a fantastic city native suggested Burdicks. (who says New Yorkers aren't nice??) We headed there and got a quaint table, some hot chocolate and desserts to split. The hot chocolate was unbelievable!!! Coffee was great and the desserts were delicious. Highly recommend.