“Fifteen minutes to Time Square”

Comfort Inn Midtown West
Ranked #331 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location and price. The hotel being brand new was a big plus. The rooms are small, typical for New York, but very clean. Not really enough space for eating in your, so plan accordingly. Sal's Pizza is a block away, a little north on 10th Ave, very small but really good. Sombrero on 48th near 8th is also good if you're looking for Mexican.

The hotel staff was very friendly, and there was fresh coffee at the front desk every time I walked by. Also an occasion cookie. The lobby is fairly small so the free breakfast is a bit crazy. I find this to be typical of Choice properties, but this is a little more crowded than most.

We had to wait on the elevator a couple of times, but the hotel has a very small footprint, about 10 rooms per floor, so there really isn't room for two. It is fairly noisy, as stated in other reviews, but not unbearable. Ice and vending on the bottom floor marked "C" (cellar?)

We were here to shop in Times Square and visit Rockefeller Plaza, which is only a mile away. This hotel was perfect for doing both. The neighborhood is mostly apartments, with small businesses to the west. We felt safe walking the streets, even at night. Hell's Kitchen Park is a block east of the hotel, and very similar to the one in the movie, Daredevil. Nice place for the kids to blow off a little steam.

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to New York, and this hotel was a big part of it. We'll be back on our next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevator
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chuck_Haaker

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Clean updated room , maybe the best use of space in a hotel room ever . Staff friendly .
Exercise facility is in the holiday inn express down the block , inconvenient for my desire to get an early am workout while partner snoozes.
A bit of a walk to sights .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel middle of November 2013 the staff were very nice and helpful and the hotel was very clean.
We were surprised how nice our room was maybe a bit on the small side but not a problem to us we had everything we needed very clean comfy bed. the Breakfast was good and more than we expected would certainly recommend this hotel and we would stay here again if we are ever in New York another plus was it was so near all the places you want to visit which are in walking distance very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel was not bothered by any noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sadieLincoln
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I would like to start off by saying that I do understand that hotels in New York are both expensive and often nothing to write home about. When comparing the price and location of Comfort Inn Midtown West to other hotels, I still believe that it is a good deal. That being said – with some simple improvements, this hotel could be a lot better…

The rooms are small-ish, but perfectly adequate. After all, you do not go to NY to sit and stare at the wall. Everything seemed new and modern, and I appreciated the coffee and tea making facilities. On the other hand, the design makes the room feel somewhat crowded. There is no closet space, but lots of extra amnesties like an ice bucket, big “dishes” under things, an ironing board and an air conditioning/heat thing that occupies half of the room. But the only thing I would really complain about was the fact that my room was not all that clean when I arrived, and not much better the next day. It is not enough to fold the toilet paper and do the bed…

You cannot hear much from the street below (but I was on the 9th floor), but even if there was a marching band there, the noise would drown from the sound of the elevator. I mean – what the hell? During my first night I barely slept; the elevator “plinged” time after time after time. I promise you; you have never heard an elevator like this in your life. I had a room fairly close to it, but I am sure you could hear it in all the rooms. It was also only one elevator for nine floors, so it is safe to say that it was busy…

When I arrived in the evening, the receptionist (and the guy lurking around in the reception) were both very friendly and professional. The morning shift was somewhat different. During breakfast two of the receptionist (or one was a cleaning lady?) kept talking and laughing loudly about everything from “my friend’s boyfriend, ya’ know?” to “the freakin’ dog”. And since you eat your breakfast IN the reception, this seemed very unprofessional. Or… I quite enjoyed the story about the cheating boyfriend, but I am not sure all the other guests did. We ended up exchanging odd looks, and sniggering behind our bagels. When I asked for some help finding things on the map, I was told that New Yorkers would take a taxi. Right. But I like to walk.

Breakfast was included in the price, but very basic. But I made a good breakfast out of waffles, a yoghurt and some coffee. You eat in the reception, and as other guests have written in reviews – there are about five tables for all the guests. You better time your breakfast right! I went down early in the morning, and was lucky.

There is free coffee and tea in the reception, and you can get ice from the basement. A big plus for this! The location is good as well. It took me around 20 minutes to walk to Times Square, and about 10 – 15 minutes to walk to Food Imporium. It is located between 48th and 49th street, on 8th avenue. It is very expensive though. If all you want is water and snacks, I would just go to one of the Delis.

I would recommend this hotel, as it still was a good deal. BUT – be sure to ask for a room as far away from the elevator as possible! And I do hope that the manager talks to both cleaning personnel and the receptionists. I mean – I expect professional employees and a clean place even at the cheapest hostels…

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TheSuitcase
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel from November 6 to November 16 of 2013. The hotel is modern, everything is brand new and the room where my husband and I stayed was very clean. The bed linen and bathroom was always smelling good and it was changed everyday. The breakfast is simple which served us very well and it was included in the daily rate of the hotel. This hotel is very practice and it is destinated to people who is not looking for luxury and room services. Lunch and Dinner at the hotel only by delivery. As It was in our budget eating out every day, this was not a problem for us, but I suggested them the possibility of having a microwave for the custumers. For sure next year I will be returning to this hotel. Just to complement the hotel staff attended us very well, they were all very kind with us.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cllana
Reviewed 18 November 2013

No nonsense hotel primarily. I would recommend it more for business travellers, but lots of families were also seen there.
In a business trip, I along with my colleagues checked in there for 5 days, we extended our stay for 5 more days as we liked the hotel.
3 good things of the hotel that I would like to mention are breakfast with decent spread, uninterrupted hot water in the bathroom with a tub and free wifi. Location wise, the hotel is very close (you may feel like walking) to most of tourist destinations and office areas in Manhattan. Bed was good and comfortable and bed spread was without strains.
Downside, the room does not have a locker, not even a small wardrobe to keep your staff, that's bit uncomfortable. And like all hotels in Manhattan, drinking water is absent in the room and no water dispenser in the floor too. I believe when you put your heater on in your room, we need water frequently to moist our throat (this could be person specific problem, but I choose to mention.)
Otherwise all are good. Staffs are friendly and accommodating. Over all cleanliness is mentionable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank anandabh24
Reviewed 16 November 2013

In the last 3 months I have stayed at this property several times for business, sometimes up to a week at a time. Staff is smart, warm and very resourceful and attentive: Joanna, Marianna, Roberto, Loida Juan and Brandon. Rooms are perfect size, clean and WiFi works extremely well. If you're lucky you can even have a room with a bit of a view of the Hudson River and NYC skyline. Location is accessible to all of subways, Ferrys and buses and of course Broadway and great restaurants. Breakfast is amazing and there is always coffee, tea and a healthy snack out that you can nibble on. The lobby is warm and inviting. Kudos to GM Juan Soto on managing a great staff and property.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business