“Excellent service”

Ranked #320 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Timmins, Canada
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had booked this room as part of a Porter Airlines weekend get away to New York.

We found the check in to be friendly and efficient. The warm cookies and hot coffee were appreciated. We found the room to be small but very clean. We were expecting a small room - after all it's New York, we came for the sites, not a room to play tennis in! :)

The area is some what out of the way, but very pleasant. Cabs can be hailed after about a 2 minute walk on 11th ave, the subway station is about a 10 minute walk away. There is a men's shelter on the other side of the street, but they keep to themselves. We walked past a few times a day, and never got anything more than a "hello". As one cabby told us, that's New York, you have million dollar condos, hotels, and a Salvation Army all on the same block.

The breakfast was great, and free. Tables were at a premium, but another couple invited us to join them. Sausage, eggs, toast, cereals, etc... Lots of coffee, all day. The breakfast staff was very helpful, keeping the food replenished, and making small talk.

Over all the hotel was a great experience and I'd highly recommend it for people who are ok staying slightly off the beaten path.

Room Tip: We faced the street side - it was good people watching.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rob1975Ont

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The value for a midtown hotel is good. The wait staff are excellent and the try to accommodate you with everything. The hot breakfast is nice but simple and will save you some money by not eatingelsewhere.

The problem is the room size. There is more room on a cruise ship standard room than in these with two beds. I went with my wife and two kids and four pieces of luggage. There is no storage space or closet space. The beds are small and I mean narrow and short. At 5'10" my toes were over the edge with my head at the headboard.

The coffee maker sat on the window sill because there was no where for it.

The closest subway was a half mile away and with kids that a hike already considering how much you walk in Manhattan. The bus stop isn't to far, 3 blocks, but that route still is several blocks from a metro stop.

Overall great for a couple going to see the city, with kids its a bit more difficult.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Motorman75
Jsoto5128, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I do agree that sometimes our rooms can be a little tight when their are 4 people in the room with luggage. Even so, I'm happy to hear that the staff provided great service to you and your family. Thank you again for your review and I hope you consider staying with us again in the future!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was a great find during the busy Super Bowl week in NY. I was there for Super Bowl festivities. It was just 2 blocks away from the Bud Light Hotel on Pier 88, which was where several parties were held. I went to The Bethenny Show and was able to walk because it wasn't that far even though it was cold. The front desk agent Loida gave above and beyond service! Every inch of the hotel that I saw was well kept and clean. The pics on the website are as advertised. I was on the 8th floor with a good view of the city buildings and partial of the river. There was Free internet in the room, free hot breakfast, and coffee available all day. The vending machine had affordable drinks. I was pleased with my stay and will return.

Room Tip: My king size bed was more than comfortable. I liked my city view. The room was typical NY size so it...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M B
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words! I truly appreciate it! I am very proud of my team and I'm so happy to see you had a great stay with us. Hopefully if your travels bring you back to NYC, you'll stay with us again. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Awesome hotel with pleasant experience. Breakfast was at great level and the staff service was friendly and awesome. They have us a very nice room with a view. Will definitely come back for sure.

This hotel is brand newly built as well. I you want to experience the new hotel, stay at this one.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Simon S
Thank you so much for the great review! It's great to see you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the view from your room. Let us know when you will be back! We would love to have you again as our guest!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Love it. Checked in on Tuesday before Christmas and stayed until New Years Eve day. Had a room on the 9th floor on the front of the hotel. I could see the Hudson River out my window! All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good and Christine is the breakfast attendent and she is amazing. I put out the no service tag since it was only me and I was staying for the week. Didn't need the sheets changed. However, they did check in with me to empty the trash and give fresh towels. It was a good deal. Just out of all the busyness. Two blocks to most of the shows and subway.

Room Tip: I was traveling alone and a woman, but felt very safe walking on the street at night to the shows...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lisa K
Ms. Lisa,

Thank you for staying with us! Your great stay experience warms my heart. We pride ourselves on the great service we give, which sets us apart from other Comfort Inn's in the city. Thank you again for your wonderful review and I hope to meet you in the future! Have an amazing day!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here in Jan 14, with my 2 daughters, (both adults) our first such trip together without the men. Room was very clean, shower was great but the room was small with not much hanging space for clothes, It left little room to move about. Only other comment was the heater it was very noisy, enough to keep you awake, but when we turned it off the room soon got very cold so we had to turn it on again. Was pleasantly surprised with the free breakfast it was very good, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, toast, muffins, waffles, cakes, juice, tea & coffee, egg, bacon/sausage etc. & it was replenished regularly. Location for us was a little bit far out, it was 2 blocks to the nearest metro, but we really liked the Hells Kitchen area would stay there again but the Comfort Inn is on 10th, W48th maybe just a couple of blocks in, 8th or so, would be better. 9th Avenue was great for cafes, restaurants & was n't far. We had a guided tour one day & the Guide told us that 9th Ave was where the real New Yorkers went to eat.
Only complaint I have about the Hotel was the last day when we checked out, we were n't flying home until 7pm & we were told that the hotel had no storage left for our cases, it was first come, first served. We were horrified how could we trek around NY all day with our cases in tow & never had this happened before. We persisted & eventually it was agreed to store them in a room, we were so relieved but did n't leave the hotel until after 10.00am wasting valuable time on our last day of sightseeing & shopping.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Longsmiler52
Thank you so much for taking time to review your stay. I'm sorry to hear you had some complications at the end of your stay. There are occasions where luggage storage space isn't enough to meet some needs but we have come up with solutions to prevent it in the future. Thank you again for the review and I hope you give us another opportunity next time your in NYC.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My experience began with checking in with Loida who was entirely sweet, friendly, funny and professional. I find that the staff at budget hotels work VERY hard and have multiple responsibilities--she is a true multi-tasker and can do it with a smile.

My king room was small but not "too small". Being new, it was very clean and decorated nicely with a little bit of "hip"--I loved the metallic "snakeskin" print padded headboards, the slick desk chair, and nice lighting. The bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable, and they even left a card detailing how the firm pillows were in the back of the stack and the soft were in the front (6 pillows!!).

Coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby 24/7 as well as a complimentary breakfast each morning with "make your own hot waffles", eggs (scrambled "patties" and hard boiled), sausage or ham, bagels, oatmeal and other cereals, fruit, yogurt, juices, and bagels--not bad for free!

At this price, it is a fantastic value. Location is a bit off the beaten path, but within one or 2 blocks of AMAZING Hell's Kitchen restaurants, bars, and theaters.

Most of all, I appreciated Loida's personal help (especially in securing an extra day when the hotel was selling/sold out). Very comfortable stay. Thank you all at Comfort Inn Midtown West.

Room Tip: There is construction on 48th st and on weekdays it can be quite loud. Try for a "south" s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo