“Loved This Little Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
Ranked #181 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Arizona
“Loved This Little Hotel”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Maybe it's the novelty of it. But this tiny roomed hotel was really appealing to us. We had the king room which is much smaller, than the double queens. Shoe-box small. Barely wider and deeper than the bed small. But, the decor and built- in furniture in the room was so clever. The bathroom was very nice. And, the compact but efficient design was impressive.

The location, although busy, was awesome. Again, my emotions may be taking over but walking across the street to spend the entire day ay Macy's, priceless! There are a few restaurants/pubs on the street. A trendy burger place on the corner and a good deli with a huge variety on the opposite corner near Empire. A big Starbucks not far. It was a close walk to Times Square to pick up a bus tour.

I agree that the attitude of the staff was outstanding. You can tell when customer service is just part of their DNA and this hotel exemplifies it.

From a practical standpoint, if you are a family with kids, and like a king, this room will not work. But why ruin it? "Sorry kids, mommy and daddy have to head back to New York...."

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear 14Surprise,

Thank you for your review and kind words. And thank you for loving my hotel. I’m glad that you found our location to be a good value. As you mentioned, our property is within walking distance to Macy’s, great restaurants, pubs, and cafes. You are absolutely right; customer service is part of our DNA. We pride ourselves on the great guest service we provide. I will be sure to pass along to my TEAM all the nice things you mentioned.

Thanks again for choosing us! And certainly look forward to your next visit.

Have a great day!

Omar Aquino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've been staying at Holiday Inn/IHG properties since early childhood, and I'm a Platinum-level IHG Club member. Never have I experienced the high level of customer service that I enjoyed at the HIE Herald Square 36th Street. As I approached the check-in desk for my 5-night stay, Lauren greeted me with a smile, recognized my Platinum status, and treated me like a VIP, offering me cold bottled water and a snack bag. I explained that my sister and two children would be joining me the following day, and she assured me that they would be well cared-for upon their arrival. When they did arrive, the hotel was able to arrange a connecting room, so it felt a lot like having a 2-bedroom, 2-bath suite. We were on the 16th floor, with close-up views of the Empire State Building two blocks away. Other than hearing distant sirens a time or two during our stay, the rooms were very quiet and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate, with scrambled eggs, delicious bacon (on weekdays), sausage, pre-made omelettes, biscuits, gravy, cinnamon rolls, fresh pancakes, apples, bananas, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, bagels, English muffins, whole wheat bread, non-fat yogurt, 2% milk, and various juices. We arrived around 9:15 most mornings, and the only time it was crowded was on Saturday and Sunday. The four of us were able to get a table right away every time. But back to the customer service: By the second day, Lauren was greeting me by name each time I came into the lobby. By the third day, Tamara was doing the same thing, and each one of them seemed genuinely glad to see us when we came in from a morning of shopping or an evening at the theatre, always making a point of greeting us by name and giving us a big smile. During our stay, we had a forgotten toothbrush (replaced), a lockout or two, and various other little issues that Lauren, Tamara, and other front desk staff handled with a smile. One night, my nephew and I took a lot of time visiting the Empire State Building while my sister shopped; when we returned, Lauren let us know that my sister and niece had come in earlier and looked like they were in for the night. OK, now I was feeling like a resident of a building with a doorman! The rooms are modern, well-equipped, and quite compact; the small gym had minimal equipment, but was good for a handy workout. Overall, we had a wonderful stay, and I plan to return on my next visit to New York City.

1 Thank SDBeachGuy
Dear SDBeachGuy;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! Thank your review and wonderful details concerning you recent stay with us! Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Platinum member; we appreciate your business and loyalty. I’m glad you felt like at home!! I appreciate your kind feedback about Lauren and Tamara. I’m certainly proud of both them and will pass along your comments.

On behalf of the entire TEAM at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Glen Allen, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Hotel was extremely clean. Hotel has only been open for 5 months so everything was in great condition. The location was great for the areas we wanted to visit. The staff was some of the nicest I have ever encountered anywhere!!! They have a great hot breakfast served everyday and is free. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Great view of the Empire State building.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear EGH43;

Thank you for your review and kind words. I am glad that you were pleased with your stay. We pride ourselves on the great guest service that we provide. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the area.

Thanks for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square!

Omar
southeastern U.S
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Loved this new hotel very close to Macy's and a short walk to Times Square. Yes rooms are not huge but husband and 16 and 20 year old and I made it fine even with lots of luggage. Great breakfast and large room to dine. Elevators were very fast. All staff were super nice and accommodating. They held our luggage for us on day of arrival.

Room Tip: I love the setup of only 8 rooms per floor. No long walks to your room and very quiet
Dear Southerntraveler2

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you found our location to be a good value. As you mentioned, our property is within walking minutes to Macy’s and the Empire State Building and centrally located to the major attractions NYC has to offer. Thank you for your comments concerning our great breakfast and for your kind words about my staff. I certainly have a great TEAM and am proud of all of them. I’m glad my staff held your luggage the day of your arrival.

Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to your next visit!

Regards,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is my first time writing a review about a hotel since i'm not the type that can easily complain, BUT this time i have the strong urge to share my unbelievable experience at this hotel. I picked this hotel as i always read about the reviews on tripadvisor whenever i go travelling.

I'd start with the location - GREAT, there is no doubt about it - only a couple blocks from times square and other shopping area.

The free Wi-Fi and complimentary breakfast was wonderful, the wi-fi was fast and the breakfast was enough to keep me full until late lunch time.

The room was average to small, the bathroom was small but clean.

But when it comes to the service, i had to say it was terrible

I stayed multiple nights there since i went to several other cities as well. I stayed for around 9 nights in total there. The first two nights were fine. And on the next day i planned to leave NYC for 4 nights for Washington and Boston.
So, the night before i came down to the concierge desk and asked if i could store my big luggages (there were 4 of those, and i was gonna carry 2 small luggages to washington) in the hotel until we come back to NYC and we're gonna stay in this hotel again for the next 6 nights. The concierge said "yes that's should be alright", and i made it very clear that i was gonna store my luggages for 4 nights, and she said "yes, absolutely".
Then on the next day, i went down to the concierge with my 4 big luggages to check out and store my luggages, the girl from last night was not there at that time. So i told the concierge that i wanna store my luggages. And then she said "unfortunately, we don't do that service, it's against the policy etc etc, we can only keep for 24hrs". I was like what theee..., it was 9am and my train leaves at 10am. And i kept telling them that the girl from last night told me that i can store my luggages, but they seemed to not believe me. They did apologize but there was nothing that they offered to compensate. i was so upset, I mean if you had told me that you dont do that service, i would have looked for another alternative and left earlier. I asked if they could do just this time (to compensate whatsoever) but instead they told me there's a luggage storage service on the 39th st and i can store my luggages there. But it's already 9.10am and i'm not gonna carry my 4 huge luggages by foot. One of the staff helped me find the cab and asked for my email/contact number and he said he would see what can be done from there. we just rushed like crazy to get a cab (you can imagine how hard it is to get a cab and the traffic at that rush hour), and went to the storage, and rushed straight to the Penn Station, aaannd we didnt make it. so we bought another train ticket for another 200 bucks!! It was a rough morning really.
Then when we came back to the NYC i was thinking to ask about any type of compensation that they could offer regarding this situation, but i was too tired to ask them and didnt want to get into another long conversation with them.

And yea as i thought, they never contacted me through my email nor offered to compensate regardless how looongg i have stayed at their hotel. And the funny thing is, i never saw the staff that-told-me-that-he-was-gonna-contact-me ever again at that hotel.

Oh and also there was one day the housekeeping did not change our towels, so we asked the frontdesk to get a new towel and as usual she said "unfortunately, we dont have a housekeeping at this time."
well, what else can't you do?

I would definitely not stay at this hotel ever again!! There are a lot of hotels nearby so dont have to worry about location.

Room Tip: dont book a standard room if you wish to get a twin bed room, standard room always comes in king bed...
2 Thank ellavinella
Dear Ellavinella,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! And thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you found our location, free Wi-Fi and complimentary breakfast to be a good value. Thank you for comment concerning the service provided by our concierge. It is only by notifications such as yours that we can make necessary corrections and improve our services. As you can see, from our many previous reviews the level of guest service we provide is top notch. That’s why I would personally be looking into your comments with my concierge desk to ensure it is corrected.

Thanks again for your review and feedback and we look forward to your return!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We enjoyed a brand new hotel with very good rooms, and very nice people. Location is the best. It has a very well provided self service brakfast. Rooms are very clean, litle beat small but who cares when you visit such beautiful city as NY. We would use it again without doubts.

• Stayed July 2013
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! And thank you very much for your nice review. We certainly appreciate your kind words concerning our nice rooms, our great location, the breakfast options, the service of the staff, and the cleanliness of the rooms. We pride ourselves on the great guest service we provide. I will be sure to pass along to our staff all the nice things you mentioned.

Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to seeing on your next visit to the NYC area.

Chateauguay, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I want to start off by saying the hotel was in a great location and staff was helpful in guiding us around the city.We checked in July 6th and stayed for three nights. The evening of the last night we arrived back at the hotel late and exhausted from the day. The next morning we were getting organized to check out . I lifted both comforters off the bed to make sure nothing was being left behind. I found on the bed I shared with my son several dried up spots of blood. I lifted up the other bedding on the bed my son was sharing with my husband and there was what looked like pink juice stains in the middle of the bed. These were not stains that remained after being washed. These were fresh stains!!!!! The cleaning lady actually changed my sheets with somebody's dirty sheets!!! Was this an accident? I hope so. We had no time to shower and were extremely grossed out. At check out I brought it to the attention of hotel staff , they apologized but nothing was done, no compensation was offered at all... We left upset and it ruined our last day as a family. We travel and rely on tripadvisor to help assure a safe and enjoyable stay when we travel. I am not saying to avoid this hotel , just please check your sheets before going to sleep!!!! As a customer travelling with a family we should have been offered some kind of compensation . We expected a clean safe environment at this hotel not dirty bloody sheets.

5 Thank Erin19760000
Dear guest;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you found our location and staff to be a good value. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the cleanliness of your room. It is only by notifications such as yours that we can make necessary corrections and improve our services. As you can see, from our many previous reviews the level of cleanliness at our hotel is top notch. That’s why I would personally be looking into your comments with my housekeeping department to ensure it is corrected.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you soon!