“Service Issue but nice hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
Ranked #200 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was prepared to go with four dots, until my checkout experience. I called the front desk to let them know I was checking out. She responded, "I can't check you out until you are out of the room." I told her I was leaving the room, key on the desk, I have my bill which was put under the door, but she refused to check me out until I presented myself at the front desk. I've never had this experience before and can't believe it's hotel policy, perhaps just a misinformed worker. That aside, the room was clean and not in need of any repairs, the location was not in the heart of my meetings but they were easily accessible. Free breakfast will save you some $$$ as will the free WiFi since most hotels here charge. Otherwise friendly service. Walkable area of the city. I might stay here again, the pricing was very competitive for the quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MangaMan
Omar A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear MangaMan,

Thank you for taking your time to rate us and let us know about the issue that you have experienced while staying at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. I would like to apologize for the front desk that they were not aware of the phone check out procedure as we do have some new staff members that are still training, but I will do my best to make sure that this not happen again. I am glad to hear that you still did enjoy your stay, our breakfast and location and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I travelled to New York with my mum for my 21st birthday.

The staff are very friendly. Upon arrival we were earlier than the recommended check-in time but were given a room straight away.

The rooms are a good size, we had a double bed each, they are modern and clean. The bathroom door was a slidey door which didn't seem to lock, which was slightly unusual, but is very nice otherwise.
The safe is free to use. And the only thing missing I would say is a small fridge in the room, which would of been nice to store water.

The breakfast is relatively simple but still a good choice on the buffet (and when you consider all the big lunches & dinners you'll have in NYC it's perfect), however you do have to eat using plastic cutlery & paper plates. I did really enjoy the breakfast that was offered!

Overall our stay at the Holiday Inn Herald Square was very nice, and I'm certain we will be back :)

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Everyone knows that Times Square is really obnoxious with the foot traffic! This hotel is located a couple blocks over and several blocks (well, 4) south and is a perfect location to sample NY and not be overwhelmed by it. - My room was lovely (although it was described as "with a view" which turned out to be a very tall office building!) and well appointed, clean and comfortable. There are only 8 rooms on a floor which keeps the noise from neighbors down too.

I was a little disappointed that my IHG Club membership had no perks there (I didn't ask, tho, it had been too long a day). Usually you get at least a bottle of water. And, of course, breakfast is the typical junk - it's not a Holiday Inn thing, it's a universal thing with hotel breakfasts. I grabbed a banana.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathy0619
Omar A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy your room and the location was conveniently located near most exciting areas in NYC. My apologies that you didn't receive the amenities as you are the IHG club member. We hope that in the near future you can come back to us and we can make your stay spectacular.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during October of 2013 and enjoyed it. The hotel is located in a great location, 5 min walk to Macy's and the Empire State Building, 8 min to Times Square and Broadway. Subway stations are also very close as are several places to eat including restaurants and fast food places. The hotel itself is clean an offers a complimentary breakfast which was very nice. There is a small Gym as well. The staff were quite helpful when asked for recommendations and addresses for several locations. Would definitely stay here again next time I'm in NY.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fatin_Nazareth82

Fatin_Nazareth82 thank you for a wonderful review and for taking your time to write it. I am glad to hear that you had a great time with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I spent 6 very comfortable nights here in October 2013.
The hotel is in a very good location - 3 min walk to subway, 5 mins walk to Macy's, 5 mins walk to The Empire Statue Building, 10 mins to Times Square and 15 min walk to Rockefella Center to name but a few. We stayed for a week and only used a cab once - to get us from airport. The $30 subway ticket was amazing value!

Staff were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. Check-in was very quick with no fuss. As a platinum guest they had a small gift bag and water for us ready at arrival.

Self-serves breakfast is complimentary - Tea, Coffee, Orange Juice, Toast, Bagels, Pancakes, Scrambled eggs or omelette, sausages and some random thing that was called gravy - I was never brave enough to taste it! pastries, cereals, fruit, peanut butter spread etc. and yogurts.

We stayed in room 1702 which contained air-con with 2 double beds, wardrobe with wooden hangers, chest of 3 drawers, tea/coffee making facilities, ice bucket, TV, full size iron & ironing board. Safe inside the wardrobe - which was FOC. Bathroom very good sized shower, toilet, basin, good hair-dryer. Shower gel, shampoo & conditioner - topped up daily.

Wifi - we had access to wifi in our room, which is FOC to all guests.

The room we had backed on to an amazing view of the Empire State Building and eve although adjoining there was no noise.

We had an enjoyable stay at the Holiday Inn. Should we return to NYC, we would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher room - 1702 perfect view. Email hotel before arrival to request. I did - got no reply, howe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lisagm
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We spent two nights at the HIE Oct 7-8 2013. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. I had several questions and they were always helpful. The property looks to be in excellent shape and our room seemed large for a NYC hotel. Every aspect seemed to be freshly renovated. It was easy to get a taxi and close enough to walk to everything if so inclined to do so. Breakfast buffet was good (standard fare in all Holiday Inn Expresses) and there was plenty of room for all of the diners. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jnissen
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We decide to celebrate our 20th anniversary in NYC, spent 5 nights at this little jem in W 36 St, the location was perfect! everything was in hand reach and the staff was very helpful and kind, we would like to mention specially Chris and Marina that helped us to get a quiet room on 19 floor.
when we are back in New York, this hotel will be our first choice for stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 15 and above are quiet, ask for the one ending with 08 for empire state building vie...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple