Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
Ranked #176 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good Steal”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Compared to other hotels in the area, the Holiday Inn Express was the cheapest. The value of the hotel was incredible for the price you paid. The rooms were very clean and well kept. There are very few rooms on each floor which makes it for a quiet atmosphere. I was on the 12th floor and could not hear any Manhattan Traffic below me. The breakfast was alright, nothing too special. However, for the price you get AND BREAKFAST, that is a huge plus to the expensive Manhattan. Although this hotel does NOT have parking, there is a lot next to it that offers parking at 25-35 dollars per day... which is much cheaper than other hotel owned parking options in the area )that can get up to 55 dollars a day. The only down side is that the hotels rooms are a bit small, but what can you expect from a manhanttan building. It would have been a better investment to include a pool instead of a fitness facility. Maybe a space issue? I feel that after a long day of walking in NYC, not many people want to get down to the exercise facility. The hotel was also in prime location... a short walk from time square and subway stops.

Room Tip: Book a room towards the back side of the hotel on a high floor. You get a great view of the empire s...
2 Thank mapology97
Omar A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear mapology97;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Holiday Inn Express Herald Square. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! We are delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us! We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to post this review and I would also like to thank you for your business.

On behalf of all of us at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your future visit.

Best regards,

Omar A.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is the best in NYC. The hotel offers fast free wifi and a fantastic service. The room was very comfortable and I had a good sleep. The hotel's breakfast was fascinating it was very delicious.

If I got a chance to travel to NYC again, I will stay at HIE Herald Square.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jaan V;

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs. We really appreciate the time you take out of your day to post this review and I would also like to thank you for your business.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the NYC.

Best regards,

Province of Naples, Italy
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Location, location, location!!!

The best part of this hotel is the location (Manhattan’s Herald Square). Easy walking distance to Times Square and all the bus tour loading points within 8 minutes. Buy your bus tour tickets online. "Big Bus" is what we went with who had a nice 2-day tour with "hornblower" ferry looky-loo tour of Hudson River/Statue of Liberty. Night tours are awesome...go for it!!! Ask for discounts...they'll give them. I'd also compare with the red bus tours...they seemed to go EVERYWHERE.

Empire State Building, 5 minutes. Enter from 5th Ave and purchase your tickets online or inside...not from the vultures outside.

Madison Square Garden (check for events) and New York Penn Station (the best place to arrive in the city by train/bus) are both within a 10 minute walk.

Macy's is a 2-minute walk and has some excellent shopping and good restaurants.

Immediately next door is a "FRESH" Restaurant which had nice smoothies and salads. A nice change of healthy food available if you're a "street-eater" like me.

Free Wi-Fi which seemed fine to me and to the teenagers said it seemed "slow." Awesome flat-screen TV are featured in each room with all the usual channels.

The rooms come with a small desk if you are working and a tea/coffee-maker. Speaking of coffee...downstairs in the lobby you can have all the coffee you want from a decent coffee bar.

The bathroom, although very tight (small) had a wonderful shower (big) and it did have a hairdryer.

A small but functional fitness center is included, but hey, you'll burn the calories running/walking the city. Extra pillows/towels came quickly when asked for.

We booked a double-room through Booking.com where we got the best price. They take the standard discounts here as well, such as AAA. We arrived extremely early like many other guests and the hotel stored our luggage. They even called when the room was ready (one hour before check-in). Likewise, the check-out was at noon and we again stored our luggage for another three hours while we did our last tour of the city. We didn't have any problems, but witnessed someone with small kids get issued two rooms which weren't adjoining and they couldn't get moved. I'd call the hotel specifically if you need this feature.

Room Tip: A lower floor so you can cut down your elevator wait times.
6 Thank ReynoldsK
Dear guest ReynoldsK;

Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to your next visit!

Southlake, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Spent five days in the Big Apple with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. The room was a bit on the small side, and a bit more $$$ than we're used to spending, but overall, it was a great stay. Several reviews mentioned the rooms being small and they are, but there was space for 2 adults and 2 teens. We would have preferred a bigger desk and a real door ( not a sliding one ) and bathtub ( just a nice, stand up shower ) in the bath room , but those were the only bad parts of the room.

We did pay for a 'city' view... but did not get on the Empire State Building side.... we were on the 17th floor and had an 'ok' view.... not sure how it was a 'city' view.

The hotel site says 'wired' internet was available but that did not seem to work. The wi-fi access was good however.

The breakfast area filled up after 8am and the elevators were slow during peak times ( the staff / maids use the same elevators ) but if you get to breakfast early, there is plenty of space.

The staff was friendly and very helpful.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try and get an Empire State Building view.. The other side of the building just gives you a view of...
Dear guest JackSnodgrass;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! And thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you found our location, our amenities, and the staff to be a good value.

Thanks again for your review and feedback and we look forward to your return!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Staff was nice! But room and eating area small. Not enough room in breakfast area at all for the number of visitors that stay there. But close to a lot of shopping areas. The breakfast was very good and hot and there was enough food for all the visitors.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear NikBillups,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry some aspects of our hotel were not to your liking. I am pleased that our staff was able to offset this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our great location and breakfast.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Brunswick
Reviewed 17 July 2014

In planning my most recent trip to NYC, I wanted a hotel away from the Times Square location, but still central. Since I enjoyed the Holiday Inn Express Brand during my last visit, I was sure I wanted that.

I also wanted something within walking distance from Madison Square Garden, as we were attending a concert there, and also close to the subway system. This hotel fit my criteria, and it was cheaper then staying at the Holiday in Express at Madison Square garden. Since Pen station is below Madison square garden we arrived from JFK via the Long Island Railway at 11am, quick 10 minute walk from Pen Station to this Beautiful hotel. I was very surprised I was able to check in early, I was expecting to have to leave my luggage or wait around.

Staff was fantastic, room was the perfect size for relaxing after a long day exploring New york city. It's central location was perfect as we were about a 10 minute walk up Broadway street to times square, so we could walk it instead of using the subway. There is a subway station around the corner, which you can use to get up to the Theater(Broadway) shows or elsewhere if you choose not to walk. There is a fantastic restaurant across from the hotel called "The Keg Room" one of the girls at the front desk recommended it and I'm glad she did.

I also noticed some reviews mentioned that they could hear noise from this Bar at night. We were on the 5th floor facing the bar, and we heard nothing from there....maybe because it was world cup time and the games were being held in the afternoon? However around 6:30 am you can start to hear the street traffic as the hotel is on a well (not highly) used one way street so you do hear the occasional car honk. The room walls are a bit thin, I could hear the ppl beside me but they didn't talk long so that didn't bother me...Honestly I think most hotels now days have thin walls so it's avoidable. the beds were super comfortable, beautiful bathroom, decent size room for a new york hotel, perfect for your base of operation while out and about.

The breakfast room can get busy, but honestly it was twice the size as the Holiday In Express at Times Square (39th) ave that I stayed at during my previous visit. Always well stocked and always a staff member keeping and eye on things! Well done! We discovered that 7am seems to be not to busy, we went at 8:30 am one morning and there was nowhere to sit and we had to bring our food upstairs (compostable trays are provided which is great) so needless to say we went down at 7am to eat breakfast every other morning then returned to our room to get ready to explore for the day.
So conclude with I'm very glad I picked this hotel, and will be sure to consider it again during my next visit to NYC and also recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thephilster
Dear guest thephilster;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square for your lodging needs! Thank you for your review and kind words. I am glad that you were pleased with your stay and that you found our staff, amenities, and location to be a good value. As you mentioned, our property is centrally located to the major attractions and delightful restaurants NYC has to offer. My staff and I are very honored you picked our hotel and that we were able to serve you.

On behalf of the entire TEAM at the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very close to everything you need to walk to, times square, fashion district, shops, and subway. And yet it was tucked away on 36th street away from the hustle and bustle.
My family and I (4) enjoyed this hotel very much, even though the rooms aren't as big as out west, they are big enough and you shouldn't be in room long any way. It's new York city, go outside.
They have free WiFi and a good free breakfast.
If you don't want to walk somewere, hotel is close to all subway lines (and Penn station).
This holiday inn express is also a very new building and is smoke free.
Staff has also been very helpful and polite. Taylor helped us out at check in and gave us the run down on were things were and how to find them.
You won't go wrong with this holiday inn Express.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Derek K
Dear Derek K;

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Herald Square NYC for your lodging needs. Thank you for your review and great feedback of our location, amenities, breakfast, and the staff. We pride ourselves on the great guest service that we provide. I will be sure to pass along to my TEAM all the nice things you mentioned.