“Lovely hotel, great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Union Square New York
Ranked #109 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Lovely hotel, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

A calm, appealing oasis in the cacophony that is New York City. The front desk folks are courteous and ready to help with anything. Also, you should eat at the hotel restaurant (The Fourth) while you're there. I have the memory of a gnat and I remember that delicious breakfast in all its fantastic glory.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tess S
Tenzing D, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Tess S,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are so glad that you had a great time at Hyatt Union Square. We do appreciate the great commendations and descriptive compliments you have bestowed upon us.

We do hope that you will return to us when your trip brings you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Until then,

Chris Holbrook
chris.holbrook@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Hebrew first
Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having stayed at many Hyatt properties all over the world, I was surprised and disappointed with the lack of basic amenities provided. Most sorely missed...the in-room coffee maker (one cup limit) had only decaf coffee, no regular. So I called guest services and was told they were out of regular coffee! For the next 3 days!!! Customer service would have dictated a quick run to a local market to pick some up. While down in the lobby bar on day 3 I discovered they had set up a coffee pot (no one had informed me it was there) but, you may have guessed it...OUT OF REGULAR COFFEE!!! At 7:00 AM. The staff is very sweet and apologies abound, but no corrections occur.
There was no shower cap or makeup/magnifying mirror provided in the bathroom, usually provided in the least expensive hotels. The front desk offered to send up a make-up mirror "right away", but it arrived after I left the room, over an hour later. The light on the mirror was broken when it finally did arrive.
I gave it 3stars because it is the quietest hotel I've ever been in in NYC. We were on the 6th floor and there were no detectable traffic noises. The bed was very comfy, and the location is great. Our room was 232 square feet which is quite small, but similar to other NYC rooms. But the hallways were so narrow that 2 people couldn't pass at many parts without turning sideways. All this for $500 per night(including taxes).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Patricia E
Tenzing D, Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Ms. Patricia E,

I want to personally apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay. This is definitely not typical of our staff or the service that we provide here at Hyatt Union Square. We definitely could have done better or more in your particular case and I'm sad that we failed this time. We will look into all the issues you had and discuss with my management team in the respective departments to remedy the issues.

Please do contact me directly if you'd like to discuss the matter further. I cannot change the past; but certainly can influence the future. Rest assured, I will personally make sure your next stay will be unlike this one and have you experience everything that you should deserve from a Hyatt property.

I look forward to your email and hopefully welcome you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Kind Regards,

Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

From the minute I booked- to the minutiae I checked out- this hotel was awesome! Staff was super friendly and even brought up a custom dessert for my niece who was on her first NYC trip with me for her 15th birthday! I would highly recommend that of you are visiting NYC STAY HERE!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank QueenieWoodson
Tenzing D, Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you once again for this great review. We are so happy to hear that you had a lovely stay with us.

I am glad we were able to make your stay a great one and you're more than welcome for the amenity we sent up. It was the least we could do for your neice.

We do hope you will return to us when your trip brings you back to NYC. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel was exactly what I needed on my recent weekend trip to NYC. From the minute I arrived I was pleased with this hotel. The front desk staff were friendly, efficient and personable, even past midnight (I took a late flight in). They asked about my plans for my trip and offered help finding anything I might need. I feel like at a lot of places, they don't actually care, but here, the staff remembered that I was there to see a show at Irving Plaza (which is just 2 blocks away) and asked how it was the next evening when I returned. Those are the kind of details that make me a happy customer.

The rooms are fairly small, as expected in NYC, but I was impressed with how spacious it felt. There is great space saving design that's still aesthetically pleasing. The bed was very comfortable and I slept like a baby.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing room was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We are so glad that you had a great stay here at Hyatt Union Square.

Our staff here at Hyatt Union Square are nothing less of hospitality professionals that are dedicated to providing the best and genuine service to all our guest. We are glad you were able to experience one such moment and able to share it. I will be more than happy to acknowledge our staff witht their exemplary service.

We hope that you make Hyatt Union Square your new home and hopefully we'll be able to more of you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Thank you and until then....

Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend the Hyatt Union Square Hotel. I've stayed in NYC many times and never knew about this hotel before! The room was beautiful, modern, clean and had everything I needed. Check in was quick, easy and accommodating! The restaurants were wonderful! What I loves most was the location; everything was right outside your door. Shopping, markets, restaurants and especially and especially the clean open spaces which in NYC are hard to find!
I would rate this hotel Andy experience a 5 star!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We would like to welcome you back and hopefully you would recommend your loved ones as well about the hotel. It's a gem in the heart of New York City and our staff here work tirelessly creating an ambiance of chic and luxury at the same time.

Please do contact me directly should you have any questions or queries for your future stays in New York.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Kind Regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I love Hyatt Union Square for the friendly staff, lovely decor, and proximity to everything! I have tried many brands in the city, but always come back to Hyatt. I specifically choose the Union Square location because of it's cozy feel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for this amazing review. Your title says it all and I have to thank you for your loyalty with Hyatt.

We hope to make every stay of yours at Hyatt Union Square a memorable one and we have just the individuals that are personable and professional at the same time.

Please do contact me directly should you have any queries or when your plans bring you back to Hyatt Union Square.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square in the near future. Thank you once again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Front desk staff is always ready to accommodate you as best they can. On my last trip I received a fabulous upgrade and they corrected a mistake in the reservation that I made. Great service with a smile. Gym is fantastic, one of my favorite hotel gyms in the city. My go to union square hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Nryan2008
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I am truly glad that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I'm glad that you have come back to us since your last visit to NYC. We hope to see many more of your visits so we can recreate all those memorable experiences for you.

Please do contact me if you have any questions or plan for your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.