“Great hotel in New York”

Hyatt Union Square New York
Ranked #119 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Great hotel in New York”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was impressed by the Hyatt on Union Square. It’s hard to find a good corporate approved hotel for my company that’s nicer and not off Times Square. The rooms are much bigger than I expect in New York and I also thought your front desk people were very good, esp. as I checked in late at night and left early morning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Rachel_Seattle2014,

Thank you for this amazing review. We are glad that you have found us and impressed with the hotel and the staff. I'm thrilled to also hear that your short stay was sweet and satisfactory.

We'll hope the next trip is a bit longer and you actually get to experience the finer things in Hyatt Union Square - the staff, the hotel and the neighborhood.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square. Thank you for staying with us.

chris.holbrook@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just came back home to London from my great stay at the Hyatt Union Square only to find that I had completely forgotten to pack the shoes. I rang the Hyatt straight off the plane and housekeeping were straight on it, they followed up immediately and Drita the Director of Housekeeping personally informed me that the shoes (I love those shoes) were located and arranged to get them back to me. The staff at the hotel throughout my stay were attentive and helpful, and having stayed at many hotels in my working and other life - I could really appreciate it. Highly recommended.

Dear Jaclyn L,

Thank you for reviewing us. I'm so glad you had an amazing stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear that our staff was proactive and efficient in delivering you items to you on time. I'll be sure to commend Drita and her team for their outstanding service.

I'm positive that after this review, we will be expecting a second visit from you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Thank you for staying with us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Travelling with my 19 year old daughter and 3 suitcases on a trip back to uni from Australia - we usually stay at Hyatt Grand Central and wanted to experience a different area. Hotel looks quite boutique and traditional from outside but the staff are funkily dressed as is the lobby. Staff were very nice and "upgraded" us. I'm a Hyatt Platinum member. Our upgrade was the same tiny room only looking out to a busy street rather than an internal courtyard. Not really an upgrade! The room on a high floor was absolutely minuscule and the decor and finishes, looked cheapish. Its a newl hotel, and its going to be out of fashion in 5 minutes! I knew from the photos the room would be small, so I hadn't ordered a twin room, but I didn't realise how small! There was a curved desk -gotta love the desk -with no cupboards under that made the tiny space even harder to get around, and an elliptical mini bar/coffee area that again took up valuable floor space. There was no storage in the bedside tables except one drawer on one and magazine space on the other side. The robe was 3feet wide at best and half taken up with 2 shallow drawers and the safe, and the other hanging half included the ironing board! We had to put 2 cases and our cabin bag in storage to avoid a complete obstacle course! Bathroom actually bigger than Grand Central Hyatt, with excellent shower pressure and nice amenities. It just didn't feel 5* at all. Not luxurious or expensive at all - sorry!
Dined our second evening at the adjoining restaurant The Fourth which looked pretty cool. The hostess was good but the two male waiters were average to ordinary. We waited 45 minutes for our main course on a fairly quiet night. I was then up all night with food poisoning from around 4am and couldn't go out the last evening to the restaurant we'd been looking forward to as I was still so ill and I'm never sick!
The position of the hotel is great, and I much prefer the area downtown as it has a much more local and interesting vibe. Don't think I'd ever stay here again however. I'd only really recommend it to a business person travelling lightly for a couple of days no more. I didn't see the "bigger" rooms but I just feel if you looked around you could get much more space for your $$. Definitely not for a family.

Room Tip: You'd have to pay for any room of a decent size ,unless your traveling alone then a high floor a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank traveltales3
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Traveltale3,

It is with much regret that I write to you under these circumstances. We are disappointed to see that you weren't satisfied with your recent stay with us regarding room size and the restaurant experience. I would like to sincerely apologize for all inconvenience you endured this stay.

In regards to room sizes, we do have various room categories with larger room space and when available we would be more than happy to upgrade our Gold Passport loyal members. I see that we had upgraded you but not up to your satisfaction and I am sorry for that.

That being said, I can't change the past but certainly can influence your future stay. Please let me know if there is any way we can change your mind or reconsider choosing us again and we would be more than happy to show you a better and renewed Hyatt Union Square experience.

On a positive note, thank you for recognizing our hotel staff as they are friendly and passionate individuals that strive to make every guest feel at home and welcomed.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you and we hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Everyone was attentive and committed to the guests.
The facilities were in impeccable conditions, very comfortable and convenient.
The restaurant the Fourth, had a great ambience, service and food. Simply delicious.
Everything worked like clockwork. Totally satisfied, absolute recommended experience.

Dear Ricardo H,

Thank you for this lovely review about the hotel. I'm very glad you had a wonderful stay with us. It is very encouraging to hear that the team has excelled to make your stay a great one.

I'll be sure to congratulate and commend my team on a job well done.

We definitely do hope to see you in the near future. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Union Square.

Chirs Holbrook
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Union Square Hotel, we were greated as if we were royalty,treated with the up most respect. The staff were all very welcoming, the quality and comfort of the rooms complete top of the line..

Green Features: yes we found the Hyatt Union to be enviornmentaly friendly.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Daniel P,

Thank you so much for this amazing review. I am so glad you had a great stay with us. I will definitely share and congratulate all your compliments to our staff here who made you feel welcomed during your stay.

I am definitely looking forward to your return, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

More like an Andaz this place is the best hotel I've stayed at in New York and in my list of top 3 in the world. Genuinely friendly and helpful staff, a bed to die for, and the location is fantastic. Just 100m to the metro. I honestly can't think of any suggestions to improve the property so I'll simply say "well done" team. And hyatt should be very proud to have this property in their portfolio. It's well appointed but more importantly extremely well run.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank John H
Dear John H,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We really appreciate your feedback and compliments. I am glad you had a wonderful stay with us. You have showered us with great titles and compliments and I can't be more proud of the staff that work here and the product that we have.

Please do recommend us in Australia and/or would love to see you back at Hyatt Union Square on your next trip to New York.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cullman, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I chose this hotel due to proximity to Union Sq. with its confluence of subway lines. It's a relatively new hotel with typical contemporary style and décor. Rooms are a little small even by New York standards but nicely appointed. Nice big flat screen TV. And very comfortable bed. Shower had good pressure with no big changes in temp while showering. Staff friendly and helpful. One of the big pluses was lack of the wait time at the elevators which seems to be common in NYC hotels. Hotel is one block from Union Sq and easy walk to shopping on Broadway in Soho. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but it seemed friendly and inviting.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Chris_Holbrook, General Manager at Hyatt Union Square New York, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear LHF2013,

Thank you so much for this amazing review. We really appreciate this. I'm glad that you've enjoyed your stay with us.

We have been very keen and meticulous with our guest needs and hope we make the best out of their stay. It is with pride I say that I'm lucky to have a team such as ours.

We hope to see more of you and can't wait to welcome you back to Hyatt Union Square.