“Convenient location, nice premises/room, good hospitality”

Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #225 of 467 Hotels in New York City
bangalore
“Convenient location, nice premises/room, good hospitality”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed for two weeks. As I was on business trip, I wanted to be close to Times Square & subway station (less than 1 km) . This was ideal in that way. The cleanliness of the premises is also maintained. They had a complimentary unlimited hot drink (in those sub zero temperatures) every afternoon and that is a really nice gesture. The breakfast though a limited spread is done nice and kept hot. The WiFi was good except for two days, when I asked for a wired connection (and they were prompt at helping me with this). The staff were courteous and helpful, including the house keeping. Being close to business district, grocery stores and restaurants are easy to find. I also found it to be safe to walk even late night. I had got a better deal from hotels.com site though when I enquired directly from the front desk, it was expensive. The room was tad bit small, but that's NY and space is expensive. (I have been to Singapore and HKG and lived in smaller rooms even at higher rates and bigger brands). Overall pretty happy about the stay.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better. Take a room with a view and you might end up looking at a cruise at the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear aryan_kasturi,

Thank you for the review. We value your very thorough feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and took advantage of the beverage that we put out in the evenings. We hope that you will choose us again when you visit.

Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Out of the countless hotels we have stayed at over the years,the Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West Side was the cleanest, friendliest,and most enjoyable weve ever had.The location couldnt be more perfect,and the front desk was very helpful and gracious. In particular, Supervisor Luis was extremely kind and generous and practically treated us like family.He was just flat-out awesome!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Arlene Z,

Thank you! I love the title of the review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and that Luis played a big part in that. We will make sure that he is recognized for his awesome customer service. We look forward to seeing you often in the future!

Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked a Friday and Monday stay at this hotel. When we arrived we realized we were at the wrong location. The manager Farah told us that we should stay with them and she would give us a nice quiet room. So we decided to give it a try. Early Saturday morning we heard stay talking loudly and work radio's were loud and quite disturbing. Then two housekeepers stood outside of our door laughing and talking. I had it at this point and opened my door and yelled. When we went to check out Farah asked us how it was. I told her I wanted to cancel my Monday reservation and told her our experience. I could tell that she was very upset. She said please let me make this right. I don't want you to leave here with a bad experience. We decided to stay. When we checked in there was a note from the general manager and a bottle of wine. The note said if our stay was less than perfect to call her immediately. Everything was great!!!! I would highly recommend this hotel. They took ownership of the mistake and corrected it. Any business that does this will always get my repeat business. Thank you again for making our stay perfect!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Teri F,

Thank you for the review, and for the second chance! I am so glad that it went well. We felt horrible about the first incident, and were happy to have the chance to make up for it! I will make sure to recognize Farah for her great service! We hope to see you again the next time you stay over in the City.

Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I can't begin to express how nice it was to deal with such a great, hospitable staff. They made us feel like we had known them forever the moment we walked into the hotel. This HIE may be a little off the beaten path but at least you got the true feeling of NYC. I loved the small bodega's and restaurants close by in Hell's Kitchen and that we were close to everything in the Times Square area. The rooms are clean, the breakfasts were hardy and the coffee was actually pretty decent. I would stay there again in a New York minute!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing front.. You get views of a great skyline and the Hudson River.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Julie-n-FL,

Thank you for the review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you appreciated the Hell's Kitchen area. I love it myself. Thank you for mentioning the clean rooms and the hospitable staff. Making you feel at home is our goal! We look forward to your next visit.

London UK
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Was worried, as always when you haven't paid a great deal for a hotel, especially in NYC, and needn't have been! The hotel was clean, staff super friendly, breakfast was fine for what you need - loved the cinnamon rolls! We also had no problems finding somewhere to sit at breakfast. The location was just right - just far enough away from all the hustle and bustle but close enough to walk everywhere. Our room (413) was not small at all, and the bed soooooo comfy. We both slept really well while here. The ONLY negative about the whole thing was the coffee! Awful! Totally watered down - huge disappointment, especially somewhere like NYC where the coffee is usually divine. This is why it gets a 4 not a 5. Even so, will definitely stay again - luckily there's a starbucks 5 mins away!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chell82
Dear chell82,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are very happy that the location was 'just right' for you! We are also happy that you loved the bed and the cinnamon rolls! The next time you visit, we need to get you some special coffee to go with them :) We hope to see you soon. Thank you again.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was my first time every travelling to New York City and I could not have picked a better place to stay!! The rooms were so nice, and clean. The staff really made me feel at home... Richard at he front desk was so helpful with all of the attractions and all of the sights to see. Luis also at the front desk was also extremely helpful with directions. Overall the staff was so kind!! The hotel was perfect location, we were able to walk everywhere! Breakfast was delicious and the staff helping with breakfast were so kind and patient as it was always so busy and they had so many guests asking questions.
I will definitely stay here again when I come back :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear traveller972014,

Thank you so much for reviewing us as the 'Perfect Hotel'! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for recognizing the great service provided by Luis and Richard. We will make sure that they are recognized. We are glad that we will get to see you when you return. Hopefully soon!

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Over the past two weeks I had occasion to visit NY twice. I stay at two HIEs and based on these two experiences would choose the HIE Madison Square Garden over this one. Why? This property is more out of the way than the Madison Square Garden Property. Rather than being able to walk to Penn Station from the hotel as you can at Madison Square Garden, this will cost you a taxi ride. It also is marginally walkable to Times Square.

Like the other HIEs the lobby was clean, as were the rooms and the staff was courteous and friendly.

I purchased an "upgraded" room with a "city view" and what I got was a higher floor, but I wouldn't call looking at cooling ducts a city view. So is given the choice, I would not may the extra money for the view.

Breakfast can be tricky as often there will be a tour bus full of passengers making their way into or out of the hotel and the breakfast lounge will be very crowded. Timing your meal offers some respite, but the fare is pretty ordinary. If you are there for more than two days, you will definitely want to find a local cafe to avoid the powdered scrambled eggs and paper thin bacon. That said, it's included in the price of the room.

So given the option I would choose the Madison Garden HIE, but otherwise this is a resonable price for what you get in NYC.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the elevator shaft. NYC is noisy enough without listening to elevators all night long...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear PolyBatics,

Thank you very much for the detailed review. We are sorry to hear that we are not your first choice. We do appreciate that everyone has there preference, especially when it comes to location. If your travels do not require you to be near Penn Station, we would love if you gave us another try.