“1 week in New York City”

Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #222 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“1 week in New York City”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great location, great facilities. In New York for a family wedding, the rooms were compact, but certainly adequate for 2 single adults. Wifi was reliable, breakfast was welcomed, however get down early when it's cold outside as the dining room can become overcrowded. During warmer months certainly wouldn't be a problem with adequate outdoor seating. Staff were very hospitable,within walking distance of Times Square and subway just several blocks away on 8th and 50th. The hotel was quite full and whilst there was some noise with school groups certainly nothing to worry about.
At the end of a long day of walking, I would say the only small negative is that it was 3 blocks too far west as it is closet to 11th avenue....but don't let that out you off. All in all I would certainly stay there again when next in NYC!

Stayed March 2014
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Debbie B,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will return! We value all of the feedback in the review. Thank you again.

Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2014

If you want a good night's sleep, find another hotel. You will be dealing with huge groups of teenagers who yell, knock, and are completely disrespectful at all hours of the night. Outside on their patio you will have loud, drunk, obnoxious guests who sit out there all night and keep you awake because the noise travels right up to the room (no insulation). This doesn't include the foot traffic going to bars and clubs who whistle, yell, and talk loudly all night long or the constant sirens, honking, fire trucks, and ambulances that may as well be going through your room. I did not sleep at all and a 3 night stay turned into a 1 night stay and I could not wait to check out first thing in the morning. When I checked out, they never even asked how my stay was or why I was leaving early. Another hotel guest at the desk was making similar complaints about the noise. Calling to the front desk through the night did nothing, they tried to tell me there was no noise outside. This hotel does not place any value on maintaining a quiet property and if you are a light sleeper, find another hotel. The neighborhood is pretty sketchy, too. Overall a terrible stay, one of the worst I have encountered.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Ken G.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I assure you that this is not at all typical of our standard of service. I will use your comments as a training tool to make sure that this does not happen again. Thank you again for the feedback.

Sao Jose Do Rio Preto, SP
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel is perfect! It is a new building! The staff was very friendly and spent much attention with the guests. The location of the hotel is privileged, just 3 blocks from Times Square (7 minutes walking). This is perfect, because you can relax and stay out of heavy traffic. The breakfast is also perfect, there is a great variety of foods and the staff is constantly in attention to replenish food. The room is extremely clean, new, the room service cleans it everyday, the bedroom is very confortable and there isn't any bedbug (which is very important, because this a potential problem is some hotels in New York, mainly in the old ones). There many goods options to lunch and dinner near from the hotel. There are many restaurants as: Italian, French, Portuguese, Bralizan, Thai, Chinese, and others. Still in the hotel, it is offered free internet connection (wi-fi) at the rooms and a complete service with computers and totems at the lobby. It is certain that in my next trip to New York my family and me will stay again on it.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect. Definetly all rooms are good and will meet all expectations.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear GeraldoZafalon,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that we will be your hotel of choice for your next visit to New York City. I am glad that you appreciated the area, and took advantage of some of the great restaurants it offers! I am also glad that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and the breakfast. We hope that you visit again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had a fantastic experience at this hotel. We felt most welcome from the time we entered the lobby. Great friendly staff, rooms extremely well presented and clean, all sports channels on the TV and a fantastic breakfast. Staff gave great advice and answered our questions before we even asked them. Location one block from Hells Kitchen restaurants was a real advantage too. Wished we had have stayed there longer......

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Steve V,

Thank you so much for the review! We wish that you were able to stay longer as well! We hope that you are able to return in the future. We are glad that you had a nice time!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A good hotel with clean rooms and good beds. The have free wifi that unfortunately is unstable. However, when I complained, they provided me with a cable and I was up and running. The follow up of my complaint was very good, they called me back to tell me what happened and afterwards to check if everything was OK.

The breakfast is good, but it is a small breakfast room which is overcrowded all morning.

I would consider using it again for a good offer

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Freiro,

Thank you so much for the nice review. I am very sorry that you had a challenge with our internet. I am glad that we were able to resolve this to your satisfaction. I hope that you enjoyed your visit to New York City. We hope to see you are your next trip.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location. It is a short distance from Times Square and all other favourite New York City attractions. But, it is not in the middle of all the people and traffic which makes it a hotel that is perfect to relax in after a busy day touring the city. There was a variety of breakfast food and the counters were always stocked with food. The staff was very friendly too. The rooms, though they were on the small side, lacked no major amenity. The room was able to fit four people comfortably for three days. It was a great hotel and would definitely stay again on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Vincent V,

Thank you so much for the awesome review. We are so happy that we were 'perfect' for you! We are also glad that you will stay with is again on your next trip. We look forward to that visit!

Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 5 April 2014

One of the good things about picking a hotel in New York City is that you have a huge array of options. If you're someone who has $500 a night to burn on an old classic hotel with a gigantic lobby and rooms the size of a basketball court, there are other places where you can do that. But for what I needed on this trip, it is hard to imagine a better value than what I got. For openers, by New York standards the price was very, very reasonable. The room, while quite small, had an exceptionally comfortable bed, was immaculately clean (well, the outside windows were kind of dirty, but this is Manhattan), had an excellent TV with a fine choice of channels, good water pressure and hot water and overall very well maintained. The public areas, including the stairs, were very clean as well. It is true that the breakfast area was crowded, but I never was unable to get a seat, and I enjoyed the cinnamon rolls others have mentioned. The location is interesting: it's farther from restaurants and the subway than other Manhattan hotels where I've stayed, but within a 10 minute walk, you have plenty of choices. What's more, the neighborhood is astonishingly quiet and restful for Manhattan, and felt much safer and in better shape than I remembered Hell's Kitchen being. I was concerned about staying west of 7th Avenue, but I need not have been--the neighborhood is just fine. It's also a fine location for a walk to see a show (I walked right up 48th to the Walter Kerr Theater) or the Intrepid Museum. So for these reasons alone, the hotel would rate a strong review from me.
What pushes it up to five circles was the service. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel *anywhere* that had service this good. Staff remembered that I was there to see an NIT basketball game with my alma mater Minnesota at Madison Square Garden, and asked me later how the game went. Several of them remembered who I was, including the excellent housekeeper Fabiola. When there was a small plumbing problem in my room, it was fixed within 15 minutes. The manager who you see in the comments after other reviews was a regular presence at breakfast, checking up on how people were. They also gave me a room upgrade when I let them know I was in the Holiday Inn guest card program.
I appreciate enthusiastic people who do a good job, whether it's in a hotel or somewhere else. This hotel has created a culture where the staff are committed to doing just that. I'd gladly stay there again.

Dear Badgerjim,

First of all, congrats to your Golden Gophers on their NIT Championship. What a great game! Thank you so much for writing the very detailed review! We are so glad that you had a 'terrific stay'. We enjoyed having you as our guest. Thank you also for recognizing Fabiola by name. I will make sure that she is recognized. She is a great asset to our team. I appreciate all of the other positive comments you have about the hotel. We hope that we see you again soon!