“Excellent Price Value But Less Than Average Otherwise”

Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side
Ranked #228 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here because the price value for a mid town Manhattan hotel was excellent. However most other things are average at best. As a platinum IHG member I was told I was upgraded to a larger room. That room was very small. I'd hate to see how small the other rooms are. Worse than being small was the room was directly behind the elavotor shaft on one on the higher floors. Everytime the elevator would move the sound in my room was very annoying. I'm not sure what there cleanliness standard is but I was there for three nights and the room was never vacuumed. I minor spill of a nut mix was left on my floor every night. This was quite discomforting as I'm sure this lack of attention is happening elsewhere in the room and property. Lack of cleanliness is a sure way to get a bad review.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear TTMLL2215,

Thank you for the review. We value your feedback. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with your room cleanliness. I assure you that this is not our standard. I hope that you will give us another try when you return to New York City.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I booked this last minute through Hotwire so there's always a fear of what the trade off is for the great rate. We were both pleasantly surprised by every aspect of this lovely hotel. The rooms were actually much larger than others I have stayed at in midtown Manhattan This is clearly a fairly new hotel and the decor of the room was reflective of this. It was spotless which is key for me to feel at ease. Over the weekend there was a club pumping out loud music bothFriday and Saturday which had me reaching for the earplugs but this was certainly not any fault of the hotel.
I love a hotel that offers a hot breakfast and have stayed at other HIE's in California for this feature alone. It saves not only money but precious time. Breakfast was always fresh and plentiful however prepare to wait for tables to free up and to stand in line for food. We were on the go pretty early and it was always full. Patience is a must. I give mad props to the breakfast attendants - especially Farrell who despite the madness always had a sunny disposition and tried to ensure you had what you needed. In fact all of the staff were notably friendly and accommodating. They really can set the tone of your stay. This hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Times Sq- which we didn't really mind but some might. Restaurant row is close as are other fabulous restaurants. I would definitely return and happily recommend.

Room Tip: I called ahead early on our day of arrival to request a king size bed and luckily this was not a pro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelesa,

Thank you so much for the great review. We are happy that your last minute booking turned into a great experience! We are very glad that you appreciated the location and the service. Thank you for recognizing Farrell by name. We will make sure that he is recognized for his service. We hope to see you on your next trip to New York City!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was very happy with this hotel. It's a short walk to Javits and Times Square, close to some great restaurants in Hell's Kitchen. The employees were helpful and the buffet exceeded my expectations. The buffet was always crowded, but if the weather is nice you can eat outside on the large patio.

The first night were were woken up early by construction. Thankfully, we were able to move to the back of the hotel for the rest of our stay. If you can request those rooms ahead of time I would, they have much better view too. Also, after the move a lengthy hand-written letter (with candy!) was delivered to our room, apologizing for the noise.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have less construction noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Cara T,

Thank you so much for the great review. I am so glad that you loved the hotel. I am sorry about the construction noise on the first night, but am glad that it was taken care of for you. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

After researching and reading reviews, I decided to book my vacation on December in this hotel. It was a real surpise. I had asked for 2 beds, and though via phone they said they couldn't promise to deliver my request, they did. It's a good distance from Times Square and the nearest subway station is around 4 blocks but what I paid it's worth it.
The room is small, but comfortable. The value for my money was worth it.
The staff is very friendly and helps on any request. Only "issue" was our room wasn't ready on time, but we could wait on the lobby.
If you travel on winter season and want to walk to your sites, be careful, snow is tricky. On the hotel they have service that can hook you up with transportation.
Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear ADMTZM,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and thought that it was a good value!. We hope that you return soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Location :

The Hotel is Excellently locacted in the 48th street between 10th Ave and 11th Ave...which makes it 15-min-walk away from Time SquRe; Main Bust Terminal and to 7th Ave in General as a main shopping street...its a bit far from the Famous 5th Ave..but u can still walk it if u r a "Walking Person"...Location is Excellent. ..betterocation botels would be much mkre expensive...

Cleanliness:
the room was OK...not very ean nor very dirty..but it was not the best room I have ever been in Cleanliness....especially carpets and bed linen. ...but I didnt spend much at the room so it didnt irrktate me that much....yet u must not expect the cleanest of hotels when u drop by there...

The Hotel Staff:

They r the 2nd best thing after the location...friendly; helpfull and smiley...

Value for Money:

You can easily find a non-Branded Hotel nearby with much lower prices...my advice is to check all the areas for other botels...you woukd find non famous hotels with less prices and same level of cleanliness...all on 48th and 49th street may be...just che k all your options and not go for the botel name u know...it isnt cheap and it isnt WoW..so why not explore other options....

ROOMS ARE VERY VERY SMALL...I guess this is what "Express" Means....but it was Too small...just giving you a heads up..

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Moustafa M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the detailed review! We appreciate all of the feedback. We hope that you enjoyed your time in New York.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel as a rule is quite pleasant except for a few minor things. The breakfast is ok if you can get seated but we really struggled and as a result ate out a couple of times. The lifts are not worth bothering with they take forever. The staff are pleasant and rooms are clean except a little basic.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dieseldavey

Dear dieseldavey,

Thank you very much for the review! We appreciate the feedback. We hope that you enjoyed your time in New York City. Please try us again!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We greeted by Richard on reception on arrival, a larger than life character who was a gem, very knowledgable and made us feel as ease immediately. Although we arrived early our room was available for us. The room was clean and well appointed. The hotels location was great, in a quieter neighbourhood not far from Times Square, the Sea Air and Space Museum and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Breakfast was excellent, a great supply and large selection. My advice would be to get to breakfast early (6.30) as the room is not huge. Altogether an excellent hotel which I would definitely visit again. all staff were friendly.
free wifi was a huge bonus and greatly appreciated

Room Tip: at the moment there is construction at the front of the hotel, so choose a room at the rear for a bi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sean c
Michelle G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York - Manhattan West Side, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear sean c,

Thank you so much for the awesome review! I love the way you described Richard! It definitely fits him. He is great at what he does. I will make sure that he is recognized for his service to you! We are glad that the location was a great fit for you. Please visit us again when you return.