“Great Hotel”

Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central
Ranked #61 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The staff at this hotel was great. It is a small hotel with small rooms as is typical in New York City, but the beds were very comfortable as they always are at The Hampton Inn. Fitness Center was very good. Breakfast was very crowded, but then again it was something free in NYC. Great location as it is just a couple of block to United Nations building and Grand Central Station. Just a few more blocks and you are at Time Square.

1  Thank Gary M
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Gary,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff; I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the rest of the Hampton Inn United Nations Guest Services Team! Please, make us your hotel of choice for any future stays that you may anticipate in New York City. We greatly appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn United Nations and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I paid $139 for a room at this Hampton Inn and since the remodeling the rooms are very nice, though the one I had was on the small side. Good choice if you are staying for 1-2 nights traveling alone. Maybe a little cramped if you are 2 people.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are glad to hear that you found our accommodations satisfactory to your needs. Please, make us your hotel of choice for any future stays that you may anticipate in New York City. We greatly appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn United Nations and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Poor experience with the whole quotes on the rooms and room rates at check out. When you make a reservation they tell you one rate and when you check out the rates are way above the quoted price. Very disappointed at the service at check out with the hotel and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank michelledN8048VR
Elizabeth A, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We use your feedback to try to make your stay the best they can be. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived Saturday April 19 2014 we attempted to check in slightly earlier than the check-in time. The woman at the desk without even checking to see if there were any rooms available immediately told us no and to come back later. When we came back an hour and half past the 3:00 posted check in time, the two double beds that we had booked for our family of four we were told were no longer available. So our choices were either all sleep in one king bed or split into two rooms. Obviously we opted for the two rooms. But again those rooms were not ready either. One room had a previous guests luggage in it and the other room had y t to be finished being cleaned. We were not offered any type of compensation for their obvious mistakes. So on our family vacation I had to share a room with my seven year old child while my husband shared a separate room with our 11 yr old child. We had to run toothpaste and other essentials between rooms and as we played Easter bunny the night before Easter between the rooms, this was hardly my idea of a great hotel stay. The front desk staffed barely acknowledged the inconvenience they caused our family. Why bother booked specific rooms at the higher price if you are not guaranteed them anyway?

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Kristen M

Dear Kristen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We, at the Hampton Inn United Nations, strive to accommodate any and all guest requests and needs, and I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request for an early check-in. We make every attempt to honor such a request, but unfortunately we are limited to our availability, which our staff takes great detail in being aware of at all times, prior to our guests’ arrival. I must also apologize that your room type was not honored at the time of your check-in, and I am very sorry that alternative accommodations that we provided were not available in a timely manner. It troubles me greatly to hear that we caused a damper in your holiday celebrations, while staying with us. Should you plan to return to our hotel, please contact us (212-897-3385) and we will make all necessary preparations for a guaranteed pleasant stay, with an upgraded room type of your preference. Thank you for your patience and understanding in these matters, and thank you for choosing Hampton Inn United Nations. Have a great day!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife & I have just come back from this hotel being there a week.
We were very pleasantly surprised as it is rated 3*, but in our opinion it was much higher.
The hotel was a new build finished in Feb.2013, it has about 17? floors with 6 rooms per floor
arranged round the lifts (2 off).These lifts are QUIET! no probs. with noise at all !
The room was en-suite with a 2 person walk in shower (if you want?)
TV was about 32".Bed was about 7foot by 7foot & VERY comfy!
The staff were brilliant, knowledgeable & very helpful, & nice.
There was a breakfast laid on with 2 hot dishes per morning, with cereals, juices, fruit (in tubs),
yoghurt, toast, do it yourself waffles (very popular), tea, coffee, chocolate etc etc...
for the price a very good deal.
We paid about £175 per night for the room for 2 people all in, which for New York was very reasonable, as most hotels don't give you a breakfast.
Round the corner on 3rd Avenue is an Irish bar Muldoons where went most nights for a quiet drink & Patsy's Italian restaurant down the street was also good.
New York is Awsome... you can't fail to enjoy it !!!
The hotel is situated 2 blocks from the UN buildings, & 1 block from grand central station,
Times square is about 5 blocks more west.
Don't miss Grand Central, Central Park, The staten island ferry.
We went to a show on broadway (the Jersey Boys)Which was mind blowing!
Tickets are cheapest at TKTS in Times Square
matinee tkts booth opens noon.
for evening shows tkkt booth opens at 3 pm
queue is about 200 people for all these shows! but moves quickly when the booths open,
there are staff wondering the queues helping folks, so you only queue most 30 mins when the booths open.The prices for our shoe were half price from TKTS (£53 each) bit dearer than London? but well worth it for a treat

Room Tip: There are rooms with 2 beds & the rest have a Queen? bedsroomsall are the same distance from the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krakenish

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your kind words towards our staff and personal rating of our hotel are greatly appreciated. We will be sure to share this positive feedback with the rest of the Hampton Inn United Nations Guest Services Team! Please, make us your hotel of choice for any future stays that you may anticipate in New York City. We greatly appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn United Nations and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I reached Newyork after midnight....so technically on 16th and it was freezing. The hotel staff informed me that the hotel was full and my room was under maintenance. Hence they would not be able to provide accommodation that night. When I mentioned that I had already paid for the room he pointed that it was not a direct booking and I had booked through Expedia. After a heated argument he agreed to arrange for accommodation at another hotel for that night. He initially refused to help me out with a cab given it was 1 am and the streets were deserted and I am not very familiar with Newyork.
The next morning I called up Hampton Inn only to be answered by the receptionist that there was no booking in my name and the manager would not be available till noon. She refused to provide his mobile no. After many requests and threats she spoke to her manager and agreed to provide a room. All this mess......when I had already prepaid for the room.
Wish this was the end.....but it wasnt,. The hotel's vending machine was not working for 2 days and they refused to provide drinking water. One of the staff members was very rude and mentioned that in such situations drinking water was only provided to Gold and Silver card members. Sorry but do normal human beings like me not require water to survive? I argued but without any results.
The hotel staff was very unfriendly and inefficient. Only good thing.....rooms were clean.

Dear Sreegita,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I can not tell you
how sorry I am that we were unable to accommodate your guaranteed pre-paid booking with our hotel. Unfortunately, our property is not exempt from unforeseen emergency maintenance issues, and I apologize that such an occurrence prevented us from accommodating you. I do hope that you found the alternative accommodations provided by us to be satisfactory and I am glad to hear that you found the cleanliness of our guest rooms satisfactory. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you due to our vending machines being out of service during your stay with us.

On your next visit to Hampton Inn United Nations, please contact us at 212-897-3385, and we will be sure to make your next stay with us a positive and memorable visit, with two bottles of water waiting for you upon arrival. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn United Nations and have a great day!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Everyone at the front desk was helpful and knowledgeable with directions and subway information. The complimentary breakfast saved money and had a good variety of choices. The all day coffee was great.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family