“great location for us in NYC”

Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central
Ranked #63 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, Indiana
“great location for us in NYC”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my first time in NYC. My 24 year old soon and I were in town for a Yankees game and a Mets game. I had no idea where to book a hotel and I did not want to spend $400/night. After a lot of research on Tripadvisor, I settled on this Hampton Inn. I mad my choice based on hotel price as well as parking fees. As you can imagine, everything in NYC is expensive. We lucked out that the parking was "only" $20/day. It may have been where it was located. The hotel is located on the east side near the river between 2nd and 3rd street. However, we walked everywhere. We went to Rockefeller Center...to the Empire State building...Broadway...Madison Square garden...walked! It was a lot of walking but not bad. The best thing is that Grand Central Station was just 3 blocks away. We took the subway to the games and Coney Island for the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest.
The check in was fine. The guys at the desk were nice but not overly helpful. There were approx 8 rooms on each floor. The rooms were a decent size based on the reviews I read about small rooms in NYC. There was plenty of room for the 2 of us as we had 2 queen beds in the room. The bathroom was small but not too bad. Beds were comfortable.
Wi-Fi was fine. Not the fastest but it was acceptable
The continental breakfast was not too good. The pastries were dry. There was the standard stuff like yogurt and cereal. There was a couple of hot items that were just ok. I would give this hotel 5 stars but the breakfast was not good.
Overall, this was a good choice. Price was good, parking fees acceptable. I would stay here again

2 Thank Amos C
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at the Hampton Inn United Nations. It is great to hear your recent stay with our property was to your liking and that you will return when your travels bring you back to the Big Apple!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel is in a wonderful location! Hard to find when walking the first time but easy to find there after. When you step out of the hotel you can see the Chrysler building and down the same road you can see Grand Central. Quick walk for late night foods. Muldoons' is amazing look for Desmond the bartender!!!! Great at those drinks! Also walk to wok is amazing! and if pizza is your thing 99c is right next door great for coming back to your room and snacking! The rooms are bright and airy. If you get my room 1207 the people in the apartments across the way are very friendly and waved good morning to us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank Nphotographer22
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful 4 star review for our property of your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed the local eateries and bar locations near the hotel. It is even more pleasing that you have enjoyed your room and that the New York attitude stigma was proven wrong during your stay! We hope we continue to have you stay with us every time your travels bring you to NYC.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed in three different Hampton Inns in Manhattan with kids- United Nations, Empire State and theater district (Midtown West). Are are nearly identical. All are reliable , clean, ample for NYC, near subways and walk-able destinations, and provide a serviceable breakfast and 24 hour coffee to get everyone out the door. I stayed here with kids to facilitate Eastside events, including a guided United Nations tour- 3 blocks away. Grand Central with trains and subway, is a block away westward. There are plenty of bars and restaurants on Third Avenue (one block east). It is not romantic. It is not a boutique hotel. There is not a lot of charm. That is not the point. I have stayed in boutique hotels that had tiny rooms or poor Heating/ cooling/ elevators. I have also stayed at spectacular hotels that I remember fondly. Hampton Inns in Manhattan serve as a base of operations for Manhattan, they are not an end to themselves. I highly recommend each of these properties to families with busy NYC agendas.

Room Tip: I think they are all about the same in this one and one the Westside. . I did get an Empire State Vi...
2 Thank BryanK8129
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for the time taken to write this 4 circle review for our property. We hope that you continue to choose Hampton Inn’s as your choice of stay for all future reservations here in the Big Apple.
florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I am writing this review because I have received excellent customer service from this hotel. All personnel took care of my issues, eventhough not all had the power to adjust my request, they made sure I spoke to the manager and my issue was well taking care of by Mr. Rodriguez, hotel manager. I am so looking forward to staying in this hotel next week.

1 Thank Sr9218
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
We at the property would like to give many thanks for taking the time out of your day to write this review. We are pleased to hear that our agents showed excellent hospitality and accommodated your requests as best to their abilities. We look forward for all future reservations to come!
Quispamsis, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

You really couldn't have asked for a more perfect location. Just two blocks away from Grand Central Terminal (where you can catch the Subway) and a 15 minute walk to Times Square, yet still on a somewhat less traveled quiet street, it was truly a gem. Overall a small hotel, typical for New York but at the same time had all the amenities needed for a great stay. Before arriving I had seen some comments of small hotel rooms and was a little worried but after checking in, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the rooms were not large, they were average size for New York city and I had stayed in smaller ones before. Ample of room for four people to navigate around although a little tight on storage space. Only 8 rooms per floor so interior hallway noise was very limited and at times sounded like there was no one else staying in the hotel. As for outside noise, although I was on the 10th floor, I really didn't find it that bad. There was a somewhat occasional ringing sound from the building next door and obviously some traffic noise but nothing overly loud. The block of East 43rd that the hotel is situated on is mostly offices (Pfizer), with a few shops and two restaurants, so after suppertime there is really not much traffic passing by.

In regards to location, there is a Avis rent a car office right next door, Starbucks and Dunkin Dounuts just around the corner and a Duane Reade Pharmacy just two short blocks up. Had tons of quick places too eat nearby including a great pizza place one block over that was selling slices of pizza for 99 cents.

Overall a great friendly, clean and comfortable hotel at rates that won't max out your credit card. The only negative thing was one of the elevators was broken on the morning of check out, so after waiting close to 20 minutes for an elevator with enough space to fit myself and luggage and still no luck, I carried my suitcase down 10 flights of stairs as I had a train to catch a Penn Station...

3 Thank Manhattan01
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for the perfect 5 circle review for our property, Hampton Inn United Nations. We are happy to read reviews as yours where our guests are more than content with their stay. Although we had a technical issue during your stay we hope it will not deter you from returning and enjoying our clean comfortable and hospitable staff once again.
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is clean and well managed, close to Broadway Theatre District, Museum of Modern Art, Grand Central Station. It is not a fancy hotel, but the staff is very friendly and very responsive to your needs. Breakfast consists of hot entrees (eggs, sausages, omelettes, the days we were there), cereals, yogurts, make your own waffles, coffee, juices, breads,muffins. Hotel has a good exercise room my daughter frequented and the computers/printer in the business center was FAST. The front desk staff were great with advising where best to see the July 4th fireworks, late check out, etc. Location is great and we would DEFINITELY stay there again.

1 Thank Lblumen447
Thank you for the time taken to write this 5 circle review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotels free amenities as well as the staff’s hospitability. Thank you for choosing our property on your recent stay and we cannot wait to have you here once more.
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I went to the Hotel on the 4th of july weekend. It was a really good experience. The rooms small, but cozy, complementary wifi and breakfast. The staff pretty friendly, they even welcome you with some yummy cookies at the lobby.
Tip: ask for high floor they are pretty quiet, which its unusual in New york city.
The location its great too, close to grand central.
I would go back again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan Grand Central, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for the taking the time to write this review of your recent stay with our property during the 4th of July weekend. We are glad to hear it was a really good experience and that you enjoyed the coziness of the rooms and staffs hospitality. We hope to see you soon!