Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I've traveled to NYC many times for business or pleasure over the past 40 years, and like many of the other reviewers here, have also experienced hotels both "good" (good seasonal prices, good value sometimes, convenient locations, etc.) and "bad" (cramped and noisy rooms, no storage space, postage stamp-sized bathrooms, etc.). By comparison, this recently-opened (February 2013) Residence Inn is EXCELLENT! My wife and I stayed here for about a week and have nothing but the highest praise for everyone and everything. Every staff person we met was exceptionally polite, knowledgeable and sincerely helpful. Wish we could remember specific names, but everyone we met there between April 27 and May 3 was absolutely professional and wonderful. The room itself was among the very best we've stayed in, while in Manhattan. For us, it had everything we needed (nice fully-equipped kitchenette, nice-sized bathroom, plenty of storage space, exceptionally comfortable bed, and very quiet). The location is superior! It's very convenient to everything in mid-town Manhattan; close to subway and bus stops, and yet far enough away from the craziness, like Times Square. I was able to use Marriott Rewards for our stay, but pricing is comparable to other hotels with similar amenities, and maybe even better when you consider a nice hot breakfast is included (by the way, the public breakfast area is huge!). We also liked other public spaces off the lobby, like the comfortable and separate meeting areas, lounging area, and public computer area. I/we HIGHLY RECOMMEND this property to anyone traveling to New York City for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: As mentioned by some other reviewers, even-numbered rooms located on the highest floors have slight...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheBrasilian
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Hello TheBrasilian -

Thank you for staying with us and the great written review. We take pride in the service provided to all our guests and it is wonderful to hear of your experience. It is also great to hear your were able to enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast buffet each morning and our spacious lobby to relax.

We look forward to hosting you the next time your travels bring you to Manhattan!

Greg Dietl - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 13 May 2013

If you haven't stayed in NYC before, you need to know that (as others have mentioned), space is at a premium. I have stayed at a very expensive hotel in the city as well as more modestly priced accommodations (such as the Residence Inn; at least it was moderate with my corporate discount, not sure what regular prices are) and in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to shell out big bucks for a room in Manhattan. First, there is so much to do in the city that regardless of whether you're there on business or leisure, you'll likely not spend a ton of time in the room. Secondly, even the trendy luxury hotel I stayed at before had a tiny room (and no pool). What you should focus on instead is the location - and the Residence Inn is in a great spot in Midtown - a few minutes walk from Times Square and Rockefeller Center (but at the same time, not as crazy busy as those areas).

The room was fine - comfortable bed, nice shower, good Paul Mitchell toiletries. There's also a mini-kitchen - I wouldn't see the use of this except for a long-term stay and maybe not even then. There are just too many dining options right outside, but I guess it's still a nice-to-have. No way around it, rooms are still smaller than what you'll find elsewhere in the country. But again, this is New York.

Everyone was friendly, check-in was quick, and the doormen helped me find taxis.

I didn't have the complimentary breakfast since I was in search of my perfect NYC bagel (which I found at Ess-a-Bagel, just a 5-minute walk away), but I did take a look and it seemed nice. Standard hotel breakfast with breads, scrambled eggs, potatoes, etc., but also Belgian waffle makers, which are always a nice touch.

My one complaint is that the walls are paper thin. Not in terms of hearing city street noises, but in hearing everything down the hall. No one on the floor was being excessively loud, but I could still hear every conversation and every time a door opened and shut. Some good sound-proofing would be a good enhancement because if you are a light sleeper as I am, it may not be a difficult night's sleep.

I'd stay here again, I'd just ask if there's a quieter room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Hello Sunny7777 -

Let me thank you for this review of your recent stay in our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott with its great Midtown East location in Manhattan. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We certainly hope to see you the next time you are in the big apple. Thank you again.

Dania Beach, FL
Reviewed 10 May 2013

In my last trip to New York I stayed in the Residence Inn on 48th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. It was the first time I was in this hotel. I really liked it. The entire personnel was very friendly. The room was very big – the shower was almost a walking closet –. I liked the fact that I had a refrigerator and a little kitchen. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was sufficient and with good variety. The location could not be better. I personally like to walk in New York, but there are several subway stations including Grand Central at walking distance from the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and I was very thankful that I was able to get a room in a higher floor so I didn't hear any noise. Residence Inn is not a luxury hotel. It is a practical one with more than the basics for a comfortable stay in New York.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TrudieA
Dear TrudieA -

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review on our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott in Midtown East. It is great to hear your comments on the team of associates here to provide your with great customer service along with mentioning the complimentary hot breakfast buffet and great location.

We hope to see you the next time your are visiting New York City! Thank you again.

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We spent 3 nights on Eastern week. Very good service I have to make special mention to house keeping in the 7 floor. The staff was very pleasant and attentive and the breakfast in the morning offered many options for all tastes! We stayed in a two queen room with a complete kitchenette, nice comfortable beds, and a small bathroom.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VaferTouring
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Hello VaferTouring -

Thank you for this review of your recent visit to our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan/Midtown East. A special thank you for the praise on my staff including your room attendant. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

North Port, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Went to New York with some friends this weekend. Just a one night stay. The Residence Inn really fit the bill. VERY nice sized room. Clean. Well Maintained. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. Free breakfast is always a plus. Hey, we had a view out of our room even though it was reserved using Marriott points. It's not really close to anything, which I can't decide if it's a plus or a minus. There were a couple bars and restaurants and we were able to walk about 10 minutes to get to Times Square. We were able to sleep with the windows cracked without hearing all the sirens and horns so I'll go with a PLUS! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hello PattyG12 -

I want to thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! It is great to hear your were able to enjoy one of our spacious guest suites including our hot breakfast buffet. We look forward to seeing you the next time your are in Manhattan.

Thank you again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a brand new hotel and it's very nice. The location can be difficult to find on your smartphone maps because it's so new -- use the hotel's address and NOT the name to find it.

The rooms are big - FOR NYC. You MUST know this before coming here or you will be disappointed. If you are used to staying at Residence Inns across the country, please understand that your room or suite will not be like the one you stayed at in, say, Texas. You do get the mini kitchenette, which is nice.

We arrived at 8am, so our room obviously wasn't ready but the staff took our bags and we went off to explore the city. Later in the day, a staff member called us to let us know our room was ready -- at noon! Awesome! We didn't wander back to the hotel until 6:30 though.

Room was clean and modern - plenty of plug-ins for your electronic devices. Beds are comfy and the room was very quiet. They had plenty of towels stocked in the bathroom, which was important because we had 4 people in our room. Usually we have to ask for more, but not this time.

A free breakfast at your hotel is UNHEARD of in NYC, so I definitely appreciate it. This is your standard Marriott breakfast buffet, however, it's pure chaos. Maybe this is different during a weekday but on a Saturday morning, it was a mess. Kids running around everywhere, nowhere to sit (unless you want to get up at Farmer O'Clock), and constantly running out of food, plates, silverware and coffee.

The employees running the breakfast area were doing the best they could - they were doing the best they could. I suggest adding more staff.

Elevator is terribly slow, especially during breakfast hours. Expect the elevator to stop at EVERY floor between the hours of 8am-10am.

We have a room in the middle floors (I think this place only goes up to 16 or 17 so you will NOT get an amazing view of the city staying here) and had a boring view. Fine for us because we've been to NYC before, but if you're looking for a great view from your room, you might want to look at another hotel, or book the penthouse.

The 6 train is very close - like about a 2 block walk. If you're concerned about location, DON'T BE! As long as you are near a subway station, you're good to go. Grand Central is close, if you're coming in that way. We arrived via Penn Station, so we had to take the subway here. If you're deciding between this hotel and the Times Square location, STAY HERE. I've been to NYC a LOT and Times Square is my least favorite area of the city.

Anyway, I'd stay here again! We booked the room on points, so I don't know what the cost was comparably to other hotels, but we had a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear OwlYaDoing -

On behalf of my team of associates, thank you for taking the time to write this review. You are correct when mentioning the large size of our guestrooms for a New York City hotel. We hope to be your host the next time your in the big apple.

Thank you again - your feedback is important and appreciated.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I just returned from a 5 night stay at this new Residence Inn. My parents and I stayed in a two queen room with a perfectly fine kitchenette, nice comfortable beds, and a small but entirely decent bathroom. The front desk staff, especially Sarah, and the doormen, especially Paul, were terrific and very helpful. It's a nice quiet-ish location on 48th between Lexington and 3rd, with an easy walk to Grand Central Terminal or a subway stop a few blocks north. Nice little restaurants nearby, we particularly liked Lexington Brass and Caffe Linda. The only quibble was with housekeeping, which is why this is only a 4 star review, they were were sloppy in replacing towels, failed to replace toiletries and did not vacuum once in 5 nights. Once we complained to the front desk, however, we came back to a beautifully cleaned room for our final night.

I would highly recommend this hotel (except, as others have mentioned, for the eggs at breakfast!).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
RInnMidtownEastNY, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Hello Cyntiap -

Thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay with us at our brand new Residence Inn by Marriott in Manhattan/Midtown East. A special thank you for the 'shout outs' of Sarah and Paul whom provided you with great customer service.

Thank you again as your feedback is greatly appreciated.