“Amazingly friendly staff in an ultra modern hotel”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #41 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazingly friendly staff in an ultra modern hotel”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Spent the long weekend for my daughters 15th birthday
The staff had cupcakes waiting for her. What an amazing start to her weekend
Rooms were large and gym was great

Breakfast was included and was very good

This is my new biz hotel in NYC

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Michael Q
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hello Michael Q-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet, and that your daughter had a special memorable 15th birthday! Our goal is to provide memorable moments for our guests to enjoy for years to come, we look forward to seeing you on your future travels to the big apple!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel has had a recent renovation and meets my every needs for a business hotel. It was clean, comfortable and the staff was up to snuff always looking for ways to make my stay enjoyable. I recommend this location and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room which was 1123. It was close to the elevator, but that never mattered wit...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ELGee2011
Hello ELGee2011-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott New York Manhattan. Midtown East! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our newly remodeled hotel and more specifically our wonderful associates who always ensure our guests stay are memorable and effortless. We look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you to New York City!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have just finished our visit to New York City, and this time we found the best hotel in the city for families. The location is great since it is within walking distance to Grand Central station and Times Square, and the rooms are larger than we expected, but the staff here is just AWESOME. When they found out that it was our son's first visit to the city, they had a picture frame with a great note delivered to our room. Peter and Anthony remembered our names from the moment we checked in, had some great suggestions for meals, and they seemed to know the fastest way to get everywhere. Combined with a great free breakfast and a well-equipped business center, we couldn't have asked for more. We will definitely be staying here for our future visits!

1 Thank James T
Hello James T-

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott! I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed our great location but specifically our wonderful team, including Anthony & Peter. We take great pride in the service we provide and I’m glad to hear that you agree, we look forward to seeing you and your family on your next travels to New York City!

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We reserved at the Residence Inn while my daughter attended a seminar in NYC and I babysat for my 8-month-old grandson. Before we arrived, I received an email from Derek, assistant guest service manager, welcoming us and asking if there was anything we needed or if we were celebrating a special event. Upon arriving, the staff was great. Derek had left a little gift for my grandson in our room! We had a problem with the sofa bed in the living room and they went out of their way to accommodate and solve the problem. The rooms are a very good size and the executive suite is incredibly nice. But most outstanding is the hotel staff. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, but this hotel has nothing to envy in the personalised service. These people really go the extra mile! Thank you, Candy, housekeeper, for trying everything to accommodate the sofa bed; thank you Mike for going out of your way to replace my forgotten magnifying mirror (he went to Duane Reed) and bought me one as a gift. Thanks all, for your superb service! I can't remember all the names, but you were all welcoming and outstanding. I will definitely be back!!

1 Thank lyntavares
Hello lyntavares-

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan/ Midtown East! We strive to exceed our guests expectations by providing personalized memorable experiences and I am pleased to hear that Derek and his team was able to do so, and that Candy & Mike in our housekeeping department were able to elevate your overall experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your future travels to the big apple!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

In many ways this hotel is ideal, the location is good, the surrounding delis and restaurants are too. The hotel has been open one year and that means it has something rarely found in Manhattan; temperature controls that work! What a delight to have spacious rooms, new furniture and temperature controls that aren't on a governor system always set for too hot or too cold. However, yesterday the fire alarm system went off early in the morning and there was no audio explanation ( this fire alarm system has audio speakers) and I noticed the air system continued to run so I assumed it had been a false alarm. Then the NY Fire Dept came lights a blazing and in full force. They were visible outside my window for quite a while and when I called the front desk Anthony said it was " an isolated incident and the fire department would be leaving soon". He seemed to have no sense of understanding what it feels like to be on a high floor with freezing temperatures outside and a fire alarm. Later I was in a packed elevator and asked everyone if they had heard the alarm too. Yes everyone had and their reactions ranged from anger about the lack of hotel communications to gratitude no one was hurt. I believe a truly well run hotel should communication with guests in situations like this, even a notice under the door or a communication by phone but silence is not a sign of service.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hello BuddyDoogie-

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience with us here at the Residence Inn by Marriott. I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy our wonderful location and new guest room amenities and design. I sincerely apologize about the fire alarm going off during your stay, the way high rise buildings are designed in New York City is when an alarm is activated only that particular floor and the floors above/ below are activated with audio and visual alarms, unless our Fire Safety Director feels it is necessary to alarm the entire building.

Again it is my sincerest apology that was not properly described to you and that you felt there was a lack of empathy regarding the situation as that was never our intention. We take all feedback well and working on ways to improve our communication, I hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you on your future travels to New York City.

Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am not very good at leaving reviews for services online, but I felt compelled to sing the praises of the staff at the Residence Inn based on our stay last weekend (Jan. 10-12, 2014).

Ahead of our trip, I sent a very short email to management indicating that we would be traveling to NYC to celebrate our daughters Birthday. Although I never received a reply, upon check-in, the Front Desk staff both went out of their way to wish my daughter a Happy Birthday (unprompted) and they also informed me that they had upgraded our room for our stay. And upgraded we were, while they did indicate we would be on the Penthouse level, our room turned out to the be the East Side Story Suite. What a room! I have never had a room in the city with a rooftop terrace. We didn't get to enjoy it as much as hoped due to the rain on Friday and Saturday, but we were still able to spend some time Sunday morning before our departure.

After making our way into the room (with all of the stuff that comes from traveling with a 1 and 6 year old) my daughter was excited to see two large decorated cupcakes in the living area with a Birthday Wish just for her. It really made her day and helped to erase the memory of the dreary weather outside.

Throughout the weekend, minor requests were handled promptly and with zero attitude. That was a nice departure from some other hotels we have experienced in NYC in the past. Of course any Residence Inn stay helps keep families happy with the daily hot breakfast options.

Based on location, cleanliness, and staff, we won't hesitate to make this location our new NYC hotel for future visits.

Room Tip: East Side Story Suite was a fantastic room. Large living area and kitchen, very large bedroom and a...
1 Thank Jared H
Hello Jared H-

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott! I am pleased to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy our East Side Story Suite with breathtaking views of the iconic Chrysler Building while celebrating your daughter’s birthday! It is our goal here at the Residence Inn Midtown East to always strive to exceed our guests expectations and ensure we create a memorable and effortless experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your future travels to the big apple!

Omaha NE
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn - Midtown East over Thanksgiving. It is very clean, has large rooms, a great staff and a numerous hearty breakfast options each morning. The location is great too, in the Theater District, and near Rockefeller Plaza. This Residence Inn is attractively priced for Manhattan. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hello Mike M-

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott! It is great to see that you enjoyed our wonderful location so close to many of what New York City has to offer in Midtown Manhattan, especially during the Thanksgiving holiday! We look forward to welcoming you back on your future travels to New York City!