“Well run, comfortable, good for a few days visit (and it's reasonable!)”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #45 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Well run, comfortable, good for a few days visit (and it's reasonable!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This hotel, like all Marriott properties, is clean, comfortable and well located. We had a 2 day stay, because of a family visit, but were impressed by the size of the room and its modernity. A bonus was that the price was probably 60 -75% of comparable properties.

Oh yeah, the complimentary breakfast is quite impressive.

We will stay here again, and we will certainly recommend it to others.

2 Thank Wgou
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello Wgou-

Thank you for wonderful review from your recent stay at The Residence Inn by Marriott, I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the size and modern décor throughout the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you again on your future travels to New York City.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our family (2 adults and 2 teens) had a wonderful 3 day stay here in early March. I was really impressed to find such a great hotel at this price range that perfectly met our needs! Hotel is in great location - easy walk to many attractions and two blocks from subway. We couldn't decide between here and Times Sq. and very glad we stayed here - quieter and more upmarket location. As my DH will attest, I am a clean freak and this hotel met my standards! Spotlessly clean common areas and bedroom. Nice modern decor. Comfy beds. I was really impressed to be contacted by Nykia (customer service rep) before my stay. She made good on my requests for a room on a high floor with a view (a bit of the Chrysler bldg!) and more importantly early check in since we had a horribly early flight, and this allowed us to organize ourselves before setting off for a day's siteseeing. All the hotel staff were actually super helpful. Breakfast was good, and especially for free! There was lots of variety incl. yogurt parfaits, fruit salad, waffles, oatmeal, at least 3 hot buffet items (I thought the quality of the cold items was better). It was busy, but dishes were replenished quickly and dirty plates cleared away quickly. I especially appreciated using real china and silverware (not the usual styrofoam plates and plasticware that often comes with free breakfast!). I used the business center and found it to be organized, with everything in working order and well stocked with basic office items. Overall, these guys really set themselves apart from their competition. We would most definitely stay here again and recommend to others!!

1 Thank colorado_visitor
Hello colorado_visitor-

Thank you for wonderful feedback from your recent stay at The Residence Inn by Marriott, I am pleased to hear that you were really impressed with all that our hotel has to offer.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location in midtown with a close walk to many attractions and the closest subway stop only two blocks away. I’m glad that you saw how clean our hotel was, we have a wonderful detail oriented team from housekeeping to guest services.

We are so pleased that you were comfortable in your home away from home and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is such a great find in the city! I have stayed in many hotels around NY and have often felt i didn't quite get enough value for my money- that was not the case here!

I can't say enough about how lovely and helpful the staff were. Everything we needed was provided, including complimentary WiFi!

The hotel is spotlessly clean, the lobby and communal areas are comfortable and homey.

The BREAKFAST is such a selling point! They provide complimentary breakfast buffet every morning and it is delish! (Try making your own Belgian waffle!!!)

The location is right in the heart of midtown, close to both Grand Central and 51st street subway stations which makes it perfect for an easy commute to anywhere in NYC.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and our's had a great view!

Cant find one single fault and I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello DeeL24-

Thank you for taking the time to share your most positive feedback from your recent stay at The Residence Inn by Marriott, I would concur that we are a great find in New York City!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our very service oriented associates and additional complimentary amenities such as Wi-Fi and daily hot breakfast, I would agree the make yourself Belgium waffle is great!

nj/usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We are two adults traveling without children, ages 45&55. The location is prime. Easy walk to Times Square and Grand Central and Subway/ Radio City. Hotel parking across the way ($45 day) The door man was excellent and check-in super fast and informative. Huge lobby and lounge area that served a nice breakfast. I liked that they had never ending coffee and coco. Two elevators serve this hotel and it would have been nice to have 3. Hotel spotless clean. Room was gorgeous. We were on the 12 th floor in a king room on the corner. Nice galley kitchen with everything you need. Anyone on extended business would have all they need to eat in and cook. The bed was comphy--sheets a bit too much starch, kinda scratchy. We had a patio which was heavenly even in 30 degrees. The hotel isnt too tall so dont expect crazy views,,,BUT THIS IS NYC and if ya want the picture postcard view you must pay for them! Bathroom was great with plenty of towels and very clean. Large desk and TV . We didnt use much else, we were out and about taking in NYC! I would love to stay here again

Oh one quick thing. It does not have a bar but a liquor store is on Madison around the corner.

One other thing I'd like to address from other reviews in general. I think people who have never traveled to NYC need to do a bit more research. It is unlike ANY other city in the world (i travel alot) NYC is tight...its old..its crowded and LOUD. Unless a building has been gutted and re done expect very small rooms. small baths especially. Its just how they were made 100 years ago. Enjoy the charm and the marble and the architecture. Its noisy. everyday and night no matter what street because the buildings echo and noise travels down the grid streets. Bask in it--you can have quiet when you get home. Its expensive--very--plan for it. Walk alot..you can get everywhere on foot if you make the effort. Thats all--its unique/adjust and enjoy.

Room Tip: pay the $10 extra for the larger room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dawn5851
Hello dawn5851,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most positive feedback from your recent stay at The Residence Inn by Marriott.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and main lobby that hosts our complimentary hot daily breakfast. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our very service oriented associates from the bellman to guest services.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a wonderful new (only one year old) hotel and now that I have stayed here it will be my "go to" hotel for all future trips to New York City. The staff is friendly and helpful, The rooms are large with a full kitchen. The stylish interior design of the spacious lobby, lounge and breakfast area made it a pleasure to "hang out". There is a full hot and cold buffet breakfast. Yes, lots of hotels have this feature. But what other hotel has staff members stationed in the breakfast area greeting you in the morning and even offering to take you on a tour of the buffet area. On a few of the midweek nights there is also a light dinner offered free of charge - a main course, salad, dessert and beverage. Nothing fancy but what a treat, and what a saving, especially when you are traveling with children and you don't have to go scouting out a restaurant. Here they could eat casually, watch giant TV screens (several were in the lounge and breakfast area). And the location just couldn't be better. I think you have the general idea - I loved this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotel are very quiet.
2 Thank Gramcookie
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hello Gramcookie-

Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan Midtown East. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are now your “go to” hotel when traveling to NYC, we look forward to seeing you soon.

virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great location, close to everything. Very nice and clean room with all the needed amenities for a comfy stay, and I mean everything (Pots and pans/silverware/wine glasses/cups/bottle opener/Wine B. opener/plates. Penthouse has a very large balcony with awesome views, its worth every penny. If you are a light sleeper, they provide earplugs, and if you still complain about the noise from the streets then don't bother coming to NY, its like that in any hotel in Manhattan no matter how high up you are in a building.

Breakfast was great as well, don't really know why some complain about it.

Check in was easy and quick, the front desk personal were professional and kind. Thanks for a wonderful and memorable stay. Will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Choose the Penthouse Chrysler building view. Generous size room with beautiful views of the city.
2 Thank ATARI3
Hello ATARI3-

Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan Midtown East. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in our East Side Story Penthouse Suite with wonderful views of the iconic Chrysler Building and a private outdoor terrace. I look forward to seeing you on your future travels to the Big Apple.

Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We have been a bit Marriott family for a long time, but I rarely use them for business travel. With travel costs on the rise in Manhattan, and our office just a block away, I thought I would try it out. The staff is great, the rooms are very comfortable with a great Marriott bed, big bathroom, and a small kitchen area so you can have a few items close by if you want a quick meal or snack. The gym is perfect for working out on the road and breakfast and wifi are free!!! That saves 50USD a day, at least, at most Midtown hotels. I highly recommend this to anyone staying in the midtown area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello mark8320,

Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan Midtown East, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our service oriented associates and amenities that are great for our business travelers such as complimentary Wi-Fi and 24 hour gym. I hope we have the pleasure of accommodating you on your future travels to New York City.