“Good choice for first timers”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station
Ranked #109 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pershore, United Kingdom
“Good choice for first timers”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights when visiting NY for the first time. We'll situated for all tourist locations and very close to subway.
Staff we're very friendly and our room was changed for one away from the lifts without any fuss. Room was clean and comfy bed typical of Marriotts worldwide. Room had a poor view but was not tiny and had all you could want. Breakfast was included and you could have hot or cold with good choice. Perhaps our only gripe would be that breakfast was very busy, slightly cramped and staff needed to clear tables a bit quicker. Still, breakfast quality was good and saved buying it out. Rooftop bar was tiny but had great views, happy hour from 5.30 till 7.30 is worth it too.
Would certainly stay here again next time we stay in NY,

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timbo3765

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Bel Air, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After a total hotel debacle a month prior to check-in (at a totally different hotel!), we were re-booked for the Fairfield Inn & Suites. As someone who was 99% a Hilton girl, I admit I was skeptical about breaking brand tradition. But I was also hopeful after chatting with a few of the staff to make sure things for myself and my 4 roommates were squared away.

My friend and I arrived super early for our check in, but were greeted with smiles and the staff offered to hold our bags while we traveled. From the front desk to the bell hop, these people were the picture of enthusiastic professionalism. They could teach a course in hospitality.

My friend and I left to do a few things and returned to meet our other 3 roomies, who were hanging out in the gorgeous foyer and had already dropped off their bags. We went out to lunch and came back to formally check into what was probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in.

We had a 2 queen suite up on one of the top floors and I was worried about space with 5 girls (and their makeup and hair things and girl things and clothes) sharing a room. But there was no issue at all. The room was clean, smelled fresh and we all flopped down, smiling. It had a nice size fridge which we stocked with water and soda from the Duane Reade across the street.

We stayed for 4 nights and the staff was wonderful and accommodating the whole time. This is a place where people are genuine and kind and you can tell want to help. I cannot speak highly enough about the staff. Sadly I doubt we will be able to return because the rooms *are* a bit on the pricey side for my group. But this hotel will always be the standard to which I hold other rooms to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah M
NYCPS1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hannah,

Thank you for your kind words. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. The entire staff here are very proud of the hotel and I will share you comments with them. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your stay. It's disappointing that you won't be able to stay with us next year. We like to reward our best customers and you definitely qualify. We would like to offer you the same type room next year at our regular room rate. Please tell me if that works for you and I will take care of booking the suite for you next year.

Best Regards,

wiltshire
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Whilst this isn't the most salubrious area it is the ideal location for travelling the length and breadth of Manhattan. Penn station just opposite and subway stations everywhere. Staff are friendly, rooms clean and quite roomy for NY standards. The beds were extremely comfortable with clean crisp white bed linen.

The rooftop bar is lovely and has great views. One thing that I was disappointed with was being served drinks in plastic cups. It sort of spoiled the ambience. I like my wine to come in a proper wine glass and my cocktails to be presented as cocktails in a cocktail glass. They were rather expensive too, I realise that hotels charge a premium but when there is an Irish bar just round the corner selling beer at half the price it does not encourage you to spend your dollars in the roof top bar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WiltshireScots
Williamstown nj
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The best roof top bar in New York . Rooms wear very clean. Staff very friendly. Yvette in the breakfast room went way out of her way. She is a very good employee.would stay there again. You can walk to all the showed . Time sq, macey. Great weekend.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Kkbbwhite
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed for two nights on business, based mainly on location (very close to Penn Station and my work) and my wife's Marriott Rewards card.

No complaints at all. Room was small - but clean and quiet, all I needed. The "free" Internet is really two options - a free option that's fast enough for email or connecting to work, or a $5/night option that supports streaming video.

Very nice (and underutilized) exercise room in the basement - there are more than enough stationary bicycles, treadmills, and cross trainers. The machine I used was clearly in top condition.

And, of course, the free breakfast is always a plus!

If the weather permits, spend an evening at the rooftop bar, even if you don't drink - the south views are spectacular.

I don't travel to NYC on business often but I know where I'll stay next time I do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ray R
NYCPS1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Ray R thank you so much for the great review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you great stay and was able to take advantage of all the amenities that our hotel has to offer. We understand there are a lot of hotel options in New York City, thank you for making the Fairfield Inn & Suites Penn Station your number 1 choice!

Best regards,
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is my fourth time visiting New York city so going on past experiences I wanted to stay somewhere that was partially removed from the madness of Times Square. This hotel was perfect and yet within walking distance of many attractions and as stated in previous reviews, almost across the road from Penn Station. My husband and myself arrived at JFK airport and took the airport train to Jamaica Junction, where you pay for both the airport train ($5) and tickets for the train to Penn station (think these were around $14 for off peak times).

The hotel has a gorgeous bright foyer, with very comfy seats and complimentary tea/coffee, which is a really nice touch. Huge floor to ceiling windows in the big foyer gives the illusion that you are sitting out on the street and is a great area to just sit and people watch.

Our room was a very good size by New York standards and the bathroom was above average size. The room was kept spotless and the tea/coffee making facilities in the room were once again an added bonus, as was the fact an iron and ironing board were provided. The bed and pillows were very comfy.

Breakfast is self service and was perfectly adequate for our needs. You could sit outside, in the courtyard if the weather was good and the breakfast, which is complimentary, set us off nicely for the day.

On arrival a big plus was the fact that no one was tormenting us to carry our bags, after all we managed to haul them half way around the world at this stage, and were quite capable of carrying them, the last leg of our journey, up to our rooms! The staff were unobtrusive but readily available if needed.

This hotel is bright, homely and has a lovely carefree and relaxed atmosphere. It is very close to Macy's (which can be a bad thing when the credit card bill arrives on returning home)!!!!! Is also
close to the lovely high line walk which is a joy to stroll along. It was an old train line, which has been converted to a lovely walkway bordered by trees and shrubs and gives you a view over the city from an elevated position. It takes you over to Greenwich village, and avoids all the road crossings and noise which you would encounter were you were to take the road route.

Take a train to Brooklyn, the subway is just to the left as you leave the hotel, and then walk back over the bridge and view this vertical city from a different angle. The excellent concierge in the hotel foyer will give you any directions you may require.

This hotel is close to the action, (yet nicely tucked away on a quite road) and within walking distance of Times Square, Grand Central Station and even Central Park (about 30 minutes). We love walking so none of this was much of an effort to us (and you can always get the subway if you're not inclined to walk).

Plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, you'll be spoilt for choice!

A lovely roof top bar, with gorgeous views, crowns this stylish hotel.

Would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LadyBrid
Mumbai
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently. Made the booking based on photos and reviews which were slightly overrated. The location is very good to the subway station. The breakfast is excellent. The rooms were clean and comfortable, however there was no view which made us feel a bit closed. Staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Please chose a room which has a window which does not face the next building as this can make you fe...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shivaramanuma
NYCPS1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
shivaramanuma Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed the Fairfield Inn & Suites Free Hot Breakfast! We apologize that you did not find your room accommodations up to your expectation. If your travel plans bring you back to New York City please contact me directly so I am able to ensure that you have a great stay with a City view room.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,