“Delicious First Experience with Ethiopian Food”
Review of Massawa

Massawa
Ranked #2,836 of 13,618 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Massawa is a family owned business serving fine Eritrean and Ethiopian food. We are conveniently located near Columbia University. Massawa was one of the very first Ethiopian restaurants in the Northeast, and has enjoyed a large following of patrons since its opening in 1988. Everything we serve is natural, fresh, and of the highest quality. We offer exotic dishes, serving everything from spicy to mild flavors, and vegetables to fish, to meat. While we’re known for our hearty vegan and vegetarian fare, we also serve fish, beef, lamb, chicken, and shrimp. We truly have something for everyone. And if you prefer your dishes on the mild side, we can customize any dish to the exact spice level that you wish.Ethiopian food and culture lends itself to sharing, so many of our dishes are served on large platters accompanied by our fluffy injera bread. Our restaurant is perfect for both an intimate dinner date or for a large family dinner. Make sure to order a glass of our honey wine or an Ethiopian beer. Coffee lovers should try our traditional Ethiopian coffee, bunna.
“Delicious First Experience with Ethiopian Food”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The food was simply delicious and the atmosphere was wonderful. They only had one server, but the food came on time and it was wonderful. Definitely a wonderful way to experience Ethiopian food.

Seattle, Washington
“Fine Eritrean/Ethiopian food”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

During our NYC holiday we accidently came by the Massawa on Amsterdam Ave. Having never eaten Eritrean or Ethiopian before, we were attracted by the fine smell. Skimming the menu outside of the restaurant we quickly decided that we had to try this.

Our food (the vegetarian combo) was served quickly, the restaurant not beeing very crowded. The combo consisted of different dishes which were served along with pancake-like or naan-like bread that serve as "cutleries". So you pick up the dishes with a piece of that bread in your and and eat it. The three dishes of the vegetarian combo were a pureed chick peas dish, a potato-carrot dish, and a collard greens dish. All dishes were delicious with just the right amount of spiciness. The vegetables seemed fresh to us and the food was not greasy at all.

Altogether, we liked the Massawa food a lot and we regret that we don't have a place like that back home.

• Visited June 2013
Rahel T, Manager at Massawa, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review of our restaurant. I'm glad you "accidentally" stumbled upon us and enjoyed all we had to offer! I look forward to sharing this with the rest of our team—I'm sure they'll be just as excited to see this as I was. We hope to welcome you back next time you're in the city. Take care.

All the best,

Wayne, IL
“Quality, Taste and Value”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I ate lunch here last week. I found it to be an excellent value. About $20 for two with no beverages. We had an assortment of meats and dips and that wonderful spongy pancake type bread. The service was courteous but not too speedy.

• Visited February 2013
Rahel T, Manager at Massawa, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed dining with us. Providing our customers with great value and courteous service is what we're all about! I hope to welcome you back again soon. I know we have what it takes to earn that fifth star from you!

All the best,

San Francisco, California
“Favorite Ethiopian in NYC.”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My favorite Ethiopian food in NYC, hands down, out of the half dozen I've tried (with repeat visits to a few of those, so I feel as if I can judge).

Lots of flavor, fresh ingredients, and - key point - not at all greasy. Vegan options too. Great music, friendly staff, cosy, a great place alone or with one person or with a group - I've done every combo. Some of my favorite dishes are the beef sambusa (tasty spiced beef in a light pastry shell; served with two delicious sauces, including the flavorful spicy red one that I adore - and that I empty each time), and the veg combo. Everything I've had here is good and one feels like they love serving good food, it's not 'just a business'. If you are as crazy about Ethiopian food as I am, they also have an online store for ordering spices, etc.

Good selection of wines, too, in addition to the traditional tej (honey wine).

Massawa, please do not change anything, you all do a wonderful job and I am a big fan!

• Visited December 2012
Rahel T, Manager at Massawa, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
We’re so happy to hear that you’re a fan of our restaurant! You hit it right on the nose when you said we love serving good food and aren’t “just a business”. We want our customers not only to enjoy their meals but the entire dining out experience as well.

Thanks for pointing out that you loved the sambusa. We take pride in all of our authentic Ethiopian dishes, so it’s wonderful when customers take the time to show their appreciation. I hope to see you here during the holidays for a glass of wine and a delicious meal!

Warm regards,