“Wonderful Production!”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful Production!”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Twelfe Night was outstanding! Stephen Fry wonderful as Malvolio and Mark Rylance spectacular as Olivia.

Very much enjoyed this Shakespeare comedy, and the authentic costumes were a key reason for our New York visit. We were not disappointed.

Tip: arrive 20 minutes early and watch the actors dress in Elizabethan costumes.

Visited January 2014

Rochester, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Twelfe Night - an impressive performance in an impressive setting!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

After having hardly any in depth experience of Shakespeare's work since my school days (although I read Twelfe Night soon after I found out I had received tickets for this show to get the jist & really enjoyed it!) - I have to say I was completely absorbed by Mark Rylance's performance as the quirky and amusing character of Olivia, along with the wonderful Stephen Fry's Malvolio, as well as the rest of the cast's performances. A fantastic night out - I found the story immensely entertaining and easy to follow - as did my fellow companions. It was a further treat to arrive early & watch the actors getting dressed in their costumes & make up - very interesting and entertaining in itself.
The theatre itself is beautiful, with Tiffany making it's mark in the decor in tremendous ways - however, we had balcony seats and there is not much room if you are a tall person as my husband found out - he did have an end of aisle seat (front row of balcony) so he could turn his legs out slightly to achieve a bit more comfort! Being a bit shorter I found it no problem but it is an old theatre! It is a place full of character and looking at all the decor within the theatre is almost a show in itself!

1 Thank sarahjk76
Groton, Massachusetts
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Richard III - Stunning theater”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The theater itself is surely one of New York's most beautiful - taking in the place itself is part of the experience. We saw Richard III with Mark Rylance, and fortunately had stage side seating. In short one of the finest pieces of theater I have ever seen. Rylance is as good as Robert Lindsay was (though taking the King in a slightly different direction) and that is saying something. Little wonder this is a sold out season.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Richard III”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Such a great production and the $25 dollar seats were just brill. Very different seeing the actors getting dressed and made up on stage before the performance. And you even got a programme for free!!
Not sure the Americans get Shakespeare though. as one woman in the toilet queue was heard to say "Do you think they wrote it themselves - it's very funny" !! And I wasn't allowed to stand up at the end to show my appreciation of such a wonderful production.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Twelfe Night - a wonderful performance at the Belasco”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was a bit concerned about going to see the Globe Theatre's production of Twelfe Night at the Belasco because the show was nearly sold out when I ordered tickets a month prior to our visit(and was fully sold out the night of the show), and the best seats I could get were in the last row of the left side of the mezzanine. We were in row H, seats 11 and 13, and we had a fine view, no obstructions and did not miss any of the action onstage. The seats are raked enough that I could see with no problem despite having a tallish man in front of me. However, the aisle are VERY narrow - I am 5'8" and my knees were right up against the seat in front of me. Passing by seated people at intermission is a VERY tight squeeze, but the seats were not uncomfortable for the duration of the show. The theatre is not that large, so even from the back of the mezzanine we felt that we had a fine view of the play.

The play itself is delightful. We lined up outside the theatre at 7 pm (and by 730 the line of ticketholders was around the block) so that when the doors opened, we were able to go right in and watch the actors get dressed and wigged and made up onstage, which was very interesting. The costumes are beautiful and the actors are top notch. Mark Rylance makes a very funny and entertaining Olivia, and there is a lot of physical comedy that provides laughs and makes the story easy to follow. We enjoyed the play very much.

Be advised that you are not supposed to take soft drinks from the bar into the theatre but if you purchase the overpriced $10 souvenir cup of soda with a lid (free refills at intermission) you may take those in. Also, we attended the show on Dec 26th and the vendor downstairs had just gotten in the souvenir programs which were available for purchase.

1 Thank Val K