“Best Meal of the Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,463 of 13,478 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Cielo at The Mayfair is a cozy reincarnation of Caffe Cielo, a popular theater district destination for the past 25 years. Now located next door on West 49th Street just a stone’s throw away from some of Broadway’s most popular shows, Cielo is the perfect place to enjoy a great meal before catching a show. Our delicious Italian fare, rustic decor, friendly staff and affordable prices make Cielo the perfect destination for pre-theatre dinner, post-work drinks or a late night out with friends.
Bethel Park, PA
“Best Meal of the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Wish we had discovered Cielo at the beginning of our trip or we would have eaten there a second time on this trip. Stopped one night for drinks and the bartender and waiter could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Decided to give the restaurant a try on our last night and we were very impressed. The pasta was homemade and delicious. Each of us had a different dish and we all sent back empty plates to the kitchen. Pedro was our waiter and he was excellent. He was attentive without being overbearing. We raved to him about the food and to our surprise, Pedro presented us with dessert "on the house". We were all so full from dinner but the Tiramisu was the best we had eaten and we wound up eating every bite. Prices were pretty reasonable. We would not hesitate to eat at Cielo's again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isabella G, Manager at Cielo at the Mayfair, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
I'm so glad you found us, though I too wish you'd been able to come more than once! Thank you for this fabulous feedback, and I'll be sure to pass along your kind words to Pedro. I hope you'll be visiting us again the next time you're in NYC -- we all look forward to welcoming you back!

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hermosillo, Mexico
“Just great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I went to NYC a week ago, can say it was one of the best restaurants I ever been. Small and nice restaurant that make you feel like you are in home :)
The service was superb as well as the food! an awesome place to dinner, if you have a chance to go you won't regret it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isabella G, Manager at Cielo at the Mayfair, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I'm so glad you came by, Javier, and that your experience was so excellent. Thank you for taking the time to let us know, and we hope you'll visit again the next time you're in NYC. We look forward to welcoming you!

Cinnaminson, New Jersey
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We were visiting the city overnight and finding a place for dinner fell on my shoulders. I was nervous picking a place as there is so much to choose from in NYC. I used the reviews on this site to help narrow my choices. I couldn't have been happier with this restaurant. We were a party of five and everyone loved their food and said they would come back in a heartbeat. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. When she told me the capellini was homemade, I was sold. It came with a tomato and basil sauce. It was delicious and wonderfully light. One in our party ordered Penne Alla Russa (vodka sauce) and those who tasted it said that is what they would order next time. We will definitely go back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isabella G, Manager at Cielo at the Mayfair, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Of course the options here in NYC are nearly unlimited, and I'm delighted that you chose us! Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know, and for sharing this fantastic feedback. I truly hope we'll see you again the next time you're in the city, and we'll do our very best to continue to impress you. I'm so grateful to you for taking the time to share this recommendation, and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Birmingham, Alabama
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

On one of the coldest nights ever, the Cielo came through for us. Tucked away below street level, it's a small place with a great deal of charm. Food was good, service friendly and (mostly) attentive. Discovered by accident, but will be back.

Visited January 2014
Isabella G, Manager at Cielo at the Mayfair, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
We look forward to having you back, and I'm happy to know that the food was good and the service were good; though we hope to perfect your next experience with us! I hope your next visit is soon, and I know that we all look forward to welcoming you.

Summit, New Jersey
“Poor service, greasy food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I decided to visit this quaint little place next to the Mayfair hotel. We were greeted by a friendly bartender who asked us to wait about ten minutes before we could be seated. We both decided to have a drink while the time passed - that was where the niceties came to a halt.

Shortly within the ten minutes, a seemingly nice hostess told us the seating became available due to a party being a 'no show.' She then looked at us and stated, "Make sure you spend alot of money." An off putting statement, we smiled and moved onward.

We then sat at our table, across from a very cold wind coming from a bathroom door that doesn't swing closed. We were never greeted and waited 10 minutes before we asked the busboy if we could order. We asked if there were specials, he mentioned two items.

My wife and I ordered two pasta dishes, one being with whole wheat linguine. I ordered the Bolognese. We then waited another 10 minutes before bread was brought out, the waitress kept walking passed us, as she never acknowledged our presence. An additional 5 minutes passed and my wife asked the bartender for water, she brought it over...

Another 15 minutes went by before our food came out. We had to ask about an update as we had been there for nearly 50 minutes without a waitress acknowledging our presence and the food not arriving - we had a show starting in 30 minutes at this point.

Mind you, NOT ONCE did the waitress come over to our table as she walked passed up to attend to the other 3 surrounding us.

Eventually the food arrived. My wife's whole wheat linguine turned out to be Penne. She asked why it wasn't as ordered, the busboy stated, "we don't have whole wheat linguine." She asked him why he didn't mention that, he shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Her food was swimming in olive oil and my Bolognese was greasy and more like chopped meat which possibly had been sitting for more than 5 hours. We sat there wondering what took nearly 50 minutes to saute mushrooms and spinach for her dish and grab the ladle and place it on cooked spaghetti for the old, leftover Bolognese.

Seven minutes into our eating, the waitress FINALLY came over to check in. I asked if she was indeed our waitress, she said "yes." I asked why she never introduced herself, and if there were any specials. She then said, "We don't have specials!" I then informed her that the busboy offered us 2 separate specials. I then let her know that we were completely dissatisfied with our meal. She shrugged her shoulders, said "I'm busy," and walked away.

In the end, we ended up getting the check and walking up to the bartender to pay the bill. No manager was ever brought over, nothing was ever done, and we will NEVER recommend Ciello at the Mayfair. The food and service were poor, poor, poor.

I just feel bad for the bartender. She deserves to work somewhere that respects their customers.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Isabella G, Manager at Cielo at the Mayfair, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Let me start off by apologizing for your less than stellar meal with us. It sounds like we dropped the ball on numerous occasions, and I truly am sorry that your pre-show dinner wasn't spectacular. The comment about you two spending "a lot of money" was an attempt at a joke, but I completely understand if it didn't come across that way. As for the rest of our staff, we don't make a habit of micommunication like that. I'll check in with everyone to ensure no customer has to feel neglected like this again.

I hope you enjoyed your play, and I truly am sorry.