“Good and Fast”

Neighbourhood: Midtown
Crestview Hills, Kentucky
“Good and Fast”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I was in the City for business meetings all week, a couple of doors away from Essen. The local guys suggested we get take-out at Essen, which we did two days in a row.

When you first walk into Essen at lunch, you're immediately bombarded with frantic, somehow organized chaos. Regulars are dancing around each other (and you), grabbing hot and cold food from a multitude of serving counters. The cashier is checking people out at a frenzied pace. I didn't see any seating or counters for eating in.

I figured, okay, this will be fast, but will it be good? No worries in the end. I filled a box with a good assortment of hot items, which turned out to be quite tasty at a very reasonable price.

If I'm ever back in that part of NYC, I'll be stopping in to Essen again. Very satisfied.

• Visited December 2013

New York City, New York
“reasonable price midtwon breakfast”
Reviewed 11 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

the breakfast platter my favorite western omelet is simply the best. Lunch is great and very reasonably price!!

Visited December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was great - everybody should eat at Essen - staff were so helpful - food wonderful. Oatmeal with fresh fruit, pancakes, wonderful omelettes, coffee, dim sum and tai food

Visited July 2013
New York City
“Extraordinary Salad Bar! Madison Ave. btw 26&27.”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Essen is not your ordinary salad bar/deli. I was there at 11:30am when owner was overseeing the placement of the teriyaki salmon, grilled whole fish, salads galore and more. Fresh, gorgeous food of 5-star uniqueness. I'll post a photo next time I'm there!!!

• Visited September 2013
Westfield, Massachusetts
“The Midtown Commisary”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I stopped in at their newer place at 290 Madison (between 40th and 41st) for a breakfast bite on Monday. There also appears to be a branch in the Flat Iron District (29 Madison). It is a little like walking into a carnival or street fair, there are so many counters and stations. People were loading up for lunch as well as breakfast on the go. There is some spartan and clean seating on the second floor, which we used to digest our coffee, muffin and bagel.

While the ambiance is pure takeout, cafeteria, this appears to be a good venue for no nonsense, value, variety and speedy dining. The "Fast Slow Food" motto grabbed our attention, and also a coffee cup where they got it reversed: "Slow Fast Food!" With a real United Nations of workers and customers, they cover an incredible range of cooking, from deli to sushi, hot pasta dishes to vegetarian.

Our objective was just to avoid the overpriced captive hotel breakfast racket, and we succeeded. A decent bagel, with plenty of lox and cream cheese for $6.95 was a bargain. The quality was very good although not stellar. The Colombian Coffee was fine, although I was skeptical with half a dozen flavored coffees next to it, for apparently a large number of people who have to doctor their drink.

I am concerned that they may be trying to do too many things, but for our basic breakfast, it was fine.

• Visited August 2013