“WOW - variety and goodness feels like home”

Essen Slow Fast Food
Ranked #1,956 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our hotel recommended this place and it became our favourite choice for a quick lunch or breakfast during our stay in NYC. Our first experience was lunch the first day we arrived while waiting for our hotel room to be ready. After a long stressful morning of travel Essen lightened our moods and gave us some home goodness. The variety was unbelievable - select from the buffet or order fresh to your liking. A great healthy alternative in a fast paced city. Venturing out the next morning for breakfast made us realize this was the place so a daily stop in for breakfast to go back to the hotel was a ritual.....always fresh and always a wonderful variety. The place was spotless and so bright and inviting. I wish we had one of these at home!!!!

The only downfall....not many table available during lunch with the working crowd but the food made up for that easily.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was in NY for a fun weekend, and based on previous reviewers decided to experience the Essen. Yes the menu was extensive and and fulfilling, yes the food was delicious. Was it worth the wait and long line? Very debatable. Contrary to other reviewers, I found the staff to be discourteous…and I could only remember this one counter man, I would call him out on line.
The food was delicious…the rest, I suppose, comes with the territory

Reviewed 26 March 2014

They got a multituide of options to choose from to satisfy the pickiest eater. Salads, sandwiches, korean dishes, sushi, extensive salad bar and soups. Has been coming here for quiet some time. The food always tastes fresh and the service super fast.
Great place for lunch.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I love this place! The staff is so friendly, and when I have custom food requests, it does not
take long to get my food. The buffet table always contains fresh and seasonal items, and you can almost always find something even for the most picky of persons.

In addition to the buffet area, they offer soft drinks and juices, Salads, Hot and cold sandwiches, soups and morning oatmeal, snack and health bars, baked goods (muffins etc) and really just about anything you would want. They have up to four cash registers so you will not spend all your time waiting in line, I am usually in and out in a flash!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We went at like 9am on a Sunday morning so the salad bar and the places that make the sandwiches were not open but there was a buffet style breakfast bar with scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with spinach, potatoes, bacon, sausage. You just put however much you want on your plate and they weigh it out. It was like $8/Lb or something. It all tasted pretty good, and for the area it is probably the best deal on real breakfast that you can find besides McDonalds.