“Outstanding revival of a 70's classic”
Review of Pippin The Musical - CLOSED

Pippin The Musical
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had high expectations of this show, having seen the original with Ben Vereen in the 70s. This new adaptation was thrilling with solid acting and singing and unbelievable acrobatics and dancing. Don't miss it! Annie Potts as the Grandma was the biggest surprise and the biggest crowd pleaser. Truly magical!

1  Thank ColoradoMusicTeacher

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I saw Pippin way back when and loved it!! Wasn't sure if I would like this circus-themed revival. I was pleasantly surprised! The story is still there. The gorgeous music is still there! These actors are not only excellent, but entice you with excitement!! Although there are some scenes with eye candy for both guys and gals, it is appropriate for all ages. I would think kids would love it! Lots of fun! A great message! And beautiful music!

1  Thank kenfr
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Saw this Tuesday night after getting half price tickets from the tkts booth. The actors and acrobats were absolutely brilliant, it was funny at times too. The only thing that let it down was the rubbish storyline. I'm glad I've ticked it off my list but I wouldn't bother going to see it again. The seats are horrendous too I'm sure they're made for anorexic midgets!!!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Pippin is one of my favorite musicals. One of my favorite scenes is the opening which has white gloves in black light beckoning to the audience. Unfortunately this rendition decided to leave that out.

This new version is more of a circus-themed revue with acrobatics reminiscent of Cirque du Soleil. The men are much "hunkier" than the old version because of the acrobatics required. Everyone is buff. Even Pippin seems to have his shirt off more than on! The acting and singing are very good and the basics of the story remain intact. Sometimes there is breathiness in the singing of songs as the actors struggle to perform physical feats and sing at the same time.

As usual the grandmother (who doesn't look "grandmotherish" at all in this rendition like Irene Ryan did) steals the show. She's so good looking that you feel inferior if you're near her age as she too gets on the acrobatic bar!

The ending is more chilling than the original, but I will not reveal it here - you'll have to see it for yourself!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We happened to catch the first performance of Kyle Massey and Ciara Renee as "Pippin" and "Leading Player" respectively. They delivered a fabulous portrayal and are true professionals. The rest of the cast remain as dazzling and engaging as ever.

I'll keep it short. It exceeded my expectations. It was definitely fun and magical with moments to amaze, provoke and tug at your heart strings. Worth your hard earned money.